Marrone may opt out?

Wiz

And a year ago you could have said 10 straight losing records.

The Lions got awful close to knocking us down to the second longest division title-less streak as well this year. The Browns have the longest.....of course technically they moved to Baltimore and won a couple SB's in the meantime but streaks ain't nothin but a number. :thumbsup: We need more expansion in the league to make our futility seem less blatant.

• Replies 263
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm still not clear the lead football guys, Whaley as top personnel guy and Marrone as HC, have moved any closer in 2 seasons toward establishing an identity. At yesterday's PC, Marrone talked how they wanted to maintain their defensive success and improve the special teams play. So they picked up more talent to help Crossman and some contributors to solidify the defense. Mission accomplished I guess.

Yet, only after talking defense and ST did Marrone get around to talking about the offense and specified reducing turnovers as a goal. That's wonderful in theory, but if it means (as I suspect it does) they'll try to accomplish this with fewer throws downfield then what era does Marrone think this is?

That was such utter nonsense that Marrone said that. In the off season last year, we spent way more serious resources and attention to offense than ST, we traded up to take Sammy the WR with two number ones, traded for another starting WR, traded for a RB, spent our second round pick on an offensive guy, plus our 5th and 7th, signed a starting OL and signed another short yardage RB, and our starting QB in free agency. All we did was try to upgrade his offense. And he sucked.

That was such utter nonsense that Marrone said that. In the off season last year, we spent way more serious resources and attention to offense than ST, we traded up to take Sammy the WR with two number ones, traded for another starting WR, traded for a RB, spent our second round pick on an offensive guy, plus our 5th and 7th, signed a starting OL and signed another short yardage RB, and our starting QB in free agency. All we did was try to upgrade his offense. And he sucked.

B I N G O

After the Oakland loss Marrone made it a point to say he was disappointed in the OL play, which I think many took as a shot at Whaley for not getting better talent. I have no idea what their talent identification and draft day process was, but to think he is totally outside that sphere is outrageous.

We really don't know what he wants to do on offense because it's changed drastically from 2013 to 2014. First they wanted to be uptempo and this year it was anything but. Frankly, if he's concerned with personnel maybe he shouldn't have let things go late into the season before admitting the OL was not good enough.

Worse, I think he wants more control over personnel as a result of his relationship with Whaley. I'm not sure he's earned that yet.

Here's the thing, BADO, they ARE a young team (relative to the rest of the league). It is fact. You just can't find a way to admit it.

And while the Bills have many, many years of failure. The current front office only has two-three years. You can't put those past failures on them. The name of the company doesn't reflect those currently in charge, especially if you see improvement. Those 15 years have been the combined failures of many different leaders. Go ahead and put the blame on Ralph if that makes you feel better. But how can you hang 15 years of failure on guys who have been here 2-3 years, and an owner who just took over the team months ago. I understand many fans are stupid and can't figure out a way to separate the team from those running the team. But you aren't. Forget the past 15 years. Start the clock at two, three years ago---and then perhaps, reset it for the new owner. Wallowing in the past gets you nowhere.

Knowing the past is just important to not repeating the same mistakes over and over and over. And one of the things about losing is that it leaves very few memories relative to winning. It's easy for fans to forget how they got there.

That's all.

Some of you are just far more accepting of the losing. It's often taken personally, internalized, identified as part of your nature and subsequently ends up getting defended.

No question there is a battered fan syndrome in the Bills community.

Wallowing is not for me though. Regardless of the tone you may think you pick up on the interent, the ONLY Bills failure that I do not laugh at are the losses to the Patriots.

Last second loss to the Cowboys on Sunday night football after all that hype and fireworks....hilarious. Implosion against the Chiefs at home this year. Predictably amusing. Ineptitude can be funny so it's not been an experience without laughs.

Those Patriots losses are getting a little annoying. Sunday was a rare thing....a satisfying win in a meaningless game. I never enter or leave a game without a smile. Not even while waiting 40 minutes at a supergate to get in! It's all entertainment, but since the objective is winning a Super Bowl I feel kinda' obligated to be interested in the pursuit of that goal. Otherwise, its hockey, right?

But wallowing? Never. I'm not sitting here pounding back beers in front of a computer to lament another season lost. :beer:

After the Oakland loss Marrone made it a point to say he was disappointed in the OL play, which I think many took as a shot at Whaley for not getting better talent. I have no idea what their talent identification and draft day process was, but to think he is totally outside that sphere is outrageous.

We really don't know what he wants to do on offense because it's changed drastically from 2013 to 2014. First they wanted to be uptempo and this year it was anything but. Frankly, if he's concerned with personnel maybe he shouldn't have let things go late into the season before admitting the OL was not good enough.

Worse, I think he wants more control over personnel as a result of his relationship with Whaley. I'm not sure he's earned that yet.

He's the one that moved Pears which was a colossal failure. He's the one that played Henderson the entire OTAs and training camp and preseason (his first time in the pros) at LT and then had him start the season at RT with very little preparation. He's the guy that played Richardson who wasn't ready over Urbik. He's the guy that didn't play Hairston, who was the one guy who always seemed to be a gamer. He's the guy in charge where every payer regressed.

Edited by Kelly the Dog

He's the one that moved Pears which was a colossal failure. He's the one that played Henderson the entire OTAs and training camp and preseason (his first time in the pros) at LT and then had him start the season at RT with very little preparation. He's the guy that played Richardson who wasn't ready over Urbik. He's the guy that didn't play Hairston, who was the one guy who always seemed to be a gamer. He's the guy in charge where every payer regressed.

So you're in favor of keeping Pat Morris? ;)

Knowing the past is just important to not repeating the same mistakes over and over and over. And one of the things about losing is that it leaves very few memories relative to winning. It's easy for fans to forget how they got there.

That's all.

Some of you are just far more accepting of the losing. It's often taken personally, internalized, identified as part of your nature and subsequently ends up getting defended.

No question there is a battered fan syndrome in the Bills community.

Wallowing is not for me though. Regardless of the tone you may think you pick up on the interent, the ONLY Bills failure that I do not laugh at are the losses to the Patriots.

Last second loss to the Cowboys on Sunday night football after all that hype and fireworks....hilarious. Implosion against the Chiefs at home this year. Predictably amusing. Ineptitude can be funny so it's not been an experience without laughs.

Those Patriots losses are getting a little annoying. Sunday was a rare thing....a satisfying win in a meaningless game. I never enter or leave a game without a smile. Not even while waiting 40 minutes at a supergate to get in! It's all entertainment, but since the objective is winning a Super Bowl I feel kinda' obligated to be interested in the pursuit of that goal. Otherwise, its hockey, right?

But wallowing? Never. I'm not sitting here pounding back beers in front of a computer to lament another season lost. :beer:

Lotta good stuff there,.. nice job

I don't want to jinx it (knocking on wood as we speak) but I feel better about him leaving today than I did the last two days. Please go Dougie...and take your crack offensive staff with you. It would be a great New Year's gift to Bills fans. Other than maybe world peace and an end to hunger, there's nothing more I want today than this.

@mikerodak: Big RT @caplannfl: As of 10 minutes ago, league source said that #Bills coaches still aren't sure whether Marrone will opt out. Stay tuned

@mikerodak: More —> RT @caplannfl: If Marrone opts out, he goes near the top of available HC coaches. And he has a staff ready to go, which is key.

I don't want to jinx it (knocking on wood as we speak) but I feel better about him leaving today than I did the last two days. Please go Dougie...and take your crack offensive staff with you. It would be a great New Year's gift to Bills fans. Other than maybe world peace and an end to hunger, there's nothing more I want today than this.

If he leaves it might not be the worst thing. The Bills have 3 problems on the offensive side of the ball, QB, offensive line, and offensive coordinator. DM opting out is the only way there's a chance to improve the last. If Marrone opts out Hackett would go with him to his next destination as part of the package. I hope fans of the new team are going to be happy scoring around 17 points per game

My first inclination afterwards would be to promote Schwartz to HC, Pepper Johnson to DC, and bring an NFL competent OC in while dumping most of the offensive coaches and retaining the DC and ST staffs. For the most part, the resurection of the defense has more to do with Pettine and Schwartz than it does with Marrone and lets not say the Bills didn't address the offensive line. They signed C. Williams and spent 3 picks on lineman while retaining most of the other offensive lineman. To me the problem is on the HQ, OC, and o-line coach not the GM.

Edited by All_Pro_Bills

Marrone is leveraging the opt out knowing that there are no guarantees that next year will be better without a starting caliber QB currently on the roster. Makes some sense, but the guy's ego is definitely worrisome.

if I were him I would want to see some kind of plan on a QB from the FO before deciding. There are 4 openings with a QB in place - raiders, bears, sf, falcons.

If he leaves it might not be the worst thing. The Bills have 3 problems on the offensive side of the ball, QB, offensive line, and offensive coordinator. DM opting out is the only way there's a chance to improve the last. If Marrone opts out Hackett would go with him to his next destination as part of the package. I hope fans of the new team are going to be happy scoring around 17 points per game

My first inclination afterwards would be to promote Schwartz to HC, Pepper Johnson to DC, and bring an NFL competent OC in while dumping most of the offensive coaches and retaining the DC and ST staffs. For the most part, the resurection of the defense has more to do with Pettine and Schwartz than it does with Marrone.

schwartz was not a good HC. And he had a franchise QB and arguably the best WR in the league. He got fired and a year later the same team is in the playoffs.

Don't do it Doug

when is the deadline?