[Please Change Title]Chris Williams?

Pete

Chris Williams, Keith Rivers, E.J. Manuel... all busts. What do they have in common? Size, pedigree, athleticism. Because that trumps performance according to the Bills front office. (I won't say anything about Russell Wilson, I won't I won't!)

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If Marrone is here next year, I don't think much will be done with the line, maybe draft someone who can backup wood and could possibly fill in at guard. Adding four guys just last year tends to have the coaches thinking they can get it done with this crew given another offseason. I think it will be interesting if they resign Hairston because if they do it may mean that Kujo may not have a home. I don't know if he bends well enough to play G. Pears/Urbik are probably gone with Williams and Richardson jumping in and whoever at backup G. So Glenn, Williams, Wood, Richardson, Henderson, Kujo and maybe Hairston.(both tackles?) along with a drafted/acquired backup or two. Hope is the word.

No way they don't try to upgrade the line next year. Can't go in thinking anyone on the team this year will make the line better next year. It will be difficult to get a good QB next year so the best way to make an upgrade at QB is to improve the line. They must draft high and place a priority on FA.

Chris Williams signed a 4 year / $13.15 million contract with the Buffalo Bills, including a $3,500,000 signing bonus, $3,500,000 guaranteed, and an annual average salary of $3,287,500.

his DEAD MONEY if cut after this season would be $2.6 mil

http://www.spotrac.c...chris-williams/

Malpractice. Especially considering the absolute debacle at guard the previous year. Whaley brings in some other team's bust and a fourth rounder as an afterthought. I posted some time ago that the collective wisdom of this board--collective, mind you--could do a better job than Whaley. Now I'm thinking any idiot with a fan magazine could do better.

Malpractice. Especially considering the absolute debacle at guard the previous year. Whaley brings in some other team's bust and a fourth rounder as an afterthought. I posted some time ago that the collective wisdom of this board--collective, mind you--could do a better job than Whaley. Now I'm thinking any idiot with a fan magazine could do better.

What is really ludicrous about this entire situation is that the Bills were trying to develop a corps of rookie QB's last year, and a 2nd year QB this year behind said lines.

The GM is being paid millions to do this type of job? While he has had some good success with the defensive side of the ball. You could look at the acquisitions for the O line, drafting EJ, the trading for Mike Williams. the trading away of Stevie Johnson. the trading for Bryce Brown. Giving up three draft picks, two first rounders for a player that is currently only the fourth best at his position. You could easily say that the offensive side has almost been a complete, and utter failure.

Malpractice is being kind, breech of contract for failure to perform the job he was hired for....perhaps he should refund half his salary. -_- It begs the question as to what new ownership will do after the season ends.

Can he be a capable starting guard for us next year? Or is he just an overpriced tomato can? What is his cap hit? Can we benefit by cutting him and signing a real guard?

no, yes, yes

It should be said that the disappearance of our run game correlated with the injury of Chris Williams.

To not keeping urbick in there from the get go and letting Levitre go before that.

A few thoughts:

- Can Williams Start? Yes. Is he a quality starter? Adequate. but Urbik is better. If I had a choice, I would certainly keep Urbik over Williams. But, the organization kept him on the bench for half the season. What does that tell you about coaching and front office acumen?

- Is Richardson the "hope"? … did he show enough to think there is a potential there? From our untrained eyes: No! Especially when you compare what he has done to other rookie OG around the league. A big whiff by the Bills front office and scouting department.

- And a bigger whiff—literally and figuratively—Kojo! How could he be this bad and and the Bills were the only ones who didn't see it???

- Henderson has saved the bacon for this draft class; but again, everyone knew he had talent, so not really a big find by the Bills front office or scouts. Just a lucky find, for which we're grateful. A little luck always helps.

- This same front office and coaching staff, signed a performance-poor and injury-plagued FA to help shore up the line, and how is that working out?

- Oh, and we all know Pears should have been gone, or at least moved back to OT, a long tome ago. Again, Coaching and front office incompetence.

So Conclusions and Solutions:

- Get better coaches, o-line scouts, etc. . . . they have convincingly proven they don't have a clue.

- My line solution: get a quality Center or O Guard in free agency, one that can start and improve us right away. If it's a center, move Wood back to guard, he's proven he can play it, and play it well.

- Then, let the leftovers: Williams, Urbik, Richardson, Kujo, and maybe a quality draft pick, fight it out for the other spot. Maybe one of the younger guys develops enough to replace the Urbik/Williams "studies in mediocrity" department.

In terms of 5th round pick Cyril Richadson, exactly how many players taken later in the draft over the last 14 years have even made the team to become a starter, or even made any impact at all?

The simple fact is that almost any player drafted later then the 3rd-4th round hasn't made a real impact for the team. So we can't really expect anyone drafted that late to be worth anything.

6 players drafted after the 4th round in 2002 5th rounder,(Justin Bannan)

4 players drafted after the 4th round in 2003-zero

2 players drafted after the 4th round in 2004-zero

3 players drafted after the 4th round in 2005- zero

6 players drafted after the 3rd round in 2006 5th round (Kyle Williams)( Brad Butler)

4 players drafted after the 3rd round in 2007- zero

7 players drafted after the 3rd round in 2008- 7th round (Demetress Bell)(Stevie Johnson)

4 players drafted after the 3rd round in 2009- 7th round (Ellis Lankster) for the NYJets

6 players drafted after the 3rd round in 2010 -4th round (Marcus Easley)

6 players drafted after the 4th round in 2011- zero

4 players drafted after the 4th round in 2012- zero

3 players drafted after the 4th round in 2013-zero

4 players drafted after the 3rd round in 2014 7th round (Seantrel Henderson)

So, out of 13 years of drafting the Bills have been able to find exactly three gems out of fifty nine players. One of those three an all pro.

Bottom line is we shouldn't seriously expect Richardson develop into a starter, much less a top player. The Bills desperately need to reverse this trend of sub par players at OG.

• 4 weeks later...

Anyone know his status? Did he ever have surgery? Most thought he was best guard in camp though that is not saying much. If healthy that might be one less hole to fill in FA and draft even after Pears is not brought back.

He's listed on the "active" roster.

What makes sense as far as guards really depends upon what direction the new HC/OC wants to go in as far as blocking scheme and guards.

Marrone favored big tackle-size guards. That comes at the expense of nimbleness in run blocking.

They interviewed him on locker clean out day and he said he felt good and planned to be back.

No need to cut him until their replacements are better than him. As much as he was hated when we picked him up, he leaved a big hole when he went down.

I am not convinced that Cyril isn't going to be a starter, I think he will turn out to be a more than serviceable starter, most linemen struggle as rookies, I think he had as many good moments as bad. In the right offense I think he will be excellent.

In terms of 5th round pick Cyril Richadson, exactly how many players taken later in the draft over the last 14 years have even made the team to become a starter, or even made any impact at all?

The simple fact is that almost any player drafted later then the 3rd-4th round hasn't made a real impact for the team. So we can't really expect anyone drafted that late to be worth anything.

6 players drafted after the 4th round in 2002 5th rounder,(Justin Bannan)

4 players drafted after the 4th round in 2003-zero

2 players drafted after the 4th round in 2004-zero

3 players drafted after the 4th round in 2005- zero

6 players drafted after the 3rd round in 2006 5th round (Kyle Williams)( Brad Butler)

4 players drafted after the 3rd round in 2007- zero

7 players drafted after the 3rd round in 2008- 7th round (Demetress Bell)(Stevie Johnson)

4 players drafted after the 3rd round in 2009- 7th round (Ellis Lankster) for the NYJets

6 players drafted after the 3rd round in 2010 -4th round (Marcus Easley)

6 players drafted after the 4th round in 2011- zero

4 players drafted after the 4th round in 2012- zero

3 players drafted after the 4th round in 2013-zero

4 players drafted after the 3rd round in 2014 7th round (Seantrel Henderson)

So, out of 13 years of drafting the Bills have been able to find exactly three gems out of fifty nine players. One of those three an all pro.

Bottom line is we shouldn't seriously expect Richardson develop into a starter, much less a top player. The Bills desperately need to reverse this trend of sub par players at OG.

you left out UDFAs and you could actually make the argument less later round choices make the team because the team is better than it used to be. Just a thought or two.