you're favorite female vocalist.

Jim in Anchorage

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ugh, how could I have forgotten Aimee Mann & Zooey Deschanel???

Quick Aimee Mann story for you. My buddy is a HUGE fan. He went to see her at The Egg in Albany, NY (very small, intimate venue). She asks the crowd if they have any requests. My buddy yelled out (tongue in cheek joke) "Freebird!!" She had a chuckle, then called him up onto the stage. She said they didn't know Freebird, but they could get through Sweet Home Alabama ... and HE was going to stay on the stage and sing background vocals; which he did. Pretty cool/unforgettable experience for him.

Quick Aimee Mann story for you. My buddy is a HUGE fan. He went to see her at The Egg in Albany, NY (very small, intimate venue). She asks the crowd if they have any requests. My buddy yelled out (tongue in cheek joke) "Freebird!!" She had a chuckle, then called him up onto the stage. She said they didn't know Freebird, but they could get through Sweet Home Alabama ... and HE was going to stay on the stage and sing background vocals; which he did. Pretty cool/unforgettable experience for him.

I get that he was joking and this is an awesome story - but if I'm at a show and anyone yells free bird at any time I will immediately go punch them in the balls

i saw her a couple months ago with Ted Leo (The Both), she is a Richmond girl and I was gonna yell out something like Bon Air(the part of town she grew up in) but I didn't want to be 'one of those' people to yell out at a show, and i was only about 4 feet from her...but i agree with PaattMann....a swift punch in the nether regions is punishment for a 'free bird'...hell, foggy mountain breakdown is a better alternative

i saw her a couple months ago with Ted Leo (The Both), she is a Richmond girl and I was gonna yell out something like Bon Air(the part of town she grew up in) but I didn't want to be 'one of those' people to yell out at a show, and i was only about 4 feet from her...but i agree with PaattMann....a swift punch in the nether regions is punishment for a 'free bird'...hell, foggy mountain breakdown is a better alternative

Oh, I agree. But for anyone who's ever played in a bar band, it's just an ongoing joke. And my buddy said it as such. It worked out well for him; that's for sure! (side story: this guy is morbidly obese - like over 500 lbs. Many years ago, he was at a stand-up show and the "comedian" spent a good 20 minutes+ telling not-so-funny fat jokes at my buddy's expense. The Aimee Mann experience was a good way to help wipe that bad memory away)

I get that he was joking and this is an awesome story - but if I'm at a show and anyone yells free bird at any time I will immediately go punch them in the balls

I had a buddy who brought an honest-to-god spear on stage at a gig he played at and threatened to chuck it at anyone who requested Free Bird.

I like Shirley Manson too from Garbage. Karen O from the Yeah Yeah Yeahs is a favorite.

Was in love with Dolores O’Riordan from the Cranberries and her voice.

Kim Deal from the Pixies, and I like Bjork a lot.

Solo artist favorite is Kate Bush.

Edited by Security

Since you ask for vocalist (which implies the singer as well as the singer's voice), it's Whitney Houston.

If you asked for favorite female singing voice, it has to be Barbra Streisand. It's the talking that makes her unbearable.

That's an interesting point. If it's my all time favorite female who happens to be a vocalist I might go for 1989 Paula Abdul.

If I'm just judging voice without regard for the songs I'd have to give a nod to LeAnn Rimes.

Edited by Rob's House

I just saw him too, he played and it seemed like he didn't even realize there was an audience in the room with him, very impersonal, he was awesome musically but we were invisible to him...

I always kind of liked Edie Brickell too. I recently saw J. Mascis live and he does a version of that song "Circle" and it's pretty cool to hear that song again. He plays it pretty faithful to the original.

I just saw him too, he played and it seemed like he didn't even realize there was an audience in the room with him, very impersonal, he was awesome musically but we were invisible to him...

Yeah, he's just that way. He's kind of painfully self-conscious I think.

EDIT...

Hope Sandoval was another that haunted me for a while in the 90's. Really gorgeous and just the prettiest voice.

Edited by Cugalabanza

Since Cher has been included, obviously, singing ability is not a criterion! So, just for hot, sexy, and pretty damn talented (will ignore her last two horrid albums), how about Liz Phair? "Exile In Guyville" was one of my very favorite albums of the 90's.

I'd include Alanis Morrisett if she had died after Jagged Little Pill and before she came out with her boring, pseudo-intellectual, emotionally empty follow up.

I also liked Sarah McLaughlin for about 10 minutes in the 90s before buying an album and becoming completely disenchanted with her music. Trivializing herself with the pathetically ironic Lilith Fair made it hard to respect her anyway.

Edited by Rob's House

I also liked Sarah McLaughlin for about 10 minutes in the 90s before buying an album and becoming completely disenchanted with her music. Trivializing herself with the pathetically ironic Lilith Fair made it hard to respect her anyway.

Haha; me too. Bought one sarah McLaughlin CD and that was it.

That said, a buddy clued me in to her version of "blackbird" (the only Beatles song I like). It is way better than the original.

I am a big fan too (shocker :D )

Different genre, but I like Sara Barreleis.

Glad to see someone mention Sara Bareilles(even though you spelled her name wrong), I think she's great.

Her version of "Smile" on the Oscars was outstanding:

sarah bareilles is awesome...have we gotten this far without mentioning annie lennox? I doubt we did, but i glanced quickly

Glad to see someone mention Sara Bareilles(even though you spelled her name wrong), I think she's great.

Great version of that song.

She is great because she has that really smooth jazz voice, but a lot of versatility. Plus, she is a legit performer-- ie, her live stuff on YouTube is better than the recorded stuff.