How about Michael Sam?

Joaquin1119

• Replies 266
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What's he worst that can happen? Dude was dominant in the SEC and we could use some depth.

I don't understand why he isn't getting more looks

I'm sorry but this is flat out not true at all. Yes he won the defensive player of the year in the SEC, but it was really all smoke in mirrors. In his senior year he had 11.5 sacks. 9 of those (3 each) came against Arkansas St (not SEC), Vanderbilt (perennially one of the worst SEC teams) and Florida (who have had the worst Florida teams in the last 30 years the past few seasons). That leaves a whopping 2.5 sacks in the other 11 games, not very impressive at all. Not to mention his first three seasons he only had 7 combined. Finally, you have to remember that teams were also protecting more against Kony Early who is much more significant presence. Sam is knows only as a pass rusher, and he's not even that great at that when you break it down. The fact is, if he were a heterosexual man you would have never heard his name again after he won the SEC award.

I'm sorry but this is flat out not true at all. Yes he won the defensive player of the year in the SEC, but it was really all smoke in mirrors. In his senior year he had 11.5 sacks. 9 of those (3 each) came against Arkansas St (not SEC), Vanderbilt (perennially one of the worst SEC teams) and Florida (who have had the worst Florida teams in the last 30 years the past few seasons). That leaves a whopping 2.5 sacks in the other 11 games, not very impressive at all. Not to mention his first three seasons he only had 7 combined. Finally, you have to remember that teams were also protecting more against Kony Early who is much more significant presence. Sam is knows only as a pass rusher, and he's not even that great at that when you break it down. The fact is, if he were a heterosexual man you would have never heard his name again after he won the SEC award.

Basically, he's Aaron Maybin. But with a boyfriend.

I'll say for the record that I think he had a rough break. I honestly think that if pure talent was the only issue, he'd probably be at least depth on someone's team.

But his role here would be what Hughes already does: come in on a rotation for nickel and dime packages. The difference being that Sam would do it less well.

I went to Mizzou and I've watched every game Michael Sam ever played at Mizzou. I've seen Justin Smith, Ziggy Hood, Aldon Smith, Sheldon Richardson, Kony Ealy, Michael Sam, Shane Ray, and Markus Golden all play on the D-line. Michael Sam is not the athlete that either Smith, Sheldon, Ealy or Ray is but the guy was an excellent football player at Mizzou. I'm telling you he could play and play well in the NFL. He's not an elite athlete by any means but the guy is a gamer who I think could excel as a situational pass rusher. He might not have elite "get off" but he just has a knack for getting to the QB. Who cares if 9 of his sacks came against Arkansas State, Vandy, and Florida? Those were three games he absolutely dominated. What about the year before against Alabama when he had 1.5 sacks and 2 forced fumbles? Or in the preseason with the rams when he had 2.5 sacks in very limited snaps (rams were loaded at D-line otherwise he would have made the team). Anyway, it's just my opinion buy I think this guy could totally play in the NFL and be effective. I think you have to know what you are getting though, he would be a situational pass rusher. I think him being gay does have something to do with him not being on a roster. I think teams feel for what they get in Sam isn't worth the media circus that would accompany signing him. If they didn't have to deal with that I think he'd definitely be on a team. Just my opinion.

I went to Mizzou and I've watched every game Michael Sam ever played at Mizzou. I've seen Justin Smith, Ziggy Hood, Aldon Smith, Sheldon Richardson, Kony Ealy, Michael Sam, Shane Ray, and Markus Golden all play on the D-line. Michael Sam is not the athlete that either Smith, Sheldon, Ealy or Ray is but the guy was an excellent football player at Mizzou. I'm telling you he could play and play well in the NFL. He's not an elite athlete by any means but the guy is a gamer who I think could excel as a situational pass rusher. He might not have elite "get off" but he just has a knack for getting to the QB. Who cares if 9 of his sacks came against Arkansas State, Vandy, and Florida? Those were three games he absolutely dominated. What about the year before against Alabama when he had 1.5 sacks and 2 forced fumbles? Or in the preseason with the rams when he had 2.5 sacks in very limited snaps (rams were loaded at D-line otherwise he would have made the team). Anyway, it's just my opinion buy I think this guy could totally play in the NFL and be effective. I think you have to know what you are getting though, he would be a situational pass rusher. I think him being gay does have something to do with him not being on a roster. I think teams feel for what they get in Sam isn't worth the media circus that would accompany signing him. If they didn't have to deal with that I think he'd definitely be on a team. Just my opinion.

I agree, he does seem to be getting the Tebow treatment. IIRC he was consistently mock drafted in the 3rd or 4th rounds before he came out. To fall all the way to the 7th, and then not even be able to stick on a practice squad, does seem conspicuous.

I agree, he does seem to be getting the Tebow treatment. IIRC he was consistently mock drafted in the 3rd or 4th rounds before he came out. To fall all the way to the 7th, and then not even be able to stick on a practice squad, does seem conspicuous.

to be fair, plenty of players don't end up near their early mocks

Apparently all the NFL decision makers do. There is a huge difference between dominating crap college football teams and being an effective NFL player. I'm sorry, but you need to lose your Mizzou homer goggles on this one.

And, as far as your "get off" comment, well, with great restraint I'm going to leave that one alone this time.

Edited by Mark80

I'll say for the record that I think he had a rough break. I honestly think that if pure talent was the only issue, he'd probably be at least depth on someone's team.

But his role here would be what Hughes already does: come in on a rotation for nickel and dime packages. The difference being that Sam would do it less well.

sorry, but that's the main point: his lack of pure talent. I watched him disappear during SEC games, and as another poster commented, he succeeded not entirely due to the talent of those around him.

His measurable weren't good. The only he was in consideration to be drafted was because of how well he played in the SEC. The Rams drafted him late and he played OK enough to impress the Cowboys enough to be on their practice squad. He will probably be brought into training camp for a team but will more than likely get cut or best case he gets on a practice squad again. I find it very hard to see him being on a 53 man

Edited by billsfan89

A - I could give two ***** that he's gay, this is about being the SEC defensive player of the year

B - His 40 speed isn't that bad

C - There's no harm in bringing him in, and if he can't cut it, he doesn't make the team.

That's really are there is to my thought on this.

A - I could give two ***** that he's gay, this is about being the SEC defensive player of the year

C - There's no harm in bringing him in, and if he can't cut it, he doesn't make the team.

A) Name another SECDPOY without googling.

B) this could be said about any player

C) this could be said about any player

why is he better than the other guys we can take a flyer on? please give any reason that his skill set is a better opportunity for the bills than the alternatives. people gave you the courtesy of talking about his speed, his inconsistent production, etc.... its your topic, at some point dont you have to provide material beyond "why not?"

or did you not watch much of him, and just like the title SECDPOY

Edited by NoSaint

He could not make the Rams roster, a good defense not far behind ours.

He could not make the Cowboys a team with an inferior defense and a need at his position.

He would have no chance of beating anyone currently on our roster out for a roster spot!

Why waste the time of the position coach, when that time can be spent on a legitimate player?

Sorry to change the subject but is this what you expect from Hughes? I respectfully disagree.

Why bring in someone you know is inferior and won't make the team? A waste of time and money....Scouts, coaches and GMs have watched him and choose not to sign him. Move on