Marrone may opt out?

Wiz

• Replies 263
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does anyone see losing Marone as a real loss. This offense has regressed a lot under his brief tenure. You could actually see it getting worse by the game. The offensive line (his specialty area) was atrocious. Despite getting new receiving weapons and a multitude of free agents and draft picks along the o line, things got worse. Despite the acquisitions of Dixon and Brown, the running game got worse. Is all this on DW- i think not.

As has been discussed for years, this starts from the top down. The Bills have a history of putting no money into their front office and coaches. This is the end result. The sooner Pagula realizes this the better. It will be a long term thing, but you need to start somewhere.

I would not have an issue keeping DW, but Marrone has shown he is outclassed.

At an absolute minimum, Hackett needs to go. I really can't believe he has not been canned yet. I am reasonably convinced most people who post on this board can do a better job.

OK, don't do it Pegula. Low move by Marrone.

What low move? What if the new owner was a douche or Bon Jovi (another level of douche, not in the dictionary)? This tells me he is a smart business man or hired someone smart to run his career.

Does anyone see losing Marone as a real loss. This offense has regressed a lot under his brief tenure. You could actually see it getting worse by the game. The offensive line (his specialty area) was atrocious. Despite getting new receiving weapons and a multitude of free agents and draft picks along the o line, things got worse. Despite the acquisitions of Dixon and Brown, the running game got worse. Is all this on DW- i think not.

As has been discussed for years, this starts from the top down. The Bills have a history of putting no money into their front office and coaches. This is the end result. The sooner Pagula realizes this the better. It will be a long term thing, but you need to start somewhere.

I would not have an issue keeping DW, but Marrone has shown he is outclassed.

At an absolute minimum, Hackett needs to go. I really can't believe he has not been canned yet. I am reasonably convinced most people who post on this board can do a better job.

who are you going to replace him with? What great innovative offensive guy with experience is going to take a job with a team without a QB when there are 4 jobs open that have one?

I hope he stays, but wouldn't be shocked if he left. Remember Cornelius Bennett. Here today, gone tomorrow. Albert Pujols left the Cardinals and a perfect situation.....for money. LeBron left Cleveland for fame and glory. Things happen.

Far different for players than coaches, let alone for elite ones.

There are over 2,000 roster spots in the NFL, so when an elite player leaves, he's leaving because he knows he's got another job available.

There are 32 NFL jobs, and only 5 of them are open at the moment. Marrone would be competing for one of those 5 jobs, and would have the stigma of being a guy that just left his previous employer high and dry.

I hope he stays, but wouldn't be shocked if he left. Remember Cornelius Bennett. Here today, gone tomorrow. Albert Pujols left the Cardinals and a perfect situation.....for money. LeBron left Cleveland for fame and glory. Things happen.

Is this one of those "Which name doesn't belong with the others" problems?

Gotta love unnamed sources on a slow news day

Really. Over-reactions to wild speculation.

Even if he is trying to get a contract extension, or salary boost, why is that a "low move". This clause was built-in to his contract, likely specifically for this situation. Since when do we consider someone exercising a legitimate option a "low move"? I know many don't like unscheduled demands for contract renegotiation, but this one is built right into his deal. Nothing to get worked up about. Seems to me it's being handled very low-key and in-house. That's about the best you can expect.

What low move? What if the new owner was a douche or Bon Jovi (another level of douche, not in the dictionary)? This tells me he is a smart business man or hired someone smart to run his career.

smart business? No. He benched our future so he could get more money. He didn't make the playoffs, and still decides to use his out to get an extension.

It's becoming clear. That's why he played Orton in a meaningless game. I bet his agent is pushing 9 wins hard also.

smart business? No. He benched our future so he could get more money. He didn't make the playoffs, and still decides to use his out to get an extension.

It's becoming clear. That's why he played Orton in a meaningless game. I bet his agent is pushing 9 wins hard also.

Okay ... so how's that not smart? You just described an ingenious chain of events.

Far different for players than coaches, let alone for elite ones.

There are over 2,000 roster spots in the NFL, so when an elite player leaves, he's leaving because he knows he's got another job available.

There are 32 NFL jobs, and only 5 of them are open at the moment. Marrone would be competing for one of those 5 jobs, and would have the stigma of being a guy that just left his previous employer high and dry.

agreed. though i think the last quote that coaches are telling they media they arent sure yet speaks to some sort of chatter behind the scenes, for whatever purposes it would accomplish (keeping his OC, getting a bit more money/security/power, or genuinely seeing if his phone rings despite it being against the rules)

Even if he is trying to get a contract extension, or salary boost, why is that a "low move". This clause was built-in to his contract, likely specifically for this situation. Since when do we consider someone exercising a legitimate option a "low move"? I know many don't like unscheduled demands for contract renegotiation, but this one is built right into his deal. Nothing to get worked up about. Seems to me it's being handled very low-key and in-house. That's about the best you can expect.

ill agree there.... you play the cards you have, and its his job here. he should be pushing for the best situation possible for himself and his family (as long as reasonable).

Edited by NoSaint

benched our future so he could get more money? First of all, if that is "our future" then he sure as heck deserves more money. And don't forget there are 52 other players and all of the staff who want to win games, as well as the fan base. His job is to win games. Why is he being slammed for wanting to win games? I swear some of you would rather go 0-16 but go for it on every 4th down and play a bad QB so the coach is fired because you agree with that philosophy; think the way he achieved his winning record isn't the way you would have done it. Edited by YoloinOhio

who are you going to replace him with? What great innovative offensive guy with experience is going to take a job with a team without a QB when there are 4 jobs open that have one?

I agree that you would have to find someone. Usually, this involves opening the checkbook- something Ralph never did on coaches or front offices. There is no simple fix here. The lack of a front office and coaches is a problem that was years in the making. As opposed to getting a retread or another "marrone" you may have to be patient and wait. If Marrone decides to go they we have no choice but to find the best available now. If the right person isn't there then Marrone stays. For me- I have seen enough of him to realize he is not going to take us to the top of the mountain. Maybe with a new OC, he proves me wrong. I would be fine with being proven wrong!!

I'll wager you can find somebody better than Hackett even under the conditions you cite. For one, we have an owner who doesn't appear to be concerned or afraid to spend money to get what he wants. And Marrone will never fire Hackett no matter how putrid the Bills offense is because of his personal relationship. Its inhibiting his ability to evaluate the performance of his OC and to perform one of the functions of the HC. In business, that's a problem where there are clear performance issues and I think we can all agree the Bills offense has performed poorly for many reasons. One is the lack of an experienced and NFL competent OC...

Edited by All_Pro_Bills

Seriously? Do you HONESTLY believe this? Or are you in some sort of dumb post competition with Kellyto83?

benched our future so he could get more money? First of all, if that is "our future" then he sure as heck deserves more money. And don't forget there are 52 other players and all of the staff who want to win games, as well as the fan base. His job is to win games. Why is he being slammed for wanting to win games? I swear some of you would rather go 0-16 but go for it on every 4th down and play a bad QB so the coach is fired because you agree with that philosophy; think the way he achieved his winning record isn't the way you would have done it.

I agree with this wholeheartedly!

Seriously? Do you HONESTLY believe this? Or are you in some sort of dumb post competition with Kellyto83?

lol :worthy:

I agree with that.

If anything, I would see this as an attempt by Marrone to get a few years added to his contract. I'm sure he's thinking that he's heading into the final year of his contract without an answer at QB, so the chances of the team regressing next year are not insignificant. If I were him, I wouldn't want to have to make a case for an extension after next season, knowing I don't have a serviceable QB on the roster going into the season.