Marrone may opt out?

Wiz

I think Reich is a great Bill and great guy and great human being and terrible idea. He's not even in charge of that offense. He's never been in charge of an offense, let alone a team. That would be crazy for him to get the job. Schwartz would blow a gasket, IMO.

Reich isn't ready.

• Replies 263
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with that.

If anything, I would see this as an attempt by Marrone to get a few years added to his contract. I'm sure he's thinking that he's heading into the final year of his contract without an answer at QB, so the chances of the team regressing next year are not insignificant. If I were him, I wouldn't want to have to make a case for an extension after next season, knowing I don't have a serviceable QB on the roster going into the season.

Terrific. Marrone wants Hackett to get the extension.

https://twitter.com/...310819171688448

Actually, I'm not a Marrone fan, but this is a good and smart move for him, depending on who he wants the extension for. If it's Henderon and Pagac and Pepper I am all for it. If it's just his offensive staff he is criminal.

I'm not sure this means he is looking for an extension for Hackett, but I get your worry that it might be.

I actually think there is a real opportunity here for a deal that helps the team, and gives Marrone a little something. Perhaps extend his contract one year, maybe with a small raise (hey if he ends up getting fired, Pegula can eat the contract--it ain't my money :lol: ). BUT he agrees to dismiss the OC and OL coach. Give extensions to the defensive assistants he wants to lock up. Team gets something, he gets something and the team is assured of some stability (on the defensive side) and some change (on the offensive side)..Everybody wins.

Other than nostalgia, do you believe his coaching experience merits an HC job? Hacket does have more than him in the pros.

As coach:

Hackett has 2 years of coaching experience of any kind in the NFL. You just listed 7 years of coaching jobs for Reich..

Can't wait for 12:01 when Marrone is still here and this thread can end. The people calling for this guy to leave are letting emotion get in the way of ration. You don't like the guy because he made you feel sad a few days this year? Because he didn't call the game the way you, armchair HC, think it should be called? Because he hasn't fired the OC that you, in your professional experience, deem football illiterate. How has firing guys left and right worked during this playoff drought? I'm just unsure what exactly everyone expects from a guy without a franchise QB in a conference where the current playoff QBs are Brady, Manning, Luck, Roethlisberger, Flacco, and Dalton.... Just chew on this for a minute.... that's Four QBs with 76 playoff games and 7 Super Bowl titles between them. The other two have lead their teams to the playoffs 5 times.

Marrone's had a raw, poor decision-making EJ Manuel and a seasoned poor decision-making and immobile behind a putrid OL Kyle Orton. I'd say 9-7 with these QBs is closer to a miracle than grounds for firing.

Just when we have a GM who has put talent on this roster and a coach who has done his best to improve the on field product. Save the argument about miss unless you're going to show me how all the other GMs draft 7 guys a year who are immediate starters. In my mind, it's a nice change to see a GM willing to not be in love with his guys and pour over other teams practice squad players and make trades. The old guy conservative trend didn't work either. Since he got her in February 2010 (let's assume he had some input in the 2010 draft), they've drafted these players who have made major contributions and/or are starters: Spiller, Moats, Easley, Dareus, A. Williams, Sheppard (who became Hughes), Searcy, Hairston, Gilmore, Glenn, Bradham, Brooks, Woods, Alonso, Watkins, Brown, Henderson. Those are solid contributions from drafts. Some misses in there, I acknowledge that (EJ for example but I'm not one to write off a QB after less than a season's worth of starts although I have serious doubts). But if you can draft basically 3 top quality players in the draft every year, I think we'd take it. Throw in some of the backups they've drafted and FA they've added and it's very good management.

My point is, you can look at the facts, see the track record of other coaches and GMs on the context of their ability to get and coach talent, or you can be emotion and ignore it.

Can't wait for 12:01 when Marrone is still here and this thread can end. The people calling for this guy to leave are letting emotion get in the way of ration. You don't like the guy because he made you feel sad a few days this year? Because he didn't call the game the way you, armchair HC, think it should be called? Because he hasn't fired the OC that you, in your professional experience, deem football illiterate. How has firing guys left and right worked during this playoff drought? I'm just unsure what exactly everyone expects from a guy without a franchise QB in a conference where the current playoff QBs are Brady, Manning, Luck, Roethlisberger, Flacco, and Dalton.... Just chew on this for a minute.... that's Four QBs with 76 playoff games and 7 Super Bowl titles between them. The other two have lead their teams to the playoffs 5 times.

Marrone's had a raw, poor decision-making EJ Manuel and a seasoned poor decision-making and immobile behind a putrid OL Kyle Orton. I'd say 9-7 with these QBs is closer to a miracle than grounds for firing.

Just when we have a GM who has put talent on this roster and a coach who has done his best to improve the on field product. Save the argument about miss unless you're going to show me how all the other GMs draft 7 guys a year who are immediate starters. In my mind, it's a nice change to see a GM willing to not be in love with his guys and pour over other teams practice squad players and make trades. The old guy conservative trend didn't work either. Since he got her in February 2010 (let's assume he had some input in the 2010 draft), they've drafted these players who have made major contributions and/or are starters: Spiller, Moats, Easley, Dareus, A. Williams, Sheppard (who became Hughes), Searcy, Hairston, Gilmore, Glenn, Bradham, Brooks, Woods, Alonso, Watkins, Brown, Henderson. Those are solid contributions from drafts. Some misses in there, I acknowledge that (EJ for example but I'm not one to write off a QB after less than a season's worth of starts although I have serious doubts). But if you can draft basically 3 top quality players in the draft every year, I think we'd take it. Throw in some of the backups they've drafted and FA they've added and it's very good management.

My point is, you can look at the facts, see the track record of other coaches and GMs on the context of their ability to get and coach talent, or you can be emotion and ignore it.

Great post, zona.

I think Marrone is staying. I think he's a pretty good coach. I think he has some downside, too, and I think that our 9-7 record was as much in spite of him as because of him.

He deserves another year.

But...

I wouldn't at all mind if I heard that he opted out, because 1] It means the Pegulas didnt back down to his demands, 2] It means if there was a power struggle Whaley won and Marrone lost and if I HAD to choose between them, I want Whaley every time, 3] It could very well have meant that management ordered him to make changes on offense and he refused.

I think Marrone is staying. I think he's a pretty good coach. I think he has some downside, too, and I think that our 9-7 record was as much in spite of him as because of him.

But...

I wouldn't at all mind if I heard that he opted out, because 1] It means the Pegulas didnt back down to his demands, 2] It means if there was a power struggle Whaley won and Marrone lost and if I HAD to choose between them, I want Whaley every time, 3] It could very well have meant that management ordered him to make changes on offense and he refused.

What demands?

What demands?

Whatever they were that caused him to walk away... an extension, an extension for his offensive guys, more power over the roster, whatever it was that would have made them say no that he didn't like.

There have been rumors to all three of those things, an extension, an extension for his assistants, more power over roster...

But...

Again, I don't put too much stock in the Marrone/Whaley feud or power struggle. But I agree, if I had to choose between the two, I'd take Whaley all day long. I hope the possibility of Polian joining the Bills in some capacity doesn't tip the scales the other way.

And if Marrone simply refused to make some changes, then I agree it has to be buh-bye to him. That's why I proposed a deal where he gets a small extension and/or raise, but agrees to make the necessary coaching changes. With that said, I've never been a big fan of HCs who fire their coordinators to keep their jobs, but sometimes the situation warrants it. Marrone and Hackett got jobs they have never held in the NFL. You have to be willing to admit one or two of your choices didn't work out. So in this case, I wouldn't view Marrone dismissing Hackett as selling out his OC.

Give Reich a year or two and he will be coach ready. Just my two cents worth.

He's OC-ready.

But like many coordinators that doesn't translate to HC-ready. I'm not saying Frank won't be a good HC one day, I just don't know. He was a terrific #2 QB/spot starter. But he wasn't a quality #1 QB. Same thing might be true with coaching.

Edited by The Dean

He's OC-ready.

But like many coordinators that doesn't translate to HC-ready. I'm not saying Frank won't be a good HC one day, I just don't know. He was a terrific #2 QB/spot starter. But he wasn't a quality #1 QB. Same thing might be true with coaching.

I don't even think he's been a coordinator before. He's got the title but it's Mike McCoy's offense.

Whatever they were that caused him to walk away... an extension, an extension for his offensive guys, more power over the roster, whatever it was that would have made them say no that he didn't like.

There have been rumors to all three of those things, an extension, an extension for his assistants, more power over roster...

Ah, I just didn't know if the specifics came out.

He demanded that if he went to another team you would follow him to their message board and relentlessly defend his buffoonery.

Does Starpoint even have a message board?