Report: No Football ops changes expected with Bills

YoloinOhio

@ByTimGraham: Bills source informs me no football ops changes are imminent, but meetings will be held next week. Expect status quo, but no guarantees.

Greg Gabriel

@greggabe: PFT has been saying Polian to Bills. I've been told they are staying "as is". No changes

Edited by YoloinOhio

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hackett needs to go.

I would not be opposed if they fire him, but we need to improve OL and bring at least two new QBs, we can't sit on our asses and be happy with Orton, EJ and Tuel, if you have to draft one, so be it. I hope Pegula stresses the importance of always being active while looking for QBs when you don't have a reliable one.

This is absurd. Pegula's credibility is at stake here. He absolutely must do something to build on the excitement his purchAse created.

or maybe he thinks they are close and doesn't want to blow the whole thing up again. If he thinks just a few pieces are needed, then minor - not major - changes are the way to go IMO. That's where the consultant comes in. If you get rid of something as big as a HC or GM you are also changing systems, philosophies, personnel needs, again! This is hard on players and scouts if things chance every 2 years.

or maybe he thinks they are close and doesn't want to blow the whole thing up again. If he thinks just a few pieces are needed, then minor - not major - changes are the way to go IMO. That's where the consultant comes in. If you get rid of something as big as a HC or GM you are also changing systems, philosophies, personnel needs, again! This is hard on players and scouts if things chance every 2 years.

Imagine just a B+ OLine. Things would be very different.

And, you know, maybe a QB...

Hackett needs to go.

I don't interpret "no changes to football ops" to include assistant coaching staff changes.

If I am Whaley and pegula, I want to hear Marrone make his case for why Hackett needs to stay. And marrone can't expect to have 5 pro bowl linemen and a franchise QB to put together a competent offense.

This is absurd. Pegula's credibility is at stake here. He absolutely must do something to build on the excitement his purchAse created.

No it's not. I don't see how his credibility is at stake at all. Saving the Sabres and the Bills from moving , the HarborCenter and other projects are far greater than giving a coaching staff one more year, even if the Bills suck next year. Don't you think? His legacy has already been cemented in Buffalo.

By the way, this is speculation, but is anyone concerned that Whaley (and maybe even pegula) don't have the chutzpah to stand up to marrone and force him to fire an assistant?

This is just based on seeing these guys' pressers, but I think Whaley might be too much of a nice guy.

One of the things Whaley said specifically was "sometimes when you are the boss in any business you have to be a dick." He was talking about Orton, and then EJ and his leadership, and how EJ is a nice guy and wants to please everyone. So I doubt that would be the case.

No it's not. I don't see how his credibility is at stake at all. Saving the Sabres and the Bills from moving , the HarborCenter and other projects are far greater than giving a coaching staff one more year, even if the Bills suck next year. Don't you think? His legacy has already been cemented in Buffalo.

Regarding Pegula, you couldn't have stated it any better.

I would not be opposed if they fire him, but we need to improve OL and bring at least two new QBs, we can't sit on our asses and be happy with Orton, EJ and Tuel, if you have to draft one, so be it. I hope Pegula stresses the importance of always being active while looking for QBs when you don't have a reliable one.

Absolutely. I am indifferent to him staying or going. Whether he stays or goes, there must me an interest to upgrade (like you stated) the offensive line and QB. I don't think Hackett is essential that bad a coach as a lot of the misfires hinged on both quarterback and O-Line play but we could and should do significantly better than him.

I don't interpret "no changes to football ops" to include assistant coaching staff changes.

If I am Whaley and pegula, I want to hear Marrone make his case for why Hackett needs to stay. And marrone can't expect to have 5 pro bowl linemen and a franchise QB to put together a competent offense.

That's what it seems some people expect as unrealistic as it is.

The guy hasn't owned the team for a year and his credibility is at stake? Please. Classic buffalo knee-jerk stupidity.

You are absurd if you really believe that bull ****. He absolutely will do what is best to help the Bills improve and become relevant, and more. Who gives a !@#$ if your "excitement" builds. It will build just fine with wins. Pegula, as a smart businessman, will get a good consultant, let the consultant evaluate the organization, then address the consultants recommendations. Your statement reeks of a clueless whining adolescent.

Edited by CodeMonkey