Marrone may opt out?

Wiz

• Replies 263
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think that he and Whaley do not get along despite what they say. I think he would jump at any chance on any team to be the HC and have a say in personnel matters more than he does now. If anyone offers him that, he will jump at it. I doubt anyone offers him that.

There is also a decent chance that Whaley tells him Hackett has to go. I was surprised by what Marrone said (more the way he said it) about the assistant coaches. If Whaley or Pegula says Hackett has to go, I bet Marrone opts out and takes him with him.

I don't predict this will happen. But if either of those two things happen, I think he opts out.

SF is a good situation. They're a talented team that will win again. Kaepernick, for all of his flaws, is essentially in the top third of the league.

It'd be a very odd move to go from a program on the verge of turning the corner to one that's fallen over a cliff, as everyone but San Francisco would be.

Can't see it happening...but I could see an agent stirring the media pot to get Daddy Pegs to pull the trigger on a new deal.

It'd be a very odd move to go from a program on the verge of turning the corner to one that's fallen over a cliff, as everyone but San Francisco would be.

Can't see it happening...but I could see an agent stirring the media pot to get Daddy Pegs to pull the trigger on a new deal.

Atlanta has a QB, so by definition they're not far off. They just need some defensive help and they'll be fine.

Some twisted world, Marrone opts out, Cowher comes in as head coach with Whaleynremaining in capacity, Schwartz, too. Cowher helps us build to an new long term coach.

I think the only way Cowher returns to coaching is if he has some secret, burning drive to compete one more time. See if he can do it again and if he still has the magic...simply b/c he is that type of person and an immensely competitive guy.

If there is some weird thing going on with that, he could return. Absent that, there's no way in hell he returns, anywhere.

He has a lot of money already, probably a salary of $1.5 million per year for doing nothing, limited work hours, sensible, predictable travel schedule....and he's a family man. These guys don't give that stuff up quickly.

No need to! Unless he has that itch to see if he can do it one more time. I doubt that personally.

Yep, and there is word that their GM is going to have a little less power. That could be a spot.

Interesting about the GM; thanks.

Anyway, this is all going to shake out very soon. What a strange way to end a long-awaited winning season -- a unexpected retirement of the starting QB, reports of a broken relationship between the coach and the GM (based on comments from people in the organization), the possibility of a retiree taking over and nepotistically hiring his not-very-well-regarded son, and the report of a 3-day opt out clause that the coach won't address at his press conference.

Either he's leaving or a massive power play is going on, with Marrone in league with Polian and using the media.

Edited by dave mcbride

There is also a decent chance that Whaley tells him Hackett has to go. I was surprised by what Marrone said (more the way he said it) about the assistant coaches. If Whaley or Pegula says Hackett has to go, I bet Marrone opts out and takes him with him.

That's the one thing I truly don't like about Marrone: Hackett. The entire offense is under-performing, and Hackett is clearly in over his head. Loyalty is great, and he may be the greatest coach in practice, but he just can't call a game to save his life, and largely the same OL that opened holes for Spiller to the tune of 6.0 ypc in 2012 couldn't block sunlight this year.

This team is a decent OC away from the playoffs. Not even good. Just decent. Someone who knows how to design a blocking scheme that actually blocks up the middle when you try to run up the middle.

We don't know this for a fact, we assume it to be true based on everything TP has stated, but things haven't exactly worked out great for the Sabres either. Granted, I'd suspect we'd have much less trouble getting a good coach now, but would be interesting to see.

I do agree with some of the comments that Atlanta and SF would be good landing spots with a decent QB in place. I suppose thinking about it some more with the alleged friction between him and Whaley, maybe it could be true.

We can only hope that part of the opt out clause requires him to take his OC with him!!

The difference is that now, the Bills job is a lot better to other coaches than it used to be. There will no longer be salary restraints on the HC or especially assistants. There is tremendous more stability. There is no longer any worry that he wouldn't be able to keep players he wanted. The facilities and travel will improve. The cupboard is far from bare, and has one of the best defenses already in place. There is a lot to like about the Buffalo job despite the QB factor.

That's the one thing I truly don't like about Marrone: Hackett. The entire offense is under-performing, and Hackett is clearly in over his head. Loyalty is great, and he may be the greatest coach in practice, but he just can't call a game to save his life, and largely the same OL that opened holes for Spiller to the tune of 6.0 ypc in 2012 couldn't block sunlight this year.

This team is a decent OC away from the playoffs. Not even good. Just decent. Someone who knows how to design a blocking scheme that actually blocks up the middle when you try to run up the middle.

I put that on Marrone, otherwise I agree wholeheartedly. I think Hackett just runs Marrone's offense and is more puppet than puppeteer.

What is Chan Gailey doing these days? I always thought he was particularly good at designing clever offensive plays. The guy had a knack for it, even if he is not really head coach material.

He's 62 now.

Interesting about the GM; thanks.

Anyway, this is all going to shake out very soon. What a strange way to end a long-awaited winning season -- a unexpected retirement of the starting QB, reports of a broken relationship between the coach and the GM (based on comments from people in the organization), the possibility of a retiree taking over and nepotistically hiring his not-very-well-regarded son, and the report of a 3-day opt out clause that the coach won't address at his press conference.

Either he's leaving or a massive power play is going on, with Marrone in league with Polian and using the media.

One thing I forgot to mention about the weirdness - Polian saying that a coach with an 8-6 record deserves votes for coach of the year two weeks prior to "denying" rumors he may well be headed to the same organization as that coach.

What is Chan Gailey doing these days? I always thought he was particularly good at designing clever offensive plays. The guy had a knack for it, even if he is not really head coach material.

He's 62 now.

Pete Carrol is 63

Arians 62

Tomlin 42

Dick LeBeau 77

John Fox 69