Building a team: defense, ST, and then offense?

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, today we squared off against the greatest QB of all time, and the formula worked.

Did you have evidence to contrary?

I am not saying it's right or wrong, just interesting (assuming he said it).

I would never consider building my team sequentially, from phase to phase, or starting with the defense-- but maybe that is the way other teams do it.

Maybe the idea is build your existing strength so it is dominating, even if it leaves another phase below average.

I agree that's how a team should be built, assuming you're starting without a top quarterback, which don't grow on trees. It allows you to boast a cost controlled competitor, able to control field position and TOP, and keep your team in position to win close games.

This team is a league average QB away from being a perennial contender.

With that said, Marrone only deserves very minor credit for the build of this team. The pieces were here before he was.

Did you guys catch the FOX announcers say that Marrone told them that the way you build a winning team is first by defense, then ST, and then offense?

This was the first time I have ever heard Marrone espouse this theory.

What do folks think? It sounded like an excuse as to why our offense is bad, but assuming it isn't, is this the right way to build your team?

It may be an excuse but I think it's a good plan. If so then this offseason means we need to keep the D together (see retain Hughes, Spikes and Searcy), keep the ST together (retain Easley) and add to the O. Which to me means adding a starting OG (or 2) and TE. My short list of guys in UFAs would be at OG Paul Fanaika or John Jerry and TE Jordan Cameron (or Julius Thomas). Then in the draft you can go for best guy available but I'd focus on maybe in Round 2 get a guy like Josue Matias and in Round 3 maybe a RB to replace Spiller and and eventually replace Freddie like Javorius Allen, in Round 5 find a DE to shore up depth and develop behind Mario and Hughes and with our second 5th Rounder take a QB like Chuckie Keeton, Round 6 add a S to add depth and Round 7 maybe a WR.

Too bad this defensive is never going to have its equal in an offense. Offenses take years to develop, unless you pick up Payton Manning or Drew Brees in their prime. A journeyman QB, who the Bills are fond of, is just never going to cut it. The only saving grace would be if EJ magically develops.

Edited by Saint Doug

It may be an excuse but I think it's a good plan. If so then this offseason means we need to keep the D together (see retain Hughes, Spikes and Searcy), keep the ST together (retain Easley) and add to the O. Which to me means adding a starting OG (or 2) and TE. My short list of guys in UFAs would be at OG Paul Fanaika or John Jerry and TE Jordan Cameron (or Julius Thomas). Then in the draft you can go for best guy available but I'd focus on maybe in Round 2 get a guy like Josue Matias and in Round 3 maybe a RB to replace Spiller and and eventually replace Freddie like Javorius Allen, in Round 5 find a DE to shore up depth and develop behind Mario and Hughes and with our second 5th Rounder take a QB like Chuckie Keeton, Round 6 add a S to add depth and Round 7 maybe a WR.

We may already have a second competent OG on the team. In no way do you bank on that being the case, but the young guys we already have may emerge as the game continues to slow down for them.

That's great and all, but who's going to be our QB? Sure, the Bills will win some ball games, maybe even challenge for a wild-card spot, but without a QB they're not going any further.

Not having a top-20 NFL QB, and then having him work with a rookie and two second-year WRs, a merely serviceable TE and just three average NFL starter quality OL might make you go that route.

But hey, let's not look reality in the face. This is TSW, afterall...

Plz dont kill their vibe :lol:

That's great and all, but who's going to be our QB? Sure, the Bills will win some ball games, maybe even challenge for a wild-card spot, but without a QB they're not going any further.

Would you rather play playoff games in search of a franchise quarterback or be perennially 6-10 in search of a franchise quarterback?

Until I see or hear what the context was, I call bullschit. Anybody with half a brain knows that building a team is NEVER a linear process, but for those that have missed the first thousand times I've posted Polian's formula, here is the importance of position if when building a team from scratch:

1.) Quarterback

2.) pass rushing DE

3.) Left OT

4.) RB

5.) WR

Nothing about the game's evolution in the last 20 years has changed that. Polian was right back then and he's right today.

GO BILLS!!!

If we improved the Oline and settled on a feature back why couldn't we win more games and why couldnt we go any farther . Not everyone can have a Rodgers to think that we cant go far unless we have one is ridiculous