Hoyer Paranoia: A Tenuous Hold as Browns' Starting QB

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Right decision, IMO. Lots of mixed reaction. But until they are out of the playoff hunt, tough to throw a rookie in there.

In his press conf today pettine stated that the Bills had rotated out several starters, had a big lead and were in the prevent D when JM had his drive. He also said that he fumbled (even though it wasn't recorded that way). He said the Bills hadn't game planned for him at all either which likely led to his success on that drive. Ouch.

Right decision, IMO. Lots of mixed reaction. But until they are out of the playoff hunt, tough to throw a rookie in there.

In his press conf today pettine stated that the Bills had rotated out several starters, had a big lead and were in the prevent D when JM had his drive. He also said that he fumbled (even though it wasn't recorded that way). He said the Bills hadn't game planned for him at all either which likely led to his success on that drive. Ouch.

pretty much what anyone who actually watched the game already saw lol

Pettine is a refreshing glass of water. Somehow I get the impression he wasn't all in on the Johnny Football pick.

GO BILLS!!!

My opinion is that it's a bad move. Not a no brainer but there are a lot of things at play.

1] There is no way that Brian Hoyer leads them to a playoff win. IMO not a chance. There is a reasonable chance that they squeak by and get in the playoffs with him. I doubt it and would bet they miss out altogether.

2] In the next game they play, I imagine it's pretty close as to "who gives them the best chance to win." Hoyer is clearly better prepared but the Browns are not a good team. They are going to be without Austin and Barnidge. I would argue that Manziel gives them at least as good a chance to win as Hoyer does, and this is knowing that JF doesnt know the whole offense.

3] The only reason you play the game is to win it all. I understand the idea of trying to get in the playoffs were anything can happen. I understand the idea that it helps build the team's and the fans confidence. But the only way the Browns are going to do anything this year is if Johnny Football goes nuts. It's possible. I'm not predicting it, I'd bet against it, but it's possible. Brian Hoyer going nuts is impossible.

4] I think the coaches know they really aren't that good, although I'm sure they believe they have a chance to win. That's obvious. And that's why I think they are starting Hoyer. If JF stank up the joint, they could and would be second guessed. If Hoyer pulls off a miracle they will look like geniuses. If he doesn't, then they start Manziel the next week and pray for him to pull off the miracle.

If I were them, I would play Manziel this week. It's their only chance for a truly miracle season.

Says what they think of Johnny Football.

I dont think it says anything about Manzeil.

Hoyer has started all year and got the team to this point so this is the right call IMO but I do expect a short leash.

I dont see how switching to a rookie QB in December who hasnt played much as the better move.

I dont think it says anything about Manzeil.

Hoyer has started all year and got the team to this point so this is the right call IMO but I do expect a short leash.

I dont see how switching to a rookie QB in December who hasnt played much as the better move.

Because they won mostly against crappy teams, strange decisions, and lucky bounces, and if they keep playing exactly as they have over the last four, they will be lucky to win two of them and won't make the playoffs .

Edited by Kelly the Dog