How about Marc Trestman as OC?

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

He, like so many others, did not make it as a head coach, but was an excellent offensive coordinator. He had dramatic success as an OC in San Fran, Oakland, Detroit, Arizona, often creating some of the best offenses in the league seemingly out of nothing.

Just as significant: he helped to turn average quarterbacks into pro bowlers: Gannon, Mitchell, Plummer

He seems to be just what the Bills need now-- very fresh perspective on offense and someone capable of developing a young quarterback properly, whoever that QB is next year.

I'm all for it. Sign him up!

Maybe it's because he is the best of a very poor free agent QB class?...LOL

You got a name? Please share.

I'd just rather take a shot on someone who hasn't started 70 games and looked pretty bad in most of them. To me, you know what you are getting out of Sanchez and it isn't pretty. I'd rather get more of an unknown that could surprise if given a shot.

The first question that needs to be answered before bringing in any OC is who is responsible for the Offense? You could be the greatest offensive mind ever, but if Marrone makes all the crucial decisions - who the line starters are, which position they play, which receivers are dressed, which QB starts, what the game plan is, etc. - then you are hamstrung.

I'd just rather take a shot on someone who hasn't started 70 games and looked pretty bad in most of them. To me, you know what you are getting out of Sanchez and it isn't pretty. I'd rather get more of an unknown that could surprise if given a shot.

Agreed. Sanchez is just younger, more Latino version of Kyle Orton...

He, like so many others, did not make it as a head coach, but was an excellent offensive coordinator. He had dramatic success as an OC in San Fran, Oakland, Detroit, Arizona, often creating some of the best offenses in the league seemingly out of nothing.

Just as significant: he helped to turn average quarterbacks into pro bowlers: Gannon, Mitchell, Plummer

He seems to be just what the Bills need now-- very fresh perspective on offense and someone capable of developing a young quarterback properly, whoever that QB is next year.

He'd be great, but it won't happen unless Marrone is fired. Marrone is old school loyalty. He'll go down with the ship he brought in.

Before people post "he's garbage" look up his career first. I only copied the NFL positions as it would have been too long (I don't know why this is blackened as I made sure it was off bold so sorry guys). Look at his success in Cleveland, San Francisco, Arizona, Oakland, and Detroit. He has a track record of success going back to the 80's. As an aside, I always look up people's past before I comment on it if I don't know it very well.

In my opinion, he would be an excellent upgrade over Hackett, and this team would have two very experienced coordinators, and make it much easier for Marrone to lead his team. i believe the players respect and play hard for Marrone. I may not agree with all of his decisions, but by dumping our inexperienced OC, or just demoting Hackett as he is still so young and let him work his way up the ladder like it's supposed to happen. This happened in Tampa as well with Raheem Morris being promoted far before his time, and he paid the price. Hackett could still take a position coach's position, and show success there.

So bottom line is I'm all in as i've been stating for a long time, i want a very experienced well documented OC who can handle the job. Trestman would be perfect.

NFL[edit]

Trestman moved to the National Football League and coached running backs with the Minnesota Vikings in 1985 and 1986. He served as quarterbacks coach first with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers in 1987 and then the Cleveland Browns in 1988. InCleveland he again coached Kosar and the team finished 10–6 and made the playoffs. His promotion to offensive coordinatorin 1989 was made before the team named Bud Carson as Marty Schottenheimer's successor as head coach.[6] Kosar passed for 3,533 yards and 18 TDs that season, while wide receiver Webster Slaughter had a franchise record 1,236 receiving yards. Trestman was dismissed after the Browns' third loss in the AFC Championship game in four years, primarily due to his strained relationship with Carson.[6]

In 1990, Trestman returned to Minnesota as quarterbacks coach for the Vikings. He spent two years there and then left coaching for three years, and worked in the municipal bond sale during that timespan.[5]

He returned to the NFL in 1995 as quarterbacks coach and offensive coordinator with San Francisco, where he served in that capacity through 1996. The first year he was in San Francisco, the team led the NFL with 457 points scored, 644 pass attempts and 4,779 passing yards.

Trestman joined the Detroit Lions as quarterbacks coach in 1997. That year Lions quarterback Scott Mitchell passed for 3,484 yards, fourth most in team history.

In 1998 he was with the Arizona Cardinals as quarterbacks coach and offensive coordinator. That year quarterback Jake Plummer threw for 3,737 yards, and the Cardinals made the playoffs for the first time since 1982 and won their first post season game in 51 years.

He next went to the Oakland Raiders in 2001 as the quarterbacks coach. In 2002 he was promoted to offensive coordinator and the Raiders led the NFL in total offense with 389.8 yards per game and passing yards with 279.7 per game. Under Trestman's guidance, Raiders QB Rich Gannon won the 2002 NFL MVP award as the Raiders reachedSuper Bowl XXXVII, losing to the Tampa Bay Buccaneers.

Trestman spent the 2004 season with the Miami Dolphins before returning to the college ranks (see above).

In 2007, Trestman spent time with the New Orleans Saints as a consultant for Head Coach Sean Payton.[7]

no. he called plays for the Bears this year and they had no ryhme or reason.

Before people post "he's garbage" look up his career first. I only copied the NFL positions as it would have been too long (I don't know why this is blackened as I made sure it was off bold so sorry guys). Look at his success in Cleveland, San Francisco, Arizona, Oakland, and Detroit. He has a track record of success going back to the 80's. As an aside, I always look up people's past before I comment on it if I don't know it very well.

In my opinion, he would be an excellent upgrade over Hackett, and this team would have two very experienced coordinators, and make it much easier for Marrone to lead his team. i believe the players respect and play hard for Marrone. I may not agree with all of his decisions, but by dumping our inexperienced OC, or just demoting Hackett as he is still so young and let him work his way up the ladder like it's supposed to happen. This happened in Tampa as well with Raheem Morris being promoted far before his time, and he paid the price. Hackett could still take a position coach's position, and show success there.

So bottom line is I'm all in as i've been stating for a long time, i want a very experienced well documented OC who can handle the job. Trestman would be perfect.

NFL[edit]

Trestman moved to the National Football League and coached running backs with the Minnesota Vikings in 1985 and 1986. He served as quarterbacks coach first with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers in 1987 and then the Cleveland Browns in 1988. InCleveland he again coached Kosar and the team finished 10–6 and made the playoffs. His promotion to offensive coordinatorin 1989 was made before the team named Bud Carson as Marty Schottenheimer's successor as head coach.[6] Kosar passed for 3,533 yards and 18 TDs that season, while wide receiver Webster Slaughter had a franchise record 1,236 receiving yards. Trestman was dismissed after the Browns' third loss in the AFC Championship game in four years, primarily due to his strained relationship with Carson.[6]

In 1990, Trestman returned to Minnesota as quarterbacks coach for the Vikings. He spent two years there and then left coaching for three years, and worked in the municipal bond sale during that timespan.[5]

He returned to the NFL in 1995 as quarterbacks coach and offensive coordinator with San Francisco, where he served in that capacity through 1996. The first year he was in San Francisco, the team led the NFL with 457 points scored, 644 pass attempts and 4,779 passing yards.

Trestman joined the Detroit Lions as quarterbacks coach in 1997. That year Lions quarterback Scott Mitchell passed for 3,484 yards, fourth most in team history.

In 1998 he was with the Arizona Cardinals as quarterbacks coach and offensive coordinator. That year quarterback Jake Plummer threw for 3,737 yards, and the Cardinals made the playoffs for the first time since 1982 and won their first post season game in 51 years.

He next went to the Oakland Raiders in 2001 as the quarterbacks coach. In 2002 he was promoted to offensive coordinator and the Raiders led the NFL in total offense with 389.8 yards per game and passing yards with 279.7 per game. Under Trestman's guidance, Raiders QB Rich Gannon won the 2002 NFL MVP award as the Raiders reachedSuper Bowl XXXVII, losing to the Tampa Bay Buccaneers.

Trestman spent the 2004 season with the Miami Dolphins before returning to the college ranks (see above).

In 2007, Trestman spent time with the New Orleans Saints as a consultant for Head Coach Sean Payton.[7]

Great resume.

Cutler is a coach-killer.

I'd love to have Trestman replace Hackett (or complement him). I don't want Cutler.

Trestman? Seriously???? He took one of the most loaded offenses in the NFL this year, one that I remind you should have been top-5 in the NFL, and made them a below average offense. What the hell is this OP smoking? Trestman is garbage, and Bears fans here were more than happy to see him go.

sounds like an argument some made against bringing in Schwartz as DC. Trestman was HC in Chicago, not OC. Two vastly different jobs. He has had great success as an OC, and if the Bills are smart they will hire him immediately. Good luck selling tickets if can't Hackett is back.

Trestman and Sanchez? Desperation talk has already started and is in full swing I see.

A great offensive mind, and a QB who went to two AFC Championship games and can beat the Pats (with less talent than the current Bills roster). Not sure how this qualifies as desperation.