Report: No Football ops changes expected with Bills

YoloinOhio

IF THIS IS TRUE... :wallbash:

I said all along there was no reason to think they'd come in and start swinging the axe...anyone who thinks otherwise must pay no attention to the Sabres.

I don't see how you can say that if you pay attention to the Sabres. He did both of the extremes at two different times. Keeping status quo blew up in his face. House cleaning seems to have worked. I don't see how you or anyone automatically assumes he will keep status quo because that's what he did on the Sabres. It backfired horribly.

To me, his actions on the Sabres tell us nothing, and probably have nothing to do with how he deals with the Bills. He will probably just evaluate and then go with his gut.

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is absurd. Pegula's credibility is at stake here. He absolutely must do something to build on the excitement his purchAse created.

Give it time. Just because he doesn't clean house on Monday doesn't mean he won't clean house.

Dan Snyder would fire first aim later. Pegula, I hope, is more deliberate. He's owned the team for 8 weeks. I expect changes but they may not happen in a single off season. You don't just wipe out an entire billion dollar company's management team on Day 1.

Edited by John Adams

He does work for ESPN. Have you ever tried to listen to him on Sundays as an NFL radio color commentator. He has to be one of the all time worst! I simply cannot listen to him. He makes Shannon Sharpe appear to wax eloquent.

Edited by Mr. T

Polian works for Espn. No denials on espn website

It was done through his good friend Vic Carucci at the Buff News. Of course ESPN doesn't give a **** about a report from Florio. They don't address rumors with their employees. Not even when their baseball tonight guys were taking advantage of women.

This is absurd. Pegula's credibility is at stake here. He absolutely must do something to build on the excitement his purchAse created.

What's absurd? Even an average QB gets this team to 10 or 11 wins and the playoffs.

I don't see how you can say that if you pay attention to the Sabres. He did both of the extremes at two different times. Keeping status quo blew up in his face. House cleaning seems to have worked. I don't see how you or anyone automatically assumes he will keep status quo because that's what he did on the Sabres. It backfired horribly.

To me, his actions on the Sabres tell us nothing, and probably have nothing to do with how he deals with the Bills. He will probably just evaluate and then go with his gut.

He "will" evaluate? What's been going on for the last two months?

I'll say it again. These are wonderful people, but they are naive. They didn't do anything about Darcy until they were a laughingstock. Is it that hard to imagine them being schmoozed by Russ into giving everyone another year? Not for me.

He "will" evaluate? What's been going on for the last two months?

Trying to not distract the management from potentially making the playoffs for the first time in 15 years. I'm sure he was evaluating from afar but the worst thing he could have done for the last 2 months is have a consultant and himself sniffing into everyone's business.

Now that the season's over, he can drag them into a room and evaluate them.

Winter is coming.

If there are no changes to the coaching staff... It's time to tune out, because there is absolutely no reason to believe that the status quo will suddenly figure out how to put together an NFL caliber offense.

Other than the best record since 2004, and the best D in the league there's nothing.

Edited by PromoTheRobot

One of the things Whaley said specifically was "sometimes when you are the boss in any business you have to be a dick." He was talking about Orton, and then EJ and his leadership, and how EJ is a nice guy and wants to please everyone. So I doubt that would be the case.

That's good to know. I hope he can and wil do it.

I also know buddy is still with the team as an advisor, and I have got to think buddy has gotta be telling Whaley that if he doesn't force a change on offense, Whaley may be out of a job in a year.

Not hiring a consultant to this point may mean no changes in the offseason. There is competition for coaches and GMs as soon as the season is over. I doubt the Bills would want to be in a position of finding a new GM and coach months after the season ends, after the best available candidates have been hired and coaching staffs put together.

Very depressing if this is the case.

I never expected the Pegulas to come in and clean house in their first year of ownership they bought a team that they have supported and followed as fans, there is no denying this is the best this organization has looked in several years. I can't remember where I seen it but somewhere I read that Marrone was unhappy with the offensive lineman he had going into the season, but Whaley was and thought he had provided him with enough. It's no secret that the center of the Oline play severely hampered the offense this year, I have little doubt that Whaley will have fixed the guard situation in 2015. I would be surprised if he doesn't bring in an established Oline coach in the near future it's pretty obvious established offensive lineman here Wood and Glenns play has slipped under the current coaching staff. We can only hope they have learned you can't play tackles at the guard position.

Edited by Martifal

15 meaningful football games for the first time in 10 years, a non losing season for the first time in 10 years. This is a talented roster with good coaches- let them build something. A bad team would hit reset about now....like we USED to do

or maybe he thinks they are close and doesn't want to blow the whole thing up again. If he thinks just a few pieces are needed, then minor - not major - changes are the way to go IMO. That's where the consultant comes in. If you get rid of something as big as a HC or GM you are also changing systems, philosophies, personnel needs, again! This is hard on players and scouts if things chance every 2 years.

I agree with this let them in place finish the third year. After all if you hired new people and it flopped then ya look pretty stupid.

or maybe he thinks they are close and doesn't want to blow the whole thing up again. If he thinks just a few pieces are needed, then minor - not major - changes are the way to go IMO. That's where the consultant comes in. If you get rid of something as big as a HC or GM you are also changing systems, philosophies, personnel needs, again! This is hard on players and scouts if things chance every 2 years.

What would be meaningful minor changes?

What would be meaningful minor changes?

ask the consultant! I would cut Orton, sign a better vet QB, sign better guards, sign a weapon TE, draft a more durable version of Goodwin (Devin Smith please) and replace the OL coach. Edited by YoloinOhio

ask the consultant! I would cut Orton, sign a better vet QB, sign better guards, sign a weapon TE, draft a more durable version of Goodwin (Devin Smith please) and replace the OL coach.

Other than O-line coach, none of those are staff changes. All the pl;ayer changes you mentioned have already been suggested by nearly everyone at TSW, so not sure why anyone would need to ask (or pay for) a consultant to come up with these changes.

His credibility with who? With you?

I don't think the players will lose faith in the Pegulas if they give Whaley and Marrone more than 2 years to turn the team around. I don't think fellow owners will blink an eye. A few fans might be pissed - but not pissed enough to damage revenues.

No one remembers what Ralph did back in 1960. No mistakes he made back then permanently ruined his credibility.

Terry has built up a solid reputation in business over the course of decades. He saved the Bills, keeping them in Buffalo. He's got tons of credibility and retaining a coach another year won't change that.

And, personally, I'm not convinced that Whaley and Marrone don't deserve another year. Though if I was Terry, I'd ask them both some hard questions about their plans for 2015, especially on the offensive side of the ball.

Edited by hondo in seattle