Jets bring in Casserly as a consultant

The game has changed significantly in the past few years. "Fit it up" won't work. Running backs are not the core of your offense. Parity makes it impossible to have all-stars at all positions. Schemes, personnel groupings, recognizing things at the line of scrimmage, etc. This is not your father's NFL. Some of the names kicked around as coaches and consultants have been away from the details for a few years, and may not understand today's game.

So picking the guy who is going to help you pick the guy becomes a problem in itself.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At least they are doing SOMETHING.

I wonder when I will come to this site and see a headline that the Bills have done something. I assume not before the end of the season.

There was initial talk of the Bills hiring a consultant which I think is great. Then we heard nothing. My opinion is we have hired someone on the down low and they have been evaluating and its my hope too.

Even then Most likely it will be a lot of ball washing between the OBD crony's on the noticeable improvement in the won/loss column

And the huge improvement in just year two of the current regime.

Selling propaganda starting with Brandon. With this roster talent we underachieved. Simple...

The game has changed significantly in the past few years. "Fit it up" won't work. Running backs are not the core of your offense. Parity makes it impossible to have all-stars at all positions. Schemes, personnel groupings, recognizing things at the line of scrimmage, etc. This is not your father's NFL. Some of the names kicked around as coaches and consultants have been away from the details for a few years, and may not understand today's game.

So picking the guy who is going to help you pick the guy becomes a problem in itself.

You better have your run fits shored up before anything else or you have no chance on defense. None.

GO BILLS!!!

I am almost certain the Pegulas will bring in someone as either a consultant or Football Ops person.

That doesn't mean everyone else is gone, but it DOES mean a very real (and obvious) split between what Russ does and what the football operations do.

I think Marrone is probably safe UNLESS he fights them on replacing Hackett. In that case, Pegula won't hesitate to send him packing.

Doubt it? Google Pat Lafontaine and Sabres President

You better have your run fits shored up before anything else or you have no chance on defense. None.

GO BILLS!!!

My comment was a reference to Wannstedt and his "fit it up" approach to defense. No stunts, no disguises, just beat the guy in front of you. That kind of defense won't work. One of the biggest criticisms of the Bills offensive line was that they couldn't handle stunts. They would have had no problem with a Wannstedt defense. Last night the Bengals disguised their defense by shifting TWICE while Peyton did his chicken dance. They really messed with his head.

My comment that these older guys don't necessarily understand some of the new approaches was really an attempt to say that Wannstedt came here with a lot of fan support, but it soon became apparent that his schemes were old-fashioned and ineffective. That is why I get nervous when people say Cowher, Holmgren, Polian, etc. Are they in touch with the modern NFL? I assume that they are more in touch than a casual fan such as myself, but the Wannstedt experience makes me nervous.

My comment that these older guys don't necessarily understand some of the new approaches was really an attempt to say that Wannstedt came here with a lot of fan support, but it soon became apparent that his schemes were old-fashioned and ineffective. That is why I get nervous when people say Cowher, Holmgren, Polian, etc. Are they in touch with the modern NFL? I assume that they are more in touch than a casual fan such as myself, but the Wannstedt experience makes me nervous.

Depends on their day jobs. Cowher & Polian are TV analysts and we don't know how much in depth study they do during the week vs just getting notes from the TV segment producers.

Wannstedt was a bad fit because he was immersed in college football and out of touch with the NFL for a long time. And that should be a cautionary take of what kind of college coach teams should be targeting. An old retread who didn't set the world on fire in college, probably wouldn't make a good NFL coach. See Dave Wannstedt, Chan Gailey, Mike Sherman, Greg Schiano.

I get the feelin Peyton man in is gonna hang it up after this year and he doesn't strike me as someone to just sit around and relax.

I'd bring him in in a heartbeat, even if he has no experience

No way.

He would take time off to be with his family for at least a year and then he will be paid huge money to be an analyst

CBF