Hoyer Paranoia: A Tenuous Hold as Browns' Starting QB

He did more in one drive than hoyer in 3+ quarters. Also showed greater mobility and a stronger arm. If they want to stick with Hoyer, his 1td and 6 picks in last 4 games, and lowest QBR over last 3 games of any starter this year.... oh well same old Browns

C'mon. Its simple football math.

You bring in the unknown with no tape and little consideration by the Bills. Of course he has the coach advantage. And the kid has an arm.

Hats off for Jimmy s D to shut him up. quickly and hard

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

C'mon. Its simple football math.

You bring in the unknown with no tape and little consideration by the Bills. Of course he has the coach advantage. And the kid has an arm.

Hats off for Jimmy s D to shut him up. quickly and hard

Your statement contains no math or data

Here's examples of some that do for Hoyer:

- 1 td and 6 picks over last 4 games

- Lowest QBR over 3 games of any starter this year, in this case his last 3 games

- 3+ qtrs against Bills: 3 points, 0 TDs, 2 picks

Edited by JTSP

I think they got this wrong. In fact this would be the perfect time to put Manziel in...a rookie with no game film on him and an ability to really make something happen when the play breaks down. By the time teams would get enough game film on him to really prepare for him, the season would be over. During that 4 game stretch, he might be able to do enough things to get the Browns to the playoffs---not necessarily because he plays really well, but because teams have no idea how to really defense him properly...

Edited by matter2003

No it isn't. Teammates were correcting his calls on the field last Sunday. He doesn't know the playbook. Fact! If he's the best choice, you really ought to get on the phone with Shanahan and Pettine since you know better.

Exactly, and Petine also noted that in their film e v a l it was clear the Bills were playing more of a base D with lots of backup players. Another Fact.

This JF thing has overcome even some of the most reasonable football fans.

I wish I had more disposable income cuz I'd lay down good money that the guy will never amount to anything significant as an NFL QB.

Watch out kids! It's another scramble bomb to Mike Evans!

Edited by 34-78-83

I think they got this wrong. In fact this would be the perfect time to put Manziel in...a rookie with no game film on him and an ability to really make something happen when the play breaks down. By the time teams would get enough game film on him to really prepare for him, the season would be over. During that 4 game stretch, he might be able to do enough things to get the Browns to the playoffs---not necessarily because he plays really well, but because teams have no idea how to really defense him properly...

I think the other agenda -- and this would be just like the loser Browns mentaility - - is to let Hoyer start a few more games and look bad, just so they can say they gave him every opportunity before letting him walk in FA. This way they also save JF the blame for not making the playoffs. Contrary to popular opinion, it could be the case that Browns have concluded they most likely not make the playoffs and that's why they're playing Hoyer and sitting JF.

Statistical arguments aside, I'm amazed that Pettine was apparently unaware of the madness he was about to unleash by putting Manziel out there against us. With the Tebow like fanfare and media attention that follows Manziel, it puts Hoyer in a terrible spot. Whether or not Hoyer gives the Browns the best chance to win become irrelevant once JF was put in the game. Pettine says Hoyer is his guy, but all he did was increase the pressure on his starting QB. I'm not really certain who I would say the Browns starter should be. I just saw the Manziel move Sunday as one with no turning back. I think in the end its going to look like Pettine handled the situation poorly.

I think the other agenda -- and this would be just like the loser Browns mentaility - - is to let Hoyer start a few more games and look bad, just so they can say they gave him every opportunity before letting him walk in FA. This way they also save JF the blame for not making the playoffs. Contrary to popular opinion, it could be the case that Browns have concluded they most likely not make the playoffs and that's why they're playing Hoyer and sitting JF.

This is completely nonsensical. The Browns are in a playoff chase facing the possibility of another year of no playoffs and this is their motivation? They want to make the playoffs for their owner and long suffering fanbase. Your line of reasoning is beyond comical.

This is completely nonsensical. The Browns are in a playoff chase facing the possibility of another year of no playoffs and this is their motivation? They want to make the playoffs for their owner and long suffering fanbase. Your line of reasoning is beyond comical.

if they know JF is the future, no it's not. Their odds right now are less than 10% .... so you roll the dice with a less than 1 in 10 chance, risk polluting the image of your guy, and enter 2015 with the QB battle still unresolved? Pettine knows his job is safe for next year given the debacle from firing their 1st year coach last year, and that they've already won 3 more games. Hoyer is the free option ... if he and the team exceed expectations, fine ... if not, they're setting JF as the long term starter anyway. It's wholly consistent with how they've been approaching it since camp.

Edited by JTSP

if they know JF is the future, no it's not. Their odds right now are less than 10% .... so you roll the dice with a less than 1 in 10 chance, risk polluting the image of your guy, and enter 2015 with the QB battle still unresolved? Pettine knows his job is safe for next year given the debacle from firing their 1st year coach last year, and that they've already won 3 more games. Hoyer is the free option ... if he and the team exceed expectations, fine ... if not, we're setting JF as the long term starter anyway. It's wholly consistent with how they've been approaching it since camp.

They don't know because he's not done nearly enough on or off the field to show anyone he's the future. You're a obviously fan of Manziel who's trying to think of every reason in the world to make an excuse for why they didn't turn to him as the "best chance to win". You're failing.

They don't know because he's not done nearly enough on or off the field to show anyone he's the future. You're a obviously fan of Manziel who's trying to think of every reason in the world to make an excuse for why they didn't turn to him as the "best chance to win". You're failing.

IMO they do it's simply a matter of if he's ready or not. IYO he's not, and you're obviously in the camp of hating the guy because of his attitude or whatever ... fine w/ me. Im happy to see Browns take themselves fully out of the race

Edited by JTSP

IMO they do it's simply a matter of if he's ready or not. IYO he's not, and you're obviously in the camp of hating the guy because of his attitude or whatever ... fine w/ me. Im happy to see Browns take themselves fully out of the race

Again, call Shanahan and Pettine. Runaround QBs who don't work at their craft as professionals don't enjoy sustained success in the NFL and are destined to ultimately fail. Cheer on!

Again, call Shanahan and Pettine. Runaround QBs who don't work at their craft as professionals don't enjoy sustained success in the NFL and are destined to ultimately fail. Cheer on!

resorting to advice that's impossible since I dont have their #'s and they wouldnt answer the phone anyway, and as Ive said it's my preference competitors take themselves out anyway ... this thread is not going well for you :(

Your statement contains no math or data

Here's examples of some that do for Hoyer:

- 1 td and 6 picks over last 4 games

- Lowest QBR over 3 games of any starter this year, in this case his last 3 games

- 3+ qtrs against Bills: 3 points, 0 TDs, 2 picks

It was my poor sense of humor showing again.

JM looked good for a minute.

Then he woke up realized he had just been introduced to the NFL by Kyle Williams.

There was no football Math involved.

Meatball let him live another Day.