How many losses until EJ plays again?

orton finishes the season. I see no reason to start EJ again this year outside of injury

Orton is not our problem, in fact he is a big reason why we have a winning record right now behind our defense

absolutely orton plays it out if healthy.

even if we are eliminated from the playoffs.

Edited by papazoid

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What is the magical record the team needs to have before they decide to put EJ back in as the starter to see if he has progressed any during his "practice" season on the bench?

I say if we reach loss number 6 during the next 4 weeks, they put him back in for remainder of season to finally decide if he has a future with the team.

Or do they officially wait until next preseason (Sans injury)?

Next season (Sans injury)...

I would probably rather see them play Orton the rest of the year.

3 of our last 4 games are guaranteed losses no matter who is QB.

I'd hate for EJ to take the blame for that from all the haters who already know that a 23yr old with 14 starts is a lost cause.

It will be fun to see what excuses the Orton nut huggers come up with to explain away his failures.

Think I agree with this, though we'll see Orton come up with a mysterious injury somewhere mid-December. Whaley wants to see EJ

play a few games.

What is the magical record the team needs to have before they decide to put EJ back in as the starter to see if he has progressed any during his "practice" season on the bench?

I say if we reach loss number 6 during the next 4 weeks, they put him back in for remainder of season to finally decide if he has a future with the team.

I could be wrong but I don't expect to see EJ back this season unless Orton gets hurt.

I just think the reason for his regression....not just a lack of improvement.....was mental and I think it might take him a few seasons of watching and observing before he can really help an NFL team.

While Orton was not perfect in the game, I felt he played well enough to win. It was obvious that Watkins was hampered by his groin injury as he wasn't the factor that he normally is during a game. Using Glass Goodwin over Mike Williams is a head scratcher, it even seems that way to Hackett as well. Seems like Marrone is upset at Williams for requesting a trade after he was benched, so he's taking it out on him. The Bills are the worst redzone team in the NFL and using Williams would help the Bills get out of the gutter in that category.

If we fall to below .500 or even to .500 then I can see the switch happening, or at least it should happen. One thing is clear right now, Orton is not playing well enough to lead us to the playoffs. Unless it changes, then we need to see if EJ has learned anything to suggest he might be able to be the guy for the future. EJ was not playing well enough either when he got benched, but he also seemed like he was playing to afraid or careful. Maybe seeing Orton rip it a little more and getting benched will get the training wheels off him and he can go out and make plays. I think this is why he played his best late in winnable games because he had no choice but to take chances. If he can play like that the rest of the game, maybe he won't be such a slow start guy anymore.

I am not advocating a switch now, but once the playoffs are a long shot, I think we need to make the switch and give the kid at least a few games to show what he can do so we know if we must draft another early. I would love to see Orton or EJ take hold of the job so we can focus on OL and TE next year early in the draft.

While Orton was not perfect in the game, I felt he played well enough to win. It was obvious that Watkins was hampered by his groin injury as he wasn't the factor that he normally is during a game. Using Glass Goodwin over Mike Williams is a head scratcher, it even seems that way to Hackett as well. Seems like Marrone is upset at Williams for requesting a trade after he was benched, so he's taking it out on him. The Bills are the worst redzone team in the NFL and using Williams would help the Bills get out of the gutter in that category.

He also played bad enough to lose...missed easy throws for TD's multiple times and made terrible throws late trying to come back.

And how many passes were dropped during the course of the game? Watkins, Woods, Smith, and Gragg all had catchable passes that were dropped. Granted, Orton had an off game, but then again, the play calling was horrendous. The Bills had four tries to get a first down to make it first and goal but Hackett blew it. The Bills were having success running the ball and Hackett calls for four pass plays to the end zone, instead of trying to get a first down, then have another four downs to score a TD.

i say as many as it takes for losman or edwards to play again.

that being said, i think 1 injury puts him back in immediately...its his job to earn if he pulls out a victory in relief. I dont see him ever being "good" but itd be a nice surprise if he went in and lit it up.

When EJ gives us the best chance to win, regardless of record.

By watching and learning from Orton. Although after last game...

Do you watch more than 1 game a week?

Do you watch more than 1 game a week?

Yes I do. And I was previously on the "Orton hasn't been with the team long and just needs more time." And then on that final drive, he misses several chances for TD's. Now I don't care about what happened earlier in the game, just like EJ bashers don't care what happened earlier in the Houston game to help lead to a loss. I want results, and if a 1-year vet who has now had enough time to digest the playbook and get some chemistry with his receivers, who had 2 weeks to prepare for a team, and was playing at home, can't lead a game-winning TD drive despite several chances that were clear on film, then he's not the answer. And 10 years in the league backs that up. We'll see how he does from here on out, but that KC game puts me more in the "he's regressing to his mean" than "it was just a 1-game yip."

Orton the remainder of the year, Marrone has made his choice....and he is right. Now, about next year and the various phases of camp....I expect to see another QB candidate....either a draftee......practice squad replacement for Tuel......or a vet if the gloss of off EJ.. and I certainly think it is. EJ, with a bad preseason, could be GONE!

Yes I do. And I was previously on the "Orton hasn't been with the team long and just needs more time." And then on that final drive, he misses several chances for TD's. Now I don't care about what happened earlier in the game, just like EJ bashers don't care what happened earlier in the Houston game to help lead to a loss. I want results, and if a 1-year vet who has now had enough time to digest the playbook and get some chemistry with his receivers, who had 2 weeks to prepare for a team, and was playing at home, can't lead a game-winning TD drive despite several chances that were clear on film, then he's not the answer. And 10 years in the league backs that up. We'll see how he does from here on out, but that KC game puts me more in the "he's regressing to his mean" than "it was just a 1-game yip."

i'm not claiming Orton had a great game, nor am I arguing that he is "the answer", but going by your stated criteria I'm not sure if there has ever been a QB who would be. If so you can count them on one hand.

Just to clarify: are we talking "loses" or "losses" here.

I feel like I don't know the premise of the original post.