Mitch Albom Commentary

They do need a new stadium, with a roof...and it was a waste of money to "renovate" their already outdated stadium.

Bills fans are the only people who think otherwise.

Umm guess you don't get it. Stadium wasn't the issue 6 feet of snow and closed roads were. As somebody already posted how would a dome handle that much snow!?

I will guess this was said on the "sports reporters". Those douchebags will eat each others kids to look like the smartest tool in the room for even a single show.

show is unwatchable!.. i have not watched it in years, is that whiney little j-off, lupica on there still?? he and albom are the epitome of the depths that sports journalism has sunk to.

Mitch Albom is a ****ty writer, but he's partially right. I can't seem to work up any outrage though.

Thank you for sharing a tiny piece of your infinite wisdom. I can't speak for everyone ... but I am forever grateful.

Have the haters actually read Albom's work? I can't say I'm a fan of his TV persona, but his novels are excellent.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say, "no ... they've not actually read any of his books." I agree that his novels are excellent. If they read the novels - especially "Tuesdays With Morrie," and "Have a Little Faith," they'd see that Albom is also very much of a down-to-earth, stand-up guy.

the 5 people i will meet in hell

Mitch should be one of them for writing those crappy books

excellent in a oprah book club way ?

Btw this is the first time in the history of the team that something like this happened.

50 years over 400 home games please

So you read them and didn't like them, correct? What didn't you like about "For One More Day?"

IDK what does making a stupid comment on a domed stadium and being a detroit native, have to do with him being a good novelist?

Nothing!

Is it because the S-hole known as Detroit has one? Big deal. Funny he didn't mention the dump once known as the silverdome, that could not hold snow on its laughable teflon roof. Maybe Mitch's next novel can explain that nightmare. The Lions "played" there until 01.

Makes one wonder how Ford field would hold up under 6 feet of snow? Please give us the engineering report on that next week Mitch!

Mitch probably should have kept his trap shut, and yes I have read one of his books. It was good.

Jeez your a john lennon fan and you fall for such over the top sentimentality of Mitch

Yeah. I also hate pickles but love hot dog relish. Problem?

IDK what does making a stupid comment on a domed stadium and being a detroit native, have to do with him being a good novelist?

Nothing!

Is it because the S-hole known as Detroit has one? Big deal. Funny he didn't mention the dump once known as the silverdome, that could not hold snow on its laughable teflon roof. Maybe Mitch's next novel can explain that nightmare. The Lions "played" there until 01.

Makes one wonder how Ford field would hold up under 6 feet of snow? Please give us the engineering report on that next week Mitch!

Mitch probably should have kept his trap shut, and yes I have read one of his books. It was good.

I'll preface this by making clear that I am not in favor of a dome ... or a retractable roof.

But how can't it be expected for people to opine that a dome would be good for the Bills? It makes sense for that to be thrown out there ... by a lot of people .. which it has.

So I don't understand the apparent shock from Albom saying it. Or anyone saying it, for that matter.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say, "no ... they've not actually read any of his books." I agree that his novels are excellent. If they read the novels - especially "Tuesdays With Morrie," and "Have a Little Faith," they'd see that Albom is also very much of a down-to-earth, stand-up guy.

I'm under the impression that Tuesdays with Morrie is a memoir. Novels are a particularly wide genre, but they don't include such. Seems a lot of kids are now referring to any published book as a novel. I wrote a dissertation partly dealing with the novel. If everything is a novel, what are we going to call what used to be understood as a novel?

Also, Albom appeals to a popular audience. Nothing necessarily wrong with that, so did Dickens, but I doubt he is actually a great novelist or an interesting prose stylist. Great novelists are people like Tolstoy, Dostoevsky, Jane Austen or Evelyn Waugh. Proust is a master stylist. Albom markets ordinary sentimentality in a way that people like.

In addition, he was wrong about the dome and went out of his way to be snippy at a time when people have died and families are scrambling to protect themselves and their homes. Maybe he should reread his own books.

Edited by Dr. Who

I'll preface this by making clear that I am not in favor of a dome ... or a retractable roof.

But how can't it be expected for people to opine that a dome would be good for the Bills? It makes sense for that to be thrown out there ... by a lot of people .. which it has.

So I don't understand the apparent shock from Albom saying it. Or anyone saying it, for that matter.

It's Mitch doing his "Captain Obvious" schtick, although his brilliant idea would have made this 100X worse because they'd be dealing with a collapsed roof too.

I'm under the impression that Tuesdays with Morrie is a memoir. Novels are a particularly wide genre, but they don't include such. Seems a lot of kids are now referring to any published book as a novel. I wrote a dissertation partly dealing with the novel. If everything is a novel, what are we going to call what used to be understood as a novel?

Also, Albom appeals to a popular audience. Nothing necessarily wrong with that, so did Dickens, but I doubt he is actually a great novelist or an interesting prose stylist. Great novelists are people like Tolstoy, Dostoevsky, Jane Austen or Evelyn Waugh. Proust is a master stylist. Albom markets ordinary sentimentality in a way that people like.

In addition, he was wrong about the dome and went out of his way to be snippy at a time when people have died and families are scrambling to protect themselves and their homes. Maybe he should reread his own books.

Yep. I'd consider Morrie a memoir. Others are novels, even though a couple are true stories.

I also said that I think his books are excellent; not to be confused with calling him a "great novelist."

I have found books to be easy reads that provoke thought, reflection and perspective. And two of them made me cry like a baby. So yeah ... I think he has written some excellent books - whether they're novels, biographies or memoirs.

Yep. I'd consider Morrie a memoir. Others are novels, even though a couple are true stories.

I also said that I think his books are excellent; not to be confused with calling him a "great novelist."

I have found books to be easy reads that provoke thought, reflection and perspective. And two of them made me cry like a baby. So yeah ... I think he has written some excellent books - whether they're novels, biographies or memoirs.

Not telling you what to like or not. The books may be quite good. I guess I'm an elitist snob. Most popular work of this kind irritates me.

Not telling you what to like or not. The books may be quite good. I guess I'm an elitist snob. Most popular work of this kind irritates me.

Oh, I didn't think you were telling me what to like. That would've been silly. And not liking this kind of stuff doesn't make you an elitist snob. It just makes you someone with a different opinion. No biggie.

I was OP, my issue was with him yucking it up for laughs (watch the video if you haven't) when the dome wasn't the issue the 6feet of snow and people dieing was. For what it's worth I think he's a great author that have been turned into great movies. I just hate to see a tragedy tuned into a yuck fest by the ass's at ESPN. Edited by Mike in Horseheads