Does Terry Pegula Have A Clear Strategic Plan?

I'm asking the question, not stating it as a fact or even an opinion. But right now, here is what we know:

Marrone chose to walk away and pocket some cash instead of working for Pegula.

Polian talked to Pegula about serving as a consultant, and said "no thank you" - again, all he was going to do was consult, and something turned him off about the situation.

Pat Lafontaine stormed out of the Sabres' organization because something about the management structure drove him mad.

Right now, there does not appear to have been any coherent plan in place for the beginning of the NFL offseason - Pegula's first as team owner. He's had several months to figure out what he wanted to do, yet it seems like he's in reactive mode to the events unfolding in front of him. Maybe there's a plan and we're not privy to it, I really don't know. But I'm starting to wonder if this guy knows how to run a sports franchise. Something about him seems to be radioactive.

Again, I'm just asking the question. I guess we'll find out soon enough.

Edited by Coach Tuesday

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm asking the question, not stating it as a fact or even an opinion. But right now, here is what we know:

Polian talked to Pegula about serving as a consultant, and said "no thank you" - again, all he was going to do was consult, and something turned him off about the situation.

Pat Lafontaine stormed out of the Sabres' organization because something about the management structure drove him mad.

ctive.

Much too early in the game to be making such charges...

I'm not quite sure what the answer is but from being getting stabilzed this franchise is all of a sudden becoming quite a mess once again. Not only do we have internal fighting going on but apparently we now have former alumni turning their backs on us! Marrone is a snively, whiny little B word if you ask me. I fought that a lot of past hirings were bad but this one might be the worse evler!

I don't think you can possibly know at this stage. What I would say is this - the Bills better have started to execute their plan. They are already 2 and a half days behind the other teams and in all likelihood more, because those teams probably new at least a fortnight ago they would be looking for a Head Coach. I don't think this is the strongest pool of candidates ever so the Bills need to get out there and start interviewing.

I really worry Pegula is so infatuated with Cowher we will waste a week trying to coax him out of retirement and then, when he ultimately decided TV is a cushier number, turn around and find out the best options elsewhere have gone. I suppose the only good thing is that with Schwartz under contract unless he gets a HC opportunity he would still be there as a back up in that situation.

What has happened over the past 24 hours is a continuation of what has been reported dating back to last February, regarding organizational infighting and rumors of instability. I'm not sure I can blame the Pegulas for anything just yet.

Regarding LaFontaine--- as much as I love him, he is the one with the reputation for being difficult. He left a position with the NY Islanders after a very short period of time before Terry hired him in Buffalo.

I have concerns about the Pegulas, but the paranoia and antagonistic natures of both Marrone and LaFontaine long preceded their time working for Terry and Kim.

Edited by Punch

Pegula's reign as the owner of the Sabres has brought them to being bottom feeders. If enough of their developing talent proves NHL worthy, and if the HC does as well, then they could bounce back in 3 or 4 years. If not, the Sabres are starting their own epic playoff drought. The Sabres now have precious little NHL caliber players so there are a lot of positions to fill with developing talent.

It is too early to grade him as a NFL owner. All of this current **** he inherited. He just wanted to keep the team in Buffalo.

Pegula has a lot of money, and does not seem reluctant to spend it. So far that's about all the good that can be said. But incompetent, it's far too early to say. But it cannot be discounted at this point either.

Edited by CodeMonkey

I'd stop short of incompetent (for now), but yes, he's a Rookie in s very veteran League. His 1st couple seasons as Sabres owner left a lot to be desired. I agree it seems he's in a reactive mode. The wheels just fell off his new car while driving through the mountains.

Right now, there does not appear to have been any coherent plan in place for the beginning of the NFL offseason - Pegula's first as team owner. He's had several months to figure out what he wanted to do, yet it seems like he's in reactive mode to the events unfolding in front of him. Maybe there's a plan and we're not privy to it, I really don't know. But I'm starting to wonder if this guy knows how to run a sports franchise. Something about him seems to be radioactive.

The season isn't over. There are playoffs with lots of candidates available. Afterwords.

Really Marrone took a contractual way out. and apprently didn't like it there. pegula has owned the

Team since October, Marrone was there for 2 years and brandon way too long Whaley, etc. I cannot see any reason that Pegula

Has influenced anything yet, Sabres excluded.

What has happened over the past 24 hours is a continuation of what has been reported dating back to last February, regarding organizational infighting and rumors of instability. I'm not sure I can blame the Pegulas for anything just yet.

Regarding LaFontaine--- as much as I love him, he is the one with the reputation for being difficult. He left a position with the NY Islanders after a very short period of time before Terry hired him in Buffalo.

I have concerns about the Pegulas, but the paranoia and antagonistic natures of both Marrone and LaFontaine long preceded their time working for Terry and Kim.

And Polian too for that matter. Still, what is the plan here, Terry? They've known the opt-out was a possibility for months.

No, the Bills front office has been a dysfunctional mess for years now and he inherited that mess.

Remember Marrone and Whaley having a screaming match? BTW Marrone reported to "the owner" who was Ralph (i.e Russ) not Whaley.

Time to clean out the people who have been trying to get over on each other and bring new people in.

Edited by TheFunPolice

I'm just asking the question. It would be nice to hear what the plan is. The clock is ticking.

Sure you are.

Talk about a couched question!

Oh, and Patty LaFontaine didn't "storm out of the organization", he was tossed out on his ass. Pegula did him a favor by saying Patty "resigned."

GO BILLS!!!

I think he showed great competence in his handling of St. Doug. He did exactly as he should have.

I think he offered Polian an advisory job without any real power. I'm not quite sure of the reasons that Polian declined it, but it could very well be that Polian liked Marrone. That is not incompetence by Terry.

The LaFontaine incident has a lot of rumors behind it. The upshot of the whole ordeal and mess, however, was that the Sabres got a great GM whom everyone seems to like (when was the last time that happened?) as well as a good coach for now. However messy it was, was because of personality clashes. Not incompetence, although it's possible that Terry and Patty came up with this job that didn't have specific parameters, which led to some of the trouble.

Pegula's reign as the owner of the Sabres has brought them to being bottom feeders. If enough of their developing talent proves NHL worthy, and if the HC does as well, then they could bounce back in 3 or 4 years. If not, the Sabres are starting their own epic playoff drought. The Sabres now have precious little NHL caliber players so there are a lot of positions to fill with developing talent.

It is too early to grade him as a NFL owner. All of this current **** he inherited. He just wanted to keep the team in Buffalo.

Pegula has a lot of money, and does not seem reluctant to spend it. So far that's about all the good that can be said. But incompetent, it's far too early to say. But it cannot be discounted at this point either.

You do know that the Sabres deliberately dismantled the team for prospects and draft picks, right? Right now their farm system is considered the strongest in the NHL.

Edited by PromoTheRobot