Report: No Football ops changes expected with Bills

YoloinOhio

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Polian is denying that he will take the Bills job monday, the next week or the next several weeks. That's probably for two reasons, one is that he probably has to work for ESPN through the playoffs, and the Bills job would not be full time for several years (so he wouldn't quit ESPN and leave them hanging). And more important, it could screw up the Hall of Fame vote on January 31st. Then he could probably take the job.

The problem with that is, of course, this is the month that is most important. While other teams are in the playoffs, and if we want any of their coaches or personnel guys, we could get them anyway until they are out. As well as free agency and the draft come up quickly. If he is not willing to work for a month, we're probably better off with Arcossi or Wolf if we could get them. Unless the idea is to keep status quo for this year, and have Polian evaluate over several months while these guys are on the job.

Edited by Kelly the Dog

This is absurd. Pegula's credibility is at stake here. He absolutely must do something to build on the excitement his purchAse created.

No offense, but this is one of the dumbest thing I read on this board. I repeat, no offense.

Pegula just got the team and has 1.4 billion points in credibility as we speak.

By the way, this is speculation, but is anyone concerned that Whaley (and maybe even pegula) don't have the chutzpah to stand up to marrone and force him to fire an assistant?

This is just based on seeing these guys' pressers, but I think Whaley might be too much of a nice guy.

Not a concern at all.

Polian is denying that he will take the Bills job monday, the next week or the next several weeks. That's probably for two reasons, one is that he probably has to work for ESPN through the playoffs, and the Bills job would not be full time for several years (so he wouldn't quit ESPN and leave them hanging). And more important, it could screw up the Hall of Fame vote on January 31st. Then he could probably take the job.

The problem with that is, of course, this is the month that is most important. While other teams are in the playoffs, and if we want any of their coaches or personnel guys, we could get them anyway until they are out. As well as free agency and the draft come up quickly. If he is not willing to work for a month, we're probably better off with Arcossi or Wolf if we could get them. Unless the idea is to keep status quo for this year, and have Polian evaluate over several months while these guys are on the job.

my guess would be what you said in your last sentence.

He wouldn't work for ESPN and the Bills at the same time...

He wouldn't work for ESPN and the Bills at the same time...

I know, which is why he wouldn't come to the Bills until the SB was over. He could if it were, say, a GM job because it would be a lot of money over several years. As a consultant, he would be stupid to quit his ESPN job to come to the Bills as a consultant. That is why he is denying he is coming to the Bills for several weeks.

I have no problem with Marrone staying as HC, as long as the OC and O line coach are replaced with people that know what they are doing. No more college puke assistants, as the team needs an NFL experienced play caller / game planner counter part equal to the level of Jim Schwartz.

GM Doug Whaley needs someone above him other then Russ Brandon, someone who will direct him to rid the team of scrubs on the O line, Pears, Urbik, Williams, and fill those positions with quality talent. If they don't 2015 will just be another wasted season. The entire offensive side of the scouting process needs to be revamped from what we have seen over the last few years.

Russ Brandon needs to move to sole possession of the business side of the team so the Pegula's can hire a real NFL team president of football operations that actually has a history of being successful on the football side.

A few changes to this team and they easily could be contending with the Patriots for the division, and if not then we can all expect more wasted seasons. They could have been contending two years ago if the proper changes had taken place.

http://forums.twobillsdrive.com/topic/174542-report-no-football-ops-changes-expected-with-bills/page__st__20

"Some in league circles firmly believe that, as soon as Monday, former Bills G.M. Bill Polian could be returning to the team."

Bills fans dream of this!

It's going to be a very long offseason if there absolutely no changes.

If there are no changes to the coaching staff... It's time to tune out, because there is absolutely no reason to believe that the status quo will suddenly figure out how to put together an NFL caliber offense.

If there are no changes to the coaching staff... It's time to tune out, because there is absolutely no reason to believe that the status quo will suddenly figure out how to put together an NFL caliber offense.

I'm sure folks were saying the same things about Special Teams last season when Danny Crossman wasn't fired.

I'm sure Russ has been puffing his chest and bragging about a potential 8-8 season. If Marrone and Whaley get fired then the heat goes back to him for hiring these guys.

Edited by Bangarang

I'm sure folks were saying the same things about Special Teams last season when Danny Crossman wasn't fired.

This is totally different as about 90% of Bills fans realize there is a huge problem on the offensive side of the football operations. From the FO, scouting, GM, to the coaching. Just player changes won't fully change the ineptitude that has prevailed over this Org over the offensive side of things for two years now.

It might be years before Nathaniel Hackett becomes a proficient play caller, game planner... if ever! How many more years do fans need to wait until the team properly replaces a half way decent OG in Andy Levitre, or builds a competent offensive line. How many more losing seasons do Bills fans need to endure with these losers on the offensive side?

Danny Crossman did so much better this season because the HC assigned an extra kicker to help kick balls out of the endzone. and yet the HC had extra players that could have helped the offense inactive in order to bolster kick coverage's. This despite the team being 32nd to now 31st in the red zone scoring TD's. And speaking of special teams WTF happened for the Denver game? The bills had only two drive starts past the 20 all game, once on the Bills 40, and once on the Bills 26. One could easily say that the dominate defense greatly helped the special teams all this year.

@ByTimGraham: Bills source informs me no football ops changes are imminent, but meetings will be held next week. Expect status quo, but no guarantees.

Greg Gabriel

@greggabe: PFT has been saying Polian to Bills. I've been told they are staying "as is". No changes

IF THIS IS TRUE... :wallbash:

I said all along there was no reason to think they'd come in and start swinging the axe...anyone who thinks otherwise must pay no attention to the Sabres.

The way Russ has been strutting around opining about play calling and culture? You figured he knew something we didn't. If he was wondering whether he had a job he'd have kept his mouth shut. Yet,. he was popping off like the Pegulas were already in his back pocket- which is very easy to believe.

I just hope it's bad info. Problem ism, Graham usually gets it right :(

Edited by jester43