Hoyer Paranoia: A Tenuous Hold as Browns' Starting QB

My opinion is that it's a bad move. Not a no brainer but there are a lot of things at play.

1] There is no way that Brian Hoyer leads them to a playoff win. IMO not a chance. There is a reasonable chance that they squeak by and get in the playoffs with him. I doubt it and would bet they miss out altogether.

2] In the next game they play, I imagine it's pretty close as to "who gives them the best chance to win." Hoyer is clearly better prepared but the Browns are not a good team. They are going to be without Austin and Barnidge. I would argue that Manziel gives them at least as good a chance to win as Hoyer does, and this is knowing that JF doesnt know the whole offense.

3] The only reason you play the game is to win it all. I understand the idea of trying to get in the playoffs were anything can happen. I understand the idea that it helps build the team's and the fans confidence. But the only way the Browns are going to do anything this year is if Johnny Football goes nuts. It's possible. I'm not predicting it, I'd bet against it, but it's possible. Brian Hoyer going nuts is impossible.

4] I think the coaches know they really aren't that good, although I'm sure they believe they have a chance to win. That's obvious. And that's why I think they are starting Hoyer. If JF stank up the joint, they could and would be second guessed. If Hoyer pulls off a miracle they will look like geniuses. If he doesn't, then they start Manziel the next week and pray for him to pull off the miracle.

If I were them, I would play Manziel this week. It's their only chance for a truly miracle season.

I agree with everything you are saying but if true that Johnny Football doesn't even know their offense yet, you can't put him in there. He'll have no respect as a leader. I thought he was further along than that. It's obvious the scouts have picked up on Hoyer's tendencies and Searcy did too last week because by the second half he was sitting on all the routes he knew Hoyer would go to.

Pettine and Shanahan need to retool their offense a bit and coach up Hoyer to change his tendancies. And Manziel gets the direct message that a few glory plays doesn't annoint him starter, he has to put more work in.

Once the Browns are out of contention than Manziel is in line for playing time but only if he can correctly call the offense.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with everything you are saying but if true that Johnny Football doesn't even know their offense yet, you can't put him in there. He'll have no respect as a leader. I thought he was further along than that. It's obvious the scouts have picked up on Hoyer's tendencies and Searcy did too last week because by the second half he was sitting on all the routes he knew Hoyer would go to.

Pettine and Shanahan need to retool their offense a bit and coach up Hoyer to change his tendancies. And Manziel gets the direct message that a few glory plays doesn't annoint him starter, he has to put more work in.

Once the Browns are out of contention than Manziel is in line for playing time but only if he can correctly call the offense.

I'm not sure this is what happened because I wasn't there but I assume what they meant was that every team game plans and has about 30 odd plays that they prepare for depending on their guys and the other teams guys. JF didn't get the reps. The plays that were in the game plan that Hoyer runs were the plays that were called against the Bills and maybe he wasn't too sure about a couple of them. If they know he is starting they will game plan with him and I guarantee he knows all the plays they will want to run against the Colts.

I think they're giving the guy a fair chance to prove his worth, especially doing right by the guy in a contract year. He just got Josh Gordon back a couple of weeks ago and I heard this morning where the guy is 10-5 as a starter for them. I wish we had a QB that was 10-5 as a starter in the last, idk, 15 years or so.They also are without Jordan Cameron and their All Pro Center Alex Mack at the moment and have been for a major part of the season. Manziel may be the future in Cleveland, but he is by no means being hurt by riding the sideline. Hoyer may not be great, but he has been good enough for them. Good enough at least for now.

Says what they think of Johnny Football.

A PFT stated that the Browns receivers had to correct the play calls in the huddle for Manzel. Other than that he's ready

During the game they would show Manzel on the sideline chatting up teammates, laughing, basically hanging out enjoying the atmosphere (i guess) and not really engaged in the game or what is going on between Hoyer, OC, and QB coach.

Manuel on the other hand always seemed engaged in what is going on with the game, play calling, and offense strategy.

Lol what a bunch of dopes. Hoyer coming off lowest rated 3 game stretch of any qb this season and they let him talk himself into the starting position. Makes Brown's coaches look weak letting hoyer dictate whose starting. JF gives them the best chance to win. Give the guy reason to play instead of throwing him in after Hoyer loses the season.

Lol what a bunch of dopes. Hoyer coming off lowest rated 3 game stretch of any qb this season and they let him talk himself into the starting position. Makes Brown's coaches look weak letting hoyer dictate whose starting. JF gives them the best chance to win. Give the guy reason to play instead of throwing him in after Hoyer loses the season.

The guy with virtually no game experience, who doesn't know the playbook gives them the best chance to win? Please explain. The Browns don't have Duke on the schedule this Sunday.

Is Pettine making the right move?

Last weeks film from Clevelands game at Buffalo says no. Manziel entered early in the fourth quarter and gave the Browns offense a noticeable jolt with his legs. And though he did not read the field with perfect aplomb, Manziel didn't read it incorrectly the way Hoyer did on multiple plays. Hoyer predetermined some throws and forced balls into coverage. He also left a few open receivers on the field, which at times made the Bills pass rush a factor when it shouldn't have been. Hoyer lacks the physical tools to overcome such deficiencies, which were also apparent two Sundays ago against the Falcons defense.

http://mmqb.si.com/2014/12/03/nfl-cleveland-browns-brian-hoyer-johnny-manziel-mike-pettine/

Edited by papazoid

The guy with virtually no game experience, who doesn't know the playbook gives them the best chance to win? Please explain. The Browns don't have Duke on the schedule this Sunday.

The guy with 1 TD and 6 picks over last 4 weeks. The guy over last 3 games has lowest QBR this seasons of any starter. Yeah let's keep the known suck in there versus unkbown potential. And saying JF doesn't know playbook is silly too. He's been doing something for last 12 weeks. And BTW this is a new offense for BH too

The guy with 1 TD and 6 picks over last 4 weeks. The guy over last 3 games has lowest QBR this seasons of any starter. Yeah let's keep the known suck in there versus unkbown potential. And saying JF doesn't know playbook is silly too. He's been doing something for last 12 weeks. And BTW this is a new offense for BH too

No it isn't. Teammates were correcting his calls on the field last Sunday. He doesn't know the playbook. Fact! If he's the best choice, you really ought to get on the phone with Shanahan and Pettine since you know better.

Divided locker room:

Many Browns players favored keeping Hoyer, left tackle Joe Thomas said, because he gives Cleveland the best chance to win.

"Certainly when you start throwing guys in there trying to see what they can do, the message is, 'We're already playing for next year,'" Thomas said. "'We don't think necessarily that we can get to the playoffs this year anymore.'"

The Hoyer vote was not unanimous; one Browns player told ESPN.com he was "all for" Manziel, in part because of his impressive 80-yard drive capped by a 10-yard touchdown run in last week's game.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/11974726/cleveland-browns-quarterback-johnny-manziel-hopes-starting-nod-future

so i think we all agree i am clueless.

Puttiing Manziel in the game was genius. Pettine and Co. threw the Bills for a loop.

Great Coaching decision.

Now Johhny has tasted blood. His own. lets see how he feels about that. It was fun for a couple minutes. He has an arm that is pretty damned good. when he cam on the field he was very confident and got it done.

Then Kyle Williams gave him the once over.Twice . Manziel knows Kyle spared his life on the fumble play.

Pettine will be watching Manziel and Manziel will be watching Hoyer start. Mike gave him a hard core taste of success and horrible defeat in a matter of minutes

tipping point for the kid. i bet

ala JJ Watt and EJ Manuel.

still wanna play Big Boy football, kid ?

I swear, some elite QB could have thrown for 750 yards on Sunday, and the media would still be all over Manziel's jock like a growth. Down 17 with the defense giving him the middle of the field, he orchestrated a drive that ended up with a TD. Then the second series, it was 4 and out when it should have been 3 and a fumble out. What makes this kid any different than RGIII? Oh his faggy nickname I guess. The Bills let him taste the teeth of the defense but the media seems to forget that. He'll end up nothing more than Beiber wearing a football helmet

I swear, some elite QB could have thrown for 750 yards on Sunday, and the media would still be all over Manziel's jock like a growth. Down 17 with the defense giving him the middle of the field, he orchestrated a drive that ended up with a TD. Then the second series, it was 4 and out when it should have been 3 and a fumble out. What makes this kid any different than RGIII? Oh his faggy nickname I guess. The Bills let him taste the teeth of the defense but the media seems to forget that. He'll end up nothing more than Beiber wearing a football helmet

that was funny

He did more in one drive than hoyer in 3+ quarters. Also showed greater mobility and a stronger arm. If they want to stick with Hoyer, his 1td and 6 picks in last 4 games, and lowest QBR over last 3 games of any starter this year.... oh well same old Browns

Edited by JTSP