Marrone may opt out?

Wiz

• Replies 263
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I suspect Marrone hates Whaley and Brandon. One side has to go. IMO it is Whaley and Brandon. They knew last year the team's biggest needs were QB and OL. They gave Marrone NOTHING to work with in those two areas. I'd be upset too. Then Marrone and Hackett take the blame for an offense that sputters. If Whaley and Brandon stay I would not be surprised if Marrone left on his own terms. I would too because we are never going to win with Whaley and Brandon. Orton's retirement also makes the Bills look like idiots. If they knew he was going to retire they should have started EJ to see if he's learned anything.

Kelly the Dog - His spending money on the Saber's absolutley hasn't translated to winning - though I'm lead to believe from other posters here that the Saber's will begin winning the Cup somewhere around 2017 and not stop until 2050. So call me skeptical, but I just don't see the change in ownership translating into a Super Bowl for the Bills.....

When the Sabres do win the cup you can lead the parade.

I don't follow the Sabres closely anymore, but this was my understanding as well. I find it to be very encouraging.

I agree, the Sabres were smart to tear things down and rebuild. Mediocrity is always the enemy and fools you into staying the course. Who cares about making the playoffs every once in awhile? The goal is to build a team that can be elite for a solid period of time like the Bills were in the 80's.

Schefter is on NFL channel on Sirius, says there would be a great demand for him with all the hc openings. Says it's not a foregone conclusion that he doesn't opt out. It is speculation, but I wish we could be so lucky.

ONLY if he takes Hackett with him. My concern is that with so many HC openings, and Harbaugh no longer a candidate, is that Schwartz leaves. Although, I would assume Todd Haley (Steelers OC) would be a top candidate as well from the former HC to coordinator pool.

I suspect Marrone hates Whaley and Brandon. One side has to go. IMO it is Whaley and Brandon. They knew last year the team's biggest needs were QB and OL. They gave Marrone NOTHING to work with in those two areas. I'd be upset too. Then Marrone and Hackett take the blame for an offense that sputters. If Whaley and Brandon stay I would not be surprised if Marrone left on his own terms. I would too because we are never going to win with Whaley and Brandon. Orton's retirement also makes the Bills look like idiots. If they knew he was going to retire they should have started EJ to see if he's learned anything.

Whaley only drafted our leading tackler (Brown), got Robey, Thigpen, and Orton. Marrone and Hackett's terrible play calling (Spiller up the middle etc.) doomed this team. Whaley IS MUCH better than Marone. Hopefully Marrone (def Hackett are gone.). I agree that the three of them do not seem to like each other.

Edited by RyanC883

Yeah .. building that defense did nothing for them and drafting a WR who had over 900 yards sucked, too. You're right. Whaley gave him nothing. And the first winning record in 10 years proves it!

I am not impressed with Marrone but the organization hasn't done their part to give him what he needs to show if he can be a difference making coach, either.

somebody thought trading up for Sammie was a good idea.

somebody must have convinced somebody that their young QB could get him the ball enough to be a difference maker

somebody must have offered his experienced opinion regarding Kujo's worth as a lineman

the need to absolve Marrone of his role in these things is bewildering.

he was given enough offensive talent score more points that he did. it's simple. he failed. i hope he succeeds in year 3, but i don't think he will unless he realizes that he cannot design and adjust an NFL offense on his own. i really don't think that's going to happen. i think he's going to ride a wave of adoration for delivering a 9-7 record to the poor, pathetic, Buffalo Bills straight to similar record next season - unless the FO drapes him in superior talent. i'm tellin ya - Cutler's on his way. he'll create a huge off-season buzz, sell tons of tickets, and if he doesn't play like a stud QB - the next failed season has another scapegoat.

What do you mean they had him groomed and ready in the wings? He was an outside hire after one year of being Minnesota's defensive coordinator and never was in the Steelers organization?

guess I am confusing him with someone else. That makes me even more upset. I had thought he was brought up from within. Who was the guy I'm thinking of?

Yeah .. building that defense did nothing for them and drafting a WR who had over 900 yards sucked, too. You're right. Whaley gave him nothing. And the first winning record in 10 years proves it!

This was a deep year for WR - I could have fallen into a 900 yard receiver without trading a number one pick. Made a few good calls on D but most was in place before him.

This was a deep year for WR - I could have fallen into a 900 yard receiver without trading a number one pick. Made a few good calls on D but most was in place before him.

Everything you just wrote is incorrect.

Everything you just wrote is incorrect.

How is it incorrect? This wasn't the deepest year at WR? Going into this year we had a strong D and questions at QB and OLine. They said they have a plan. How are we not in the same position as last year and now without a number one pick? What is the plan? The plan was to hope EJ improved, go all in with the big trade to make the playoffs, get Chris Williams to be the big free agent pickup at guard and add Kujo to the OLine. What is the plan for next year?

somebody must have convinced somebody that their young QB could get him the ball enough to be a difference maker

somebody must have offered his experienced opinion regarding Kujo's worth as a lineman

he was given enough offensive talent score more points that he did. it's simple. he failed. i hope he succeeds in year 3, but i don't think he will unless he realizes that he cannot design and adjust an NFL offense on his own. i really don't think that's going to happen. i think he's going to ride a wave of adoration for delivering a 9-7 record to the poor, pathetic, Buffalo Bills straight to similar record next season - unless the FO drapes him in superior talent. i'm tellin ya - Cutler's on his way. he'll create a huge off-season buzz, sell tons of tickets, and if he doesn't play like a stud QB - the next failed season has another scapegoat.

I don't disagree with you. I also don't take much stock in the record. Marrone inherited a team...aside from Fitzpatrick.....that people expected to contend for the playoffs the year before he arrived and was given a free pass for year one due to low expectations generated from years of losing. Not based on the talent accumulated. 9-7 was very possible LAST year. The schedule looked tough at the beginning but things fell into place nicely this year. They were undermined by a limited but still very underachieving offense. No question about it. It should have been better.

Edited by BADOLBEELZ

Guys, Doug Marrone isn't going anywhere. Whats so difficult to understand what he means when he stated "you're stuck with me!" when he was asked about his interest in the Michigan HCing job.

It would take a tactical nuke to pry Marrone away from this job, and likewise with Whaley, and Brandon.

With Russ Brandon announcing he has no meetings planned with ownership means the entire team will remain intact. Deal with it!

Who is clamouring for a coach who is 15-17? I understand that he was somewhat in demand a couple of years ago when he was hired by the Bills but his record with the Bills is still a work in progress.

He took a craptastrophic franchise and turned it into a 9-7 team including 4-2 in a division with 2 decent teams. And all with a second rate qb situation. That's worth something.

Cutler won't come with in a 1000 miles of this team unless Maroone is gone. Maroone said today that he wants to preach abd teach his team to cut down turnovers. How in the world is he gonna do that. Turnovers are a cause of human error most times. Maroone is an absolute jk and he's wasting his time with this. It just shows who really is the problem.

Cutler won't come with in a 1000 miles of this team unless Maroone is gone. Maroone said today that he wants to preach abd teach his team to cut down turnovers. How in the world is he gonna do that. Turnovers are a cause of human error most times. Maroone is an absolute jk and he's wasting his time with this. It just shows who really is the problem.

Cutler's the sexy choice for owners and the president, and he's got the skill to rescue Marrone and Hackett's offense.

if we have Cutler to begin the year, we'll win enough games to make a run at the division crown, the playoffs, and beyond.

he'll fuss and pout and show up both his OC and receivers when sloppy design and execution dooms a play from the start, and then he'll make Antipholus and Dromio heros when he executes their half-assed gameplans better than they could imagine.

hell.. he might even be the anti-Kelly that Marv Levy reportedly (A. Schefter) has nightmares about.

i'm tellin ya.. he's on his way, boys.. he's on his way. ;)

Edited by BackInDaDay

That's the thing.......Marrone got a head coaching job on the strength of being the (non-play calling) OC for Sean Peyton.....a job which he got because of his work as an OL coach....most notably developing a couple nobodies(Brandon Moore and Carl Nicks) into Pro Bowl offensive guards.

It's crazy when you actually think how poorly the team has performed in his expertise.

That certainly gives him a fraudulent look. Anyone who doubts the impression that stinking at your expertise leaves around the league needs look no further than how many HC job offers Brian Billick gets. Zero. And he has a ring for being a HC.

Then you factor in that he inherited extraordinary defensive talent and was able to hire two separate, highly regarded and proven DC's to fill that job.......you have to ask yourself what has he really done for his part?

The not knowing what you really have in Marrone is a byproduct of a very casual approach to building his roster in the first two offseasons.

People assume because the Bills roster is solid and particularly deep on defense that the personnel department has been doing a good job.......but the guys that built this roster have been doing it for 5 YEARS now and doing so with the benefit of a lot of high draft picks.

They had a chance to really give Marrone a huge jump start in the first offseason and they blew it. They let him go thru the season with nothing but rookie QB's. Unconscienable.

Then they mostly sat on their hands in free agency in year 2.

I am not impressed with Marrone but the organization hasn't done their part to give him what he needs to show if he can be a difference making coach, either.

One important flaw in the comparison here: Billick was a bona fide OC in Minnesota from 1994-1998, and in 1998 the Vkings set the league scoring record. In the 5 years he was OC of the Vikes, they finished in the top half of the league in yardage every year, in the top 10 four times, and in the top 5 three times. And it wasn't like he had a steady elite hand at the qb position -- he shuffled through an ancient Warren Moon, a young Brad Johnson, and an ancient (and previously lousy) Randall Cunningham in those five seasons.