Jim Kelly has Staph Infection

Donald Duck

This is a fairly serious infection considering he's immunosupressed. While I agree it's MRSA, it's not likely the variety that pervades locker rooms (community acquired), but rather hospital-acquired, which tends to be more virulent. He'll need IV antibiotics for 1-2 months, but should kick this.

Edited by Saint Doug

For my 50th birthday this year, the Universe gave me a staph infection on my scrotum. (That's right, my SCROTUM!!!) It was awful. It ended up taking about five weeks to get rid of, and the potent antibiotics I was on was like eating poison twice daily. It took about three months before I felt like myself again.

Of course, what JK has is quite a bit more serious-- certainly life threatening, and the antibiotics are going to kick his ass. My thoughts are with him.

Tough stuff. These are the things I treat all the time, and they can be very tough when they get into the bone. Often they don't cause tremendous discomfort (unlike scrotal MRSA, good heavens), but it's very hard to eliminate infections once they get into the bone, even with antibiotics. Usually it requires surgery to debride the infected bone as well. He'll try a two month course of antibiotics and see how it goes, and hopefully we don't hear about it again.

For my 50th birthday this year, the Universe gave me a staph infection on my scrotum. (That's right, my SCROTUM!!!) It was awful. It ended up taking about five weeks to get rid of, and the potent antibiotics I was on was like eating poison twice daily. It took about three months before I felt like myself

Prayers and best wishes for Jimbo. And of course, we're all happy your scrotum has bounced back. My son was shot in a car jacking attempt a couple months ago. The bullet went through his arm, then his leg then.... guess where it lodged. You got it! The urologist wanted to leave it there for fear of complications. He later changed his mind and now catching a flight is much simpler.

All good thoughts for Jim and his family and friends.