Eric Wood's hit on Clay Matthews

Jerry Jabber

It's about time the Bills acted like they belong in the NFL. Inflicting pain is an integral part of the game.

Yup

Fire Marrone though. I'm sure he has nothing to do with the attitude adjustment around Buffalo

For years, the Bills have been pushed around physically. It was usually a Bills player on the end of the crushing block. Now that we are getting some of our own back, we have to worry about being too physical? For the last 6-10 years, the Bills led the league in players on IR. This year has reversed that trend. Excuse me if I don't shed any tears for Bulaga, Matthews, or any of the other myriad players the Bills have knocked out this year. Better them than us (for a change, and a long time comin').

This^

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's a little story for you.

Many years back, during the glory days, probably around 1991 or so, I was living in Chicago. The Bills were playing a preseason game against the Packers in Madison, WI (if I remember correctly). Place was jam packed, and a friend and I had seats in the upper deck. Early in the game, Kelly scrambled on a play and was hit as he was going out of bounds, and ended up being injured on the play. Can't remember what happened to him, but he was down for a while. As soon as the Packer faithful realized he was injured, they started cheering. Loudly.

I made the comment out loud, to no one in particular, that I couldn't believe people were cheering an injury, and on top of that in a preseason game.

Guy in front of me turned around and said, "If he can't take it, he shouldn't be playing the game!"

I shed no tears for any Packer yesterday.

Indeed. Another thing to worry about is if it becomes a trend, the league/other teams will look for it, and we see more penalties on the Bills in important games, because refs might be instructed to look for it (either by the league or the opposing team). I'm all for having attitude, protecting our players, not backing down, being aggressive... but those sorts of things can get flagged and set us back at inopportune times.

I understand there are some times when a player is not expecting a block (e.g. when a defensive player is returning an INT and another offensive player is blocked away from the play. This is an offensive lineman blocking a linebacker. I don't understand in what universe that would be considered dirty.

I think those moves are dirty, I don't care if it's "revenge".

It was a clean hit!!!

Am I missing something?

Woods hit him in the chest while the play was live. I hate dirty play but that doesn't seem dirty to me. Looks like good football.

It was a clean hit!!!

It's hits like Jerry's on Bulaga that will keep Schwartz from getting calls to a be a HC this off-season. He instructs his players to play right on the edge. The hit was legal, but the intent was to lay the dude out hard. We didn't get called on it (don't know why we would, but we see that call all the time) but the Denver game is a perfect example of guys pushing the limit and being flagged for it. This is a good thing to have in a DC (I think), but not as a head coach. Detroit wins close games and doesn't take half as many dumb penalties as they did last year. Hopefully FOs remember this so he stays our DC for a couple of years.

Come on, do you people follow football seriously. It was a clean hit! Hits like this happen each play in every game. Give me a break.

C'mon, that's not what I said.

It's a fine line to walk, I just hope we don't get suspensions for shots like that, that's the thing I worry about.

For blocking!!

Yup

Fire Marrone though. I'm sure he has nothing to do with the attitude adjustment around Buffalo

This^

You kind of said it all right there. There has been a serious attitude adjustment for this team and I love it. Marrone has avoided previous seasons of IR hell and yet no one speaks of it. This team is likely to end the season in relatively good health. Amen.

From what I heard on WGR, Hughes hit Bulaga very hard which caused him to exit the game. I don't like seeing players get hurt, but it's a

Violent game, not everyone can play it, especially at the pro level.

I looked at the play today and Hughes' hit was entirely legal. Rambo was still running the return back and Bulaga was trying to get to him when Hughes leveled him. That hit is why Mario was going against a back up from Akron on the strip sack that sealed the win.

I wonder what the comments would be if it was say Kiko on the receiving end of exactly the same play.

I suspect somewhat different.

It was at the very least borderline dirty to me. Well behind the play but probably close enough not to get a call for that.

But if you look at the link above, you can see Woods lower his head and hit CM what looks to be in the chin. You can further see this was most likely the case by looking at the way CMs head moves after the contact.

I don't like cheap shots if the Bills player is giving or receiving them.

It's not dirty at all! Wood never lowered his head, he dropped his body down and exploded his shoulder through Clay Matthew's chest. Wood's helmet never contacted Matthews at all. The buffalo rumblings link has 2 angles that show it was a good hit.

I get what you are saying about Woods targeting Matthews rather than targeting someone closer to the play, but he wasn't dirty with his hit. It may have been payback for something else, but I am sick of the past years of our team having the opposition's will physically imposed on them. It's nice to see us doing it for a change!

If they can keep it up I'm really looking forward to that Patriots game.

I looked at the play today and Hughes' hit was entirely legal. Rambo was still running the return back and Bulaga was trying to get to him when Hughes leveled him. That hit is why Mario was going against a back up from Akron on the strip sack that sealed the win.

I didn't see the replay, but I'm glad to hear it was a clean hit. I hate to see anyone get injured, but it definitely was a game changer as Mario sealed the game with the strip sack against Bulaga's backup.

2 questions:

How long has Bulaga or Matthews been playing NFL football, never mind football in general?

Shouldn't we expect, that they know, on plays like that, to keep their heads up/on a swivel?

Thus, I don't understand any tearing up over them getting rocked. I was listening to the Packers post-game radio(because schadefreude), and they were laying it all at Schwartz's feet. "Well, it seems that once again, this is the kind of team JIm Schwartz wants...cheap shots...etc".

I almost called in to remind them that Kerry Wood plays on offense, and that Doug Marrone was the head coach, but it was more fun to listen to their incoherent wailing. So satisfying. :lol:

Edited by OCinBuffalo

To me it looked higher, and that the defender wasn't actively pursuing (depends on actively, seemed like a lazy jog towards the ball). That's not an engaged block, that's a hit on another player not expecting a hit, hence why I think it's a bit dirty. It may full well be legal, I'm not clear. "Dirty" is simply subjective, and I'm fine with disagreeing with others on it. To me it's either dirty, or very close to being dirty.

The Hughes hit, though, was no question dirty

you must have never played football or must have not been good. that scenario is what every football player dreams of. de-cleating a player who isnt looking. its not dirty, its part of the game. keep yer head up

Edited by CJallDAY