Building a team: defense, ST, and then offense?

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe 10 to 15 years ago.

Not any more. The league nowadays is offense oriented. If Marrone really thinks that he is way behind the times.

Ummm.... how did the 2 top offences fair the past 2 weeks against this defense? I'm thinking Marrone knows what he is doing.

The Seahawks have the best defense and the have great CBs. The Pats have a good D and great CB. The Broncos have 1-2 great ones. The Cards have a great D and a great CB. The Ravens defenses that were great had great CBs.

The Seahawks also have a solidified QB position, DEs that pressure, an OT that can pass protect, and an RB that can take pressure off the QB. Polian's words hold true with Seattle.

Again, it's not a linear process, Polian never intimated otherwise. But when you have solidified these positions, you have a leg up. Can't see how that's in dispute.

GO BILLS!!!

The Seahawks also have a solidified QB position, DEs that pressure, an OT that can pass protect, and an RB that can take pressure off the QB. Polian's words hold true with Seattle.

Again, it's not a linear process, Polian never intimated otherwise. But when you have solidified these positions, you have a leg up. Can't see how that's in dispute.

GO BILLS!!!

Polian's point, yours, and to a big degree mine are proven to be true simply by how much the league pays players. QB is the most important position. They make the most money by far. DE are second I think. LTs are right up there. And WR. CBs are between 3-5. Only RB are not paid top money in that list. And that's partly because good ones come from all places, and partly because their importance has diminished.

Pears has been a horrible OG and forsee him being shown the door. Urbik isn't great but think he's solid and/or a depth guy better than Richardson right now so be okay retaining him and adding another vet to the mix.

Robert Woods will be in his 3rd year next year and that's the year most WRs finally "get it" and have no qualms with him and Sammy as our two top WRs. Hogan as a 3rd is sketchy and like to add a vet to the mix but it's gotta be an affordable guy. Someone like Nate Washington should be available and think wouldn't cost to much to have. I'm not sold on Goodwin or Thompson. So here's my proposed WR core next year

Sammy Watkins

Robert Woods

Nate Washington

Chris Hogan

Marcus Thigpen

Marcus Easley

What's sketchy about Hogan? The fact that he can catch whatever is thrown his way but does not have blazing speed to score every time he gets the ball? Very few receivers in the league have it all together. Was Andre Reed a major "burner?" Look where he is now.

Not any more. The league nowadays is offense oriented. If Marrone really thinks that he is way behind the times.

Right, score 40 points and lose.

So I make a point, which to you means nothing, for which you have no response (perhaps because you just got bitched slapped) and need to go away. Whatever, you're the one contributing zero.

You made no point. You just listed a bunch of teams as if...well I don't know...all you did was list a bunch of teams.

What's sketchy about Hogan? The fact that he can catch whatever is thrown his way but does not have blazing speed to score every time he gets the ball? Very few receivers in the league have it all together. Was Andre Reed a major "burner?" Look where he is now.

You didn't really compare Chris Hogan to Andre Reed did you? And he doesn't catch close to everything thrown his way. And his next broken tackle will be his first, and he constantly runs patterns short of where he needs to go. He's not an overall good WR at all.

O Coordinator= #1 concern with QB a close second and o line 3rd. Someone mentioned Chudzinski in another post. The idea grows on me more and more. Don't know where he is or what he's up to but it would be an instant upgrade. We have some great talent on the offensive side of the ball and someone has to be able to put it to better use.

Did you guys catch the FOX announcers say that Marrone told them that the way you build a winning team is first by defense, then ST, and then offense?

This was the first time I have ever heard Marrone espouse this theory.

What do folks think? It sounded like an excuse as to why our offense is bad, but assuming it isn't, is this the right way to build your team?

A great formula for one game. Is it sustainable for an entire season, see the Bills record: 8-6.

See Seattle and Arizona...

Seattle went into Philly and absolutely b!tch slapped the Eagles holding them to 139 yards of total offense...Eagles had one of the best offenses in the NFL and were at home yet could do virtually nothing...

and wait a minute...didn't they just win the Super Bowl last year by making Manning look like Manziel did today?

Edited by matter2003

I think Green Bay proved that today. :rolleyes:

Nothing changes. Defense wins titles.

Edited by PromoTheRobot

Every team we lost to because of our inept offense, or have you not paid attention to the entire season?

Okay.

And relevant to the actual topic of this thread, every game we've won this season--including today's--has been because of defense and special teams.

So, unless your expectation was 19-0 this season (bravo, if it was), I'm not sure what you're bitching about this time.

Did you guys catch the FOX announcers say that Marrone told them that the way you build a winning team is first by defense, then ST, and then offense?

This was the first time I have ever heard Marrone espouse this theory.

What do folks think? It sounded like an excuse as to why our offense is bad, but assuming it isn't, is this the right way to build your team?

Is that why they went so "offensive" in the draft last season? Nice try Mr. Saint

You didn't really compare Chris Hogan to Andre Reed did you? And he doesn't catch close to everything thrown his way. And his next broken tackle will be his first, and he constantly runs patterns short of where he needs to go. He's not an overall good WR at all.

I think he did compare Hogan to Reed. I think Tasker as a WR is a better comparison.