Jim Kelly has Staph Infection

Donald Duck

I couldn't quite tell from JK's quote about the biopsies what if anything they found? Is that how the determined he had MRSA? In his jaw/sinus? My aunt went into ECMC with a relatively benign situation and they took her out in a box two months later after she caught MRSA - that stuff is bad....JK will prevail.

What operation did Jim have after the September biopsies?

I didn't see any specifics, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was a debridement of the infected bone.

Bacterial likes to live in dead (necrotic) bone. Dead bone no longer has a blood supply, so antibiotics can't get into it. Debridement is basically the physical removal of the dead bone.

Well doesn't that sound just horrible. The man has been through enough already...

Bacterial likes to live in dead (necrotic) bone. Dead bone no longer has a blood supply, so antibiotics can't get into it. Debridement is basically the physical removal of the dead bone.

Yep. Basically it's like scraping away the dead bone back to where it's healthy with a blood supply.

Bacteria also enjoy healthy, well perfused tissue--staph in particular. Even healthy bone is poorly perfused, hence the need for many weeks of IV antibiotics.

I don't see a report of Jim having any surgical debridement.

Bacteria also enjoy healthy, well perfused tissue--staph in particular. Even healthy bone is poorly perfused, hence the need for many weeks of IV antibiotics.

I don't see a report of Jim having any surgical debridement.

I linked to it above. It was in that thread. It was posted by Donald Duck. Now Donald Duck's post is gone and so is my reply to him.............Why the hell would that be?????

It was in the Miami Herald I believe - on Thursday.

:wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash:

I found the article.

Kelly said he then underwent surgery “to shave some of the bone down so the biopsies can heal over.”

http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/college/acc/university-of-miami/article3485154.html

I linked to it above. It was in that thread. It was posted by Donald Duck. Now Donald Duck's post is gone and so is my reply to him.............Why the hell would that be?????

You mean this post?

http://forums.twobillsdrive.com/topic/172722-jim-kelly-has-staph-infection/#entry3319849

I found the article.

Kelly said he then underwent surgery “to shave some of the bone down so the biopsies can heal over.”

http://www.miamihera...cle3485154.html

Read more here: http://www.miamihera...l#storylink=cpy

Thanks-read that. Seems like that was related to helping the biopsy sites heal--before the MRSA was found.

You moved it, right?

Thanks-read that. Seems like that was related to helping the biopsy sites heal--before the MRSA was found.

The way I'm reading it, the MRSA was found first:

“I came down with MRSA,” he said. “I was cleared in September of the cancer — I have another MRI in two weeks. The toughest part for me was I was almost ready to take out my feeding tube, I was feeling good and they said they need to do some biopsies. Those 12 biopsies put me back so far.”

You moved it, right?

The way I'm reading it, the MRSA was found first:

“I came down with MRSA,” he said. “I was cleared in September of the cancer — I have another MRI in two weeks. The toughest part for me was I was almost ready to take out my feeding tube, I was feeling good and they said they need to do some biopsies. Those 12 biopsies put me back so far.”

Read more here: http://www.miamihera...l#storylink=cpy

You might be right.

The problem is that if there is exposed bone in his mouth, it will never heal. Needs soft tissue coverage. He may need more surgery, like a tissue flap.