Eric Wood's hit on Clay Matthews

Jerry Jabber

Found the Hughes hit on Bulaga:

https://vine.co/v/OgKjZz919PM

the Packers must be soft if they get their ass beat down so easily. Maybe they're not used to be on that end of the game. Not like Rodgers has many INT's. We just make a living at it.

I had thought that was the hit but that was nothing.

Woods didn't really hit Matthews all that hard and there was clearly no intent to injure. Matthews got decleated fairly easily for a man so big.

Same with beluga. He was barely hit

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hard to fully evaluate Hughes's from that short clip. But it looks like it was close enough to the play based on the action around them, and he hit him from the front of B, not the side. And he doesn't look like he got a running start and fully jacked him up, based on the angles where the 2 finished. I'd like to see more, but I'm leaning toward hard but within the scope of the game and not dirty.

Wood's was definitely clean, to me.

kj

can someone who understands OL play answer this for me, it's something i've always wondered:

is Eric Wood a good center? Top 20? Top 10? Top 5?

i get a lot of very mixed messages about his talent-level.

Wood might be one of the most underrated linemen in the league. He's a very good center who's had to play one handed all year thanks to the stiffs playing next to him. The hate Wood gets on here from fans are largely from those who don't understand line play or what they're looking at on Sundays. Wood is the anchor on this line. Is he great? Probably not at that level, but he's a top level center in the league -- especially if you consider the guys he has to play against twice a year in the AFC East over his career.

can someone who understands OL play answer this for me, it's something i've always wondered:

Last year my opinion was that he's a top 5 center; this year he hasn't fared as well.

I think he's probably top 10.

Guys that most would probably put in front of him: Mangold, Pouncey, Pouncey, Mack, Unger, Kalil, Kelce.

Top 10. Makes good line calls. Rarely screws that up. He has to really work double duty since the OGs on the team are average at best.

Last year my opinion was that he's a top 5 center; this year he hasn't fared as well.

I think he's probably top 10.

Guys that most would probably put in front of him: Mangold, Pouncey, Pouncey, Mack, Unger, Kalil, Kelce.

Miami uses their Pouncey as a guard, due to the solid play of Samson Satele in the position

Miami uses their Pouncey as a guard, due to the solid play of Samson Satele in the position

Indeed. They've done that this year, mostly resulting from the fact that Pouncey missed the first 6 weeks due to injury and they didn't have a great option at RG.

Nevertheless, I think most NFL talent evaluators would put Mike Pouncey ahead of Wood at the center position.

I just want to clarify my opinion.

- I do not think all blocking is dirty

- I don't think blocking a pursuing player is dirty

- I admit that it's on an edge, and was possibly retaliation for the earlier late hit on Jackson

post-13793-0-52882400-1418741213_thumb.jpg

The reason I have issue with it is three-fold, the play is going towards the right, and Wood is blocking back towards his endzone. Matthews is already out of the play at this point, as well. Lastly, it's a clear that the intention was to put a shot on him, he throws his shoulder up to get a high hit on Matthews. Is this anger and frustration? Intention to hurt? Dunno.

I'm fine with being disagreed with, and fully understand I'm in the minority, but I also don't like when my opinion is misrepresented. It may very well be a legal hit, but it still came off as cheap to me.

I get what your saying - that even a glancing blow there ends Matthews potential involvement in the play. Why blow up a guy unneeded? I go back and forth on the topic. This one doesn't particularly bother me though.

I get what your saying - that even a glancing blow there ends Matthews potential involvement in the play. Why blow up a guy unneeded? I go back and forth on the topic. This one doesn't particularly bother me though.

These kinds of hits really have nothing to do with the intention of the blocker.... Wood just has to basically stand there and lean forward. It's Matthews' momentum that is responsible for the impact. Other than try to completely avoid him, there's nothing that Wood could have done that would end up in a different result for Matthews.