what are chances Hughes gives Bills hometown discount ??

RCOHEN13

Care to name a few? Both teams are awful.

That's exactly my point! They both sign big names who are often over the hill, and yet they stink. That's not the way to go. I'm hoping we can be wise with our $$$ and spend in the right places.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think they'll offer him a reasonable contract but nothing more. Free agents usually find someone to pay more than what is reasonable. Like New Orleans falling for the Byrd facade. Haha suckas.

I think Hughes will go and we'll play Jarius Wynn and Lawson in his place, draft a pass rusher and not miss the guy at all. Maybe a little drop off but not enough to affect wins and losses.

We need to spend our money on Olinemen. If we're going to overpay anyone it needs to be the big nasties like Dareus, and any good free agent O line guys.

You cant tie up half your team money in your front four. Bad business.

We probably have the lowest paid Oline in the league right now and it shows. If we want to develop a qb lets start with giving him more than 2 seconds to throw the ball.

Edited by Webster Guy

That's exactly my point! They both sign big names who are often over the hill, and yet they stink. That's not the way to go. I'm hoping we can be wise with our $$$ and spend in the right places.

I think we will. We haven't given ridiculous contracts out in a few years.

For the same money we could sign Julius Thomas and massively upgrade the TE position. He reportedly turned down a contract from Denver to test out free agency at the end of this year and he's looking for around $8 million( http://www.milehighreport.com/2014/10/26/7076563/report-julius-and-demaryius-thomas-turned-down-lucrative-contract)

Who would you rather have on the team? Hughes or Thomas? I personally think the Dline would still be really good without Hughes, and having a TE like Thomas would give the offense a desperately needed boost.

None he will be the next in a long line of good Bills players playing or another team because he will test the waters & some team will offer him way to much money & as usual greed will over take rational thought & he will be gone !!

You are going to blame Hughes for taking more money than the Bills will offer and call him greedy? And it's irrational? Was Mario irrational when he signed his contract with the Bills? Were you upset with him and call him greedy?

I have NFL game rewind. I have gone back and watched every single play in every game. that's why, as an example, I know he was literally pancaked a half dozen times in the Cleveland game and why I will continue to dog him. Mario, kyle and marcel never get pancaked. don't get me wrong, hughes is a nice player. for me, he just doesn't come close to franchise tag money.

Yet he made the decisive play in the Cleveland game and caused Joe Thomas to commit 3 or 4 penalties. Teams around the league regard him as elite. He'll likely get $10 million per given that teams with good QBs and who are not so far away desperately need pass rushers (Atlanta, the Giants). Along with his 9.5 sacks, he's tied for 8th in the league with 15 hurries: http://www.sportingcharts.com/nfl/stats/defensive-hurries/2014/. He also has 6 tackles for loss/no gain on running plays.

So people rip GR, and I get that, but they had John Clayton on today.

He said Bills should try to get Hughes for $3.5-$4m..

Haha..I do a lot of driving and listen to GR a ton.....but Clayton is just an idiot...hate his weekly segment more than any other.

Or, do we value Hughes way more the other people might?

I mean $3.5 for Jerry Fuggung Hughes?

Clayton has NO idea what he is talking about. It's like he's completely unaware of what double-digit sack DEs get on the open market these days.

For the same money we could sign Julius Thomas and massively upgrade the TE position. He reportedly turned down a contract from Denver to test out free agency at the end of this year and he's looking for around $8 million( http://www.milehighr...rative-contract)

Who would you rather have on the team? Hughes or Thomas? I personally think the Dline would still be really good without Hughes, and having a TE like Thomas would give the offense a desperately needed boost.

I'd take Hughes. A pass rushing DE is just more important than a TE.

Edited by dave mcbride

Avril deal set market for Hughes?

With the Seattle Seahawks signing DE Cliff Avril to a four-year contract extension the market for the offseason might be set for impending free agents at the same position, like Buffalo’s Jerry Hughes.

Hughes, who is a half sack away from posting back-to-back double digit sack seasons, is set to become an unrestricted free agent. The Seahawks handed a pass rusher who has a similar game to that of Hughes a four-year extension worth a reported $28.5M over four years to Cliff Avril with $16M guaranteed.

I'd rather have Hughes for $11M/year than Mike Iupati for $8M/year.

I'd rather have Jordan Cameron or Julius Thomas for $8 million a year than Jerry Hughes for $11 million a year.

Also, Guards don't make $8 million. The highest paid guard in the entire league only makes $6.8 million a year.

Edited by TheBillsWillRiseAgain

I'd rather have Jordan Cameron or Julius Thomas for $8 million a year than Jerry Hughes for $11 million a year.

Also, Guards don't make $8 million. The highest paid guard in the entire league only makes $6.8 million a year.

Iupati will be looking to be the highest paid guard in football most likely, and right now, Logan Mankins makes--on average--$8.5M/year

http://www.spotrac.com/rankings/nfl/average/guard/

I wouldn't give either of those TEs $8M/year either. One of them has missed games with multiple injuries (including concussions), and the other has Peyton Manning throwing him the ball (and probably won't be allowed to hit FA anyway).

Either way, I'd pay the pass rusher before I'd pay anyone on offense. He's proven his worth on this team; something that cannot be over-stated when it comes to spending money.

Maybe Mario can have some influence since Jerry's fiancée watches all of Mario's dogs when they are on the road, lol. He tweeted about that. They are really good friends.

But, it's business.

I'll bet Mario had some pals in Houston. I know he was sold on the area, but that was after the Bills showed him the money. Being sold on the area was not something that led to a discount; it was something that allowed Mario to look at a traditionally maligned location and look past those impressions, to take the money.

Come contract time, it's business first, and even when it hurts the team, few players begrudge other players seeking big contracts. It might be the one chance they get, and Hughes has definitely had his ups and downs in the league. It's time to cash in on his good situation.

Iupati will be looking to be the highest paid guard in football most likely, and right now, Logan Mankins makes--on average--$8.5M/year

http://www.spotrac.c.../average/guard/

I wouldn't give either of those TEs $8M/year either. One of them has missed games with multiple injuries (including concussions), and the other has Peyton Manning throwing him the ball (and probably won't be allowed to hit FA anyway).

Either way, I'd pay the pass rusher before I'd pay anyone on offense. He's proven his worth on this team; something that cannot be over-stated when it comes to spending money.

Yeah I was looking at Guard base salaries here: http://www.spotrac.com/rankings/nfl/guard/. My bad.

An outside pass rusher might be more valuable than a TE in a general sense, but this team needs a TE more. The Dline isn't suddenly going to become terrible without Hughes and would still be the strongest individual unit on this team.

As we've plainly seen this and last season, an awesome defense isn't going to get you to the playoffs without an offense. They should be looking to make moves to make this team more balanced. Since there's zero chance we're going to be able to keep all the guys that make this defense AND sign guys to being the offense up to that level, they're going to have to balance out their salary allotment more.

• 2 weeks later...

I'd say the chances of Hughes giving a "Hometown Discount" are rather slim.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/12092009/buffalo-bills-defensive-end-jerry-hughes-does-not-plan-take-less-stay-team

"Yeah, I've never heard of that," Hughes said, laughing. "I guess that's a nice little deal, kind of throw that out there. But I've never heard of a hometown discount in the business world."

Keeping this DL intact along with somehow figuring out what to do at QB next yr. In regards to our biggest FA who will command huge money in the open market. Do u guys think there is any chance we takes a little less to stay in perfect situation (on D) and most likely still get a monster deal from Bills prob in the 10 mil a yr range.

We certainly have the cap room and as many have pointed out in other threads, if u factor in the cost of the front 7 not just DL, it averages out properly. I'd much rather have the superior talent up front and have younger, less expensive LB;s. As good as Ray Lewish was, the yr or 2 before Ngata got there , he was taking on alot more blocks from OL rather than having DL eat up the blocks, freeing him up to clean up.

Bradham and Brown have been outstanding this yr, but a HUGE factor in that is the success of our DL. Having Marcel and Kyle in the middle. (team will no doubt either excercise rookie contract option to keep him or re-sign him to extension) to go along with Super Mario on 1 side and is just a beast and living up to his contract. Hughes as the "speed" rusher from other and we have the best DL in NFL.

If Kiko comes back and is even close to as good as he was last yr, we could have a dynasty level D for a 4-5 run....

Of all the guys out there who SHOULD give a team a bit of a break to "keep team intact" its Hughes.... He is a hot head, pre season fights and all that junk.. takes some bad after the whistle penalties which are the most killer cuz it had nothing to do with play. Not to mention, Whaley and co. taking a chance on him, and turning him from 1st round bust label and blossoming into a star cuz Bills "saw something in him" where in Indy he was an afterthought and didnt fit their D.

I dont think Hughes is on the level that is categorized "Elite" D. linemen. Mario is elite, Watt is elite, even Dareus at this point has to be in that discussion. Those are guys that can go to any team and make plays.

I think Hughes benifits from the talent around him and is a bit undersized but has excellent motor and is solid vs run despite being under sized. If he were to go to highest bidder and has to be the "lead guy" i dont think he would be nearly as successful.

His long term value is in Buffalo even if the money isnt as big cuz if he stays and gets 4-5 yr 10 mil a deal rather than lets say 12 mil on open market and possibly play for a team like Wash (purely meant as example, not speculation) who tends to pay big $ and still screw up. In this day and age NFL contracts are written in pencil anyway! Deals are re-done and guys get cut sometimes just 1 yr into that deal!

Staying in Buffalo just makes the most sense from all facades. His still gets a very rich deal. Stays in a KNOWN situation and knowing team has rest of the DL under contract for few yrs has to be huge factor. As much as these guys love $$$, they need the success on the field to KEEP the money coming. He can easily continue racking up great years alongside Kyle, Mario and Marcel and his next contract will be a big one as well.

Him leaving for a few mil more risks him going to an new situation. The Bills got him for NOTHING cuz the Colts figured this guy was useless. We turned a "1st round bust" hybrid DE/ LB who seemed lost in the shuffle.... To a pro-bowl level player.

I just hope both parties come to agreement to keep him here. This is the closest we have been to building a contender. This team needs far less fixes than any team in playoff drought years. Re-sign Hughes, extend or use option on Dareus.. sign AND draft a guard and find a new OC and then FIND A DAMN QB!!!!!!!

I've been a big backer of Cutler even after his dreadful season and even after his awful performance the other night. Marrone is a tough coach and think Cutler has been around too many coaches that coddled him. The kid needs a reality check and with the right OC, and our D, if he could get motivated to reach even HALF his potential, he would be the guy who could lead this squad the post season.

Fire away!!!

RC

1) Buffalo is not his hometown. 1) was an attempt at humor. OK now for the reality:

a) The NFL is a very dangerous game, one play and your career and income potential is gone forever.

b) Rookies sign a low value rookie deal, usually 4 or 5 years. Hughes' rookie deal is up

c) Hughes has a rare abiilty that is coveted in today's NFL. he gets to the QB on a regular basis. Teams pay huge $$ for this particular ability

d) This will be Hughes last large NFL contract in all probability

Therefore expect him to cash in the maximum about possible to ensure his finanical future against the (highly likely) possibility he has a career ending/limiting injury during the term of his contract. So much for your hometown discount idea. Bills either step up to that reality or watch as someone else does it. Simple. Just like Byrd, Whitner, Peters, Pat Williams, Antoine Winfield and all the others. You get what you pay for in free agency. That's why its so important for an relatively unattractive team/market like Bills/WNY to draft lights out every year. Draftees are trapped in this franchise for at least 4 years and you hope they can play quickly. this What made the EJ/Losman/Collins/Edwards moves so damaging. Bad drafting + top FA players leave and won't come = 15 years of suck.

Edited by 8and8Forever

ZERO chance he gives a home town discount. this will be his one and only chance to cash in.

can you say OVER RATED !!

PRO: one trick pony who uses speed only (no power) to mop up "coverage" sacks and turnovers. gets credit for facing opponents LT.

CON: weak vs Run , no power and is handled one on one by opposing tight ends. was pancaked 6 times vs cleveland, often turns his back to blocker during spin move and completely gives up on play, is the most penalized player on team (mentally challenged) , leads the league in unsportsmanlike conduct penalties. is total beneficiary of playing on line with 3 pro bowlers. is never double teamed. if he left buffalo and was the #1 rusher on another team you would never hear his name again.

Conclusion: if you can get him for $7-8 mil maybe, anything more and your better off spending it elsewhere. retaining dareus and kyle Williams far more important.

Amazing how for a guy with no power Tackles were routinely pushed back into the QB by Hughes...

In what other profession would this question even be asked?

I don't know about it actually getting asked but it exists. Sometimes you have to leave your current employer to get paid what you're worth, but sometimes you stay because there's other things you like more than the pay, or you're just comfortable.

Edited by Triple Threat

Zero chance. He's a guy who has exploded on the scene and while Buffalo trade for him, he has no huge loyalty to the team or him. Some team is going to overpay him and the Bills have too much need at QB and O-Line to overpay. We can find another edge rusher to complement Mario. What we need to do is spend the D-Line money on extending Dareus.