Fitzy to the bench in Houston

YoloinOhio

Mallet is easy to root for if you're a Houston fan. He has one of the strongest arms and best releases I've ever seen. Of course that doesn't mean anything on game day, but couple it with the fact that he hasn't been proven bad yet and it's not surprising that the Texan fans want to see what he has over Fitz. His history in the league doesn't mean much as he was sitting behind one of the best to ever play for most of his career. At this point (from a fan's perspective), there's as much reason to believe he'll be the next Rogers as a failure.

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it is more they want to see what they have in Mallett being he is in a contract year. Fitz has been serviceable for them, but we all know he chokes under pressure. Good guy, solid backup, nothing more.

If you think the season is over, sure--put in a guy like Mallett. But there is no way he's suddenly going to turn your season around.

As I said above, FItz and Stafford have equivalent stats, yet the Lions are doing much better because of their D--less than 16 PPG allowed. The Houston D isn't comparable to Detroit's. The can't defend agaisnt the pass and they are in the bottom half against the run. They have forced turnovers, but their D isn't better than the Lions.

Fitz has his limitations, but the Texans aren't that good a team, but for a few guys.

Fitz being the biggest fraud we've had to stomach is not the same as him being the worst QB.

The reason I say he is the biggest FRAUD (not worst QB of these dismal 14 seasons) is that all of us who didn't believe in him were called "haters." Buddy and Chan stood up there and told us how wrong we were. Nice to see the passion and all but we just didn't understand football. Fitz was a winner, despite the results. "We've seen him do it!" Don't believe your lying eyes, trust US!

Then they signed him to that stupid contract and anointed him the "franchise QB." They REFUSED to bring in any viable competition at any point for him. He was treated like an established star QB, not a journeyman scrub who had never accomplished anything of note.

Once again, cold hard reality has come calling for those who inexplicably love Ryan Fitzpatrick. These are people who love losing as well, because that's what Fitz does.

Isn't it telling that the people who are still convinced that they were right about Fitzpatrick being good enough to win with mention stats? Fitzpatrick is the king of garbage time stats, and always has been. When the game matters he will have like 75 yards passing. Then once it's out of reach one of his prayers will be caught for a big gain and the final stats won't look so bad.

But his teams will still lose, because he cannot produce when it matters.

The reality is that Fitzpatrick has failed AGAIN in yet another place where he was given the starting gig with almost no real competition in camp. I will give him one thing: he is good at sticking around and finding teams to go to where he can start.

Fitzpatrick ended Chan Gailey's career. O'Brien was smart enough to pull the plug before it was too late.

But as far as him being any good? Scoreboard.

Edited by TheFunPolice

I wonder if Fitz supporters were also Loseman, Edwards, Holcomb, etc supporters?

Fitz's problem was not his arm it was his decision making in crucial times of the game. More times then not he made bad decisions when the game was on the line. His arm was mediocre, yes. But he is about as anti clutch as it gets. He just is not a 'gamer', much like Stevie was/is not one.

Holcomb no, Edwards no, Losman yes (sorry I was a teenager, we all do dumb stuff then)

Currently I really like EJ as a person, and really like his skill set. I liked the pick at the time as well. I think if he could put them together he could be a franchise QB. Right now the chances of that are 50/50 at best. He's won some games so chances are he'll be a pretty good backup.

So far Orton has made some plays that I have immediately thought, "wow EJ couldn't/wouldn't make that throw"

Fitzy? I was a fan, and similar to Orton, don't think he was ever the answer. The guy made our bad OL look passable with toughness and a quick release. Fitz is what he is, a journeyman and I wish him the best.

All in all, I think it's a pretty realistic outlook at our QB's.

I wonder if Fitz supporters were also Loseman, Edwards, Holcomb, etc supporters?

Fitz's problem was not his arm it was his decision making in crucial times of the game. More times then not he made bad decisions when the game was on the line. His arm was mediocre, yes. But he is about as anti clutch as it gets. He just is not a 'gamer', much like Stevie was/is not one.

Quite the opposite. I liked Fitz because he wasn't Edwards. Edwards never threw to his receivers; when Fitz came in and was chucking the ball to the receivers, sometimes (gasp) 15-20 yards downfield, I was enamored.

And you (rightly) say that Fitz was anti-clutch. But I liked Fitz because he was more clutch than the super anti-clutch JP Losman, who would lose games because he couldn't properly run out the clock.

For some reason, I thought this was hilarious!!

Actually, he developed Matt mcgloin into a decent QB. Beyond that, I can't recall-- but I know his rep was as a QB guru.

Lee also had a rep of being a QB 'guru'. How'd that turn out for every QB he has coached?

Holcomb: similar to Fitz, pretty smart, lacked NFL arm

Bledsoe: faded fast

Losman: good arm, not smart

Edwards: perhaps best of lot in terms of brains and arm until the KO against Cardinals

Fitz: see Holcomb

Truthfully it doesn't matter how you rank them. If someone can't get you to the post-season, they're all in the same category

Fitz is far smarter than Edwards and Holcomb and a heck of a lot tougher. If you don't believe me look at the college he went to ...it may be hard to find the answer thought :flirt:

Also, its not Fitz fault he got paid middling starter money for being a middling starter. People like to state he got a huge contract ... not really, maybe by Buffalo QB standards, but league standards, no. It is the FO problem for how they handle the way that money was allocated. The Cap management for the QB position of over the last 2 year has been ridiculous ... that is not on Fitz its on the FO. I find it funny how many are so concerned about the teams finances, he is an employee who negotiated a contract, it not your money why is that even mentioned?

As for him getting replaced by Mallett, I am sure all the Mallett lovers will make the same excuses for him that are being given for Fitz but he will get the benefit of the doubt because he has "Upside". When a team loses with Fitz its because he has no "upside" its his fault, when the team looses with someone with "upside" they need time and the team need work.

Not surprised about Johnson wanting Mallett, Hopkins is having a breakout year and is more in tune with Fitz.

With that said, Fitz is god awful dreadful, that team has stars in Foster, Johnson and Hopkins, and Fitz is undoubtedly the reason that team stinks, I can't believe teams bother giving him a chance to play. He is failure waiting to happen, he is Scary Movie XXXXX.

Play Mallett and take your lumps.

Mini-hubub down here about Mallett tweeting out something after the game Sunday that included something to the effect of:

#waitingtobecalled

Mallett promptly deleted it. Also there was word of Clowney liking some instagram photos of a female admirer, during the game.

I still can't believe we lost to those mofos.

I can name at 8 Bills starting QBs that were bigger duds.

Todd Collins

Alex Van Pelt

Vince Ferrigamo

Kelly Holcomb

Bruce Mathison

Gary Marangi

Joe Dufek

Dan Darragh

About Todd Collins. He lasted 15 years in the league....after Buffalo KC and the Redskins I think. Mostly backup, but started some games late in his career and did well. He was one that the Buffalo coaching ruined.......

Fitzpatrick ended Chan Gailey's career. O'Brien was smart enough to pull the plug before it was too late.

Fitz extended Gailey's career. He often made something out of nothing with Gailey's monotonous play calling. He was tough and smart. Just let too many ball sail...

Mini-hubub down here about Mallett tweeting out something after the game Sunday that included something to the effect of:

#waitingtobecalled

Mallett promptly deleted it. Also there was word of Clowney liking some instagram photos of a female admirer, during the game.

O'Brien is in way over his head. He's another Charlie Weis. In over his head. Putting Mallett in would be a typical move for a clueless college HC.

Fitz is the only Bill I can think of that I felt bad hating. He seems like a good guy. But man, did I hate the guy. Strictly for on field play, of course. You just knew that no matter how hard guys like Freddie played, Fitz would blow it somehow. At no point did I ever feel we had a shot at anything other than 8 wins.

Holcomb: similar to Fitz, pretty smart, lacked NFL arm

Bledsoe: faded fast

Losman: good arm, not smart

Edwards: perhaps best of lot in terms of brains and arm until the KO against Cardinals

Fitz: see Holcomb

Truthfully it doesn't matter how you rank them. If someone can't get you to the post-season, they're all in the same category

Bledsoe could get you to the post season. He didn't get us there, but then it is a team game.

You just summed up what all of the fans of Orton's teams think of him.

Fitz is limited but he is not the problem with that team. It's amazing how much hype Mallett gets.

You mean other than Orton can hit a WR 40+ yards downfield in stride instead of having the ball end up 5 yards behind him and turn into a jump ball like Fitz throws?

That he's not Fitz.

Halfway, Andre Johnson is #10 in the league, 48 receptions for 563 yds - on track for 1000+ yd season. The guys ahead of him have QB named Rodgers, Manning, Luck, Brady, Roethlisberger, oh yeah and Romo, Stafford, and Ryan throwing to them. So basically he wants a guy named Rodgers, Manning, Luck, or Brady throwing to him.

How is Mallett gonna help him out there?

Fitz's job with the Texans is to hand off the ball to Arian Foster and throw enough to keep the opponent's defense honest. One game I saw, the Texans OL was brutal, like a prison yard. The color commentators were wincing after a while.

Mallett does a fine imitation of a statue, how's that gonna work?

Bledsoe could get you to the post season. He didn't get us there, but then it is a team game.

Before us yes, with us no. The one time we needed to win our last game against steelers 3rd stringers to make it he laid an egg, and that was pretty much all she wrote. And I realize its a team game, but I wreckon that any team built around QB's like luck, Brady, manning, big Ben, Rodgers and maybe a few others will find themselves in post season most of the time. Teams built around fitz, edwards, Holcomb, etc .... errr not so much, maybe not all. I think pretty much every coach and GM would agred with this.

Edited by JTSP