A Few Thoughts About The Game, in no particular order.....

This was a big win against a hated division rival, and i loved watching big mouth Rex lose it on the sidelines. Just think he used to have a team that went to the AFC Championship game 2x times. Sadly, if the Jets fired Mangini after a 9-7 season then Rex should be gone after this year.

It was really great to see the Bills not play down to a bad team on the road like they have in the past.

It was humorous watching lil TJ Graham try and get revenge against the Bills by blocking a Bill player into the stadium wall. All I could think of was "You mad bro" :lol:

I love Kyle Orton, and because he is elevating the offense all on his own shoulders its making the scrub coaches look good. Unfortunately this coaching staff will get another year, and that means another year of Hackett :sick:

Really true. Thanks for putting it into perspective.

I hate bitching so much about this game. It's amazing the Jets were favored in this game. We let Geno be Geno. We crushed an AFCE opponent on the road. We have a QB that throws NFL passes. This was fun.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Joe B's take on Bradham: (voted his least valuable player)

Bradham’s mental errors

- The start to Nigel Bradham’s season couldn’t have gone much better. He was the fast, aggressive linebacker the Bills were looking for without the injured Kiko Alonso. The past two weeks, though, Bradham has struggled to maintain the same form and it was especially evident against the New York Jets. Bradham was missing tackles, taking improper angles and allowing yardage to happen on the perimeter once again. To exacerbate all those problems, the linebacker took three separate personal foul calls that put the Bills in poor positions on the field. Marrone said after the game that he couldn’t repeat exactly what he said to Bradham about all the penalties, insinuating that it wouldn’t be appropriate for public consumption. It's safe to assume Marrone's message largely circled around the 'be smarter' principle. The third-year pro is a better player than what he has exhibited each of the last two weeks and they’ll need him to be a huge piece of the puzzle in the second half of the season.

He has been a good player but his mind seemed elsewhere in the first half today. He made some tackles but he also didn't carry out his assignments and took some really stupid penalties that could have been significant if the Jets weren't intent on self destructing in both halves.

Still I am thrilled they won. Any road divisional win is a good thing and it is nice to see the jets in disarray.

Edited by norton20

Lee Smith: TD catch was a really nice play. He threw a cut block at one of the Jets, stayed down for a moment, then got up and walked into the end zone and waited for the ball. Nice.

Reminded me of the Butch Rolle play the Bills used so successfully back in the good old days.

Orton has a 104 QB rating now after four games.

It's so much more than the rating. Yes, I want him to get rid of the ball and avoid some of those sacks, but I guess we just have to accept that. But I said it before his first start with the Bills and I'll say it again -- you watch his film and it's clear he's a professional. Not only is he putting our receivers in position to make plays, he's also showing EJ what being an NFL QB means. If anyone has any hope for Manuel, it's crucial that he is soaking all of this in for the next time he gets an opportunity.

In the meantime, the players on that team realize they have a QB who can help them win football games.

I love his game, but he cost the Bills points today. In a different game that might be a bigger issue. He's got to play with some control.

Yes, fantastic game by the entire secondary.

Completely agree. He may have had 10 tackles, but he also took four completely unnecessary penalties and took a terrible angle to the ball on three separate occasions, resulting in long gains for the Jets. If I'm the DC, he owes me this week in practice.

It was a really weird game. Defensively, it just looked like the Bills knew what plays the Jets were running. I can't describe it any other way - they seemed to know the passing routes and the run blocking schemes as they were happening. When Vick came in he was able to improvise a bit and that took away the advantage of knowing the Jets' playbook, but the Bills adjusted in the second half by - it looked to me at least - changing their pressure scheme so that they squeezed Vick's pocket without letting him break contain as much.

Offensively, I still just don't understand what they're trying to do. Their run blocking approach appears to be "stand up straight and push", and the result is that the Bills' blockers just form a closely-spaced wall that their RBs smash into for 2 yards a pop. I've never seen anything like it at the pro level (although college teams do a lot of it) and I'm not sure what it accomplishes.

That said, the Jets entire backfield (LBs, safeties and corners) is under-skilled and not all that interested in tackling, so they don't look the least bit competitive once you make it past the first level of their defense.

Basically what I'm saying is it was a very abnormal-looking game to me, and I couldn't fully process what was going on because it all looked so bizarre. I'll take the W though. The outcome is huge - this is a Bills team that wins road games, which is a hugely refreshing change.

It's so much more than the rating. Yes, I want him to get rid of the ball and avoid some of those sacks, but I guess we just have to accept that. But I said it before his first start with the Bills and I'll say it again -- you watch his film and it's clear he's a professional. Not only is he putting our receivers in position to make plays, he's also showing EJ what being an NFL QB means. If anyone has any hope for Manuel, it's crucial that he is soaking all of this in for the next time he gets an opportunity.

In the meantime, the players on that team realize they have a QB who can help them win football games.

Agreed. And if watching the body language of a player on the sidelines is any indication (it probably isn't) then EJ has a decent shot I think. He usually looks to be very involved in the game while on the sidelines. OTOH, Geno looked to be sulking and paying little attention. I understand that he just got pulled from the game, but it was an interesting juxtaposition.

It was a really weird game. Defensively, it just looked like the Bills knew what plays the Jets were running. I can't describe it any other way - they seemed to know the passing routes and the run blocking schemes as they were happening. When Vick came in he was able to improvise a bit and that took away the advantage of knowing the Jets' playbook, but the Bills adjusted in the second half by - it looked to me at least - changing their pressure scheme so that they squeezed Vick's pocket without letting him break contain as much.

Offensively, I still just don't understand what they're trying to do. Their run blocking approach appears to be "stand up straight and push", and the result is that the Bills' blockers just form a closely-spaced wall that their RBs smash into for 2 yards a pop. I've never seen anything like it at the pro level (although college teams do a lot of it) and I'm not sure what it accomplishes.

That said, the Jets entire backfield (LBs, safeties and corners) is under-skilled and not all that interested in tackling, so they don't look the least bit competitive once you make it past the first level of their defense.

Basically what I'm saying is it was a very abnormal-looking game to me, and I couldn't fully process what was going on because it all looked so bizarre. I'll take the W though. The outcome is huge - this is a Bills team that wins road games, which is a hugely refreshing change.

Yup. Just bizarre and confounding.

I hate bitching so much about this game. It's amazing the Jets were favored in this game. We let Geno be Geno. We crushed an AFCE opponent on the road. We have a QB that throws NFL passes. This was fun.

Yup. Bitched a lot, yet had a lot of fun. Strange stuff.

Very true in the 2nd half. They had given up by that point. But remember the guy who caught Sammy when he was showboating? He was certainly interested, at least at that point in the game.

Yup, all W's are good to be sure. IMO the game wasn't as much bizarre as just very poorly played by both offenses, obviously more so by the Jests.

Edited by CodeMonkey

Bradham missed three key tackles in the first half: one against Vick in which Vick converted a long third down to keep a drive alive; one against Percy Harvin in the backfield in which he took a bad angle and in which Harvin converted a long third down by getting to the Bills 7; and a missed tackle on an Ivory td run to make it 24-14 (bad angle again). He also cost the Bills 3 probable points with his taunting penalty, and his hit to the head of Vick also led to a first down that resulted in points. He did not have a good game regardless of all the tackles. Hopefully he learns from the 3 personal fouls he accumulated. He's a pretty good player (although a little stiff) but he can be better.

Stats aside, I thought Bradham had a brutal game. 3 personal foul penalties, a false start on offense, and most of Vick's scramble yards in 2nd qtr came at Bradham's expense. Not his best day.

They didn't even show his taunting penalty, what was it? Maybe it was as insignificant as Vick tossing the ball straight to the ground......(Maybe the Vick taunting thing was a payback for a stupid call on Bradham?)

It's why having 3 QBs on the roster who were all so inexperienced was a big mistake last year. Who exactly were they supposed to learn from? The rookie OC?

Edited by MDH

Same here. Maybe I just hate the Jets too much. Maybe my expectations for this team are higher than normal. But, I was sure they were trying to lose when we squandered one opportunity after another (all due to piss poor play calling, IMO), then went 3 and out before the half. Only to allow them enough time to get the long FG. Then start the 3rd, 3 and out again.

I'm ecstatic we won. I guess I just wish I had an inkling of confidence in our offensive coaching.

I had a similar feeling. It looked like classic Jauron era "playing not to lose" rather than trying to put the game away.

One thing I noticed that nobody has commented on is how we matched the Jets in terms of physical play, at least on defense. That has not been the case over the past several years as the Jets always seemed much more physical. The defense beat the crap out of the Jets offensive players yesterday.

The QB coach.

There was no QB coach last year. Even if there was there is no better mentor than somebody who has done it before. They needed to bring in somebody last year to give a veteran presence in the meeting room, the film room and on the sideline. Everybody on this board seems to have given up on EJ but I think the best thing that has happened to this kid is Kyle Orton. I don't know if EJ will ever be a good QB but being around Orton will make him better.

17 of them.....

Bottom line in this game was that the best QB won. Orton didn't turn the ball over. Geno and Vick can't find or don't even know where their first option is. One of the worst QB performances I've ever witnessed and that is saying something being a Bills fan.

When the announcers were saying they can't remember a QB having such a rough start to a game I immediately thought of Trent's 3 picks in the first 4 possessions vs the Clowns on MNF at the Ralph in 2009 or whenever it was.

When the announcers were saying they can't remember a QB having such a rough start to a game I immediately thought of Trent's 3 picks in the first 4 possessions vs the Clowns on MNF at the Ralph in 2009 or whenever it was.

I'll take you back farther...home vs. Cincy (also on a Monday night) thirteen years ago. Kelly threw three picks in the first quarter but the Bills only trailed 3-0. He then threw five TDs and they won in a laugher.

It's why having 3 QBs on the roster who were all so inexperienced was a big mistake last year. Who exactly were they supposed to learn from? The rookie OC?

No, Kevin Kolb. Remember him? He was going to be so good that Marrone didn't feel the need to hire a QB coach.

Don't you ever stop? It must be horrible to be so miserable after your team wins because it was the wrong QB.

another mouth heard from.

I was surprised when I saw the stat today. If you can't handle the truth ....... well that's your problem.

It doesn't matter who the QB is when the total passes by the Bills offense was 17, and NOT to mention only 2 rushing 1st downs on 32 total rushes

if you believe that output will win the division and a playoff game

shame on you Jim

Edited by BillsFan-4-Ever

I'll let Watkin's move pass...this time. That trade up i looking better every week. The better we do, the less likely the pick the Browns get will be a gamechanger. Plus, I think we need to go guard or TE, which you can get with a nice second round pick

it's not "Watkin's" ......FYI

I'll let Watkin's move pass...this time. That trade up i looking better every week. The better we do, the less likely the pick the Browns get will be a gamechanger. Plus, I think we need to go guard or TE, which you can get with a nice second round pick

That's what we said this year and got Kujo and then Cyrus....How many OL do you pick with high round draft picks?

The story of this game begins and ends with the offensive coaching. There was great play all over the field, and at times, it looked like Marrone and/or Hackett were purposefully trying to lose. I've never seen a coaching staff continually beating their collective heads against a wall like today. They were trying to do something that just wasn't working... playing to the Jets strength and exposing our weakness.

If not for an amazing defensive effort, the season would be all but over. We won today, but for most of the game it felt like we were losing. Such a frustrating game!

completely understand where you're coming from Dan. However, I didn't feel we were losing but just trying to give the game away. I said this in a previous post. Hackett will cost us when it's all said and done.

There was no QB coach last year. Even if there was there is no better mentor than somebody who has done it before. They needed to bring in somebody last year to give a veteran presence in the meeting room, the film room and on the sideline. Everybody on this board seems to have given up on EJ but I think the best thing that has happened to this kid is Kyle Orton. I don't know if EJ will ever be a good QB but being around Orton will make him better.

I was making a joke. The team's approach to the QB position last year was beyond baffling.

I agree with you on EJ, by the way. It seems like he's taken a good attitude and approach to the whole thing, too.

I agree with you on EJ, by the way. It seems like he's taken a good attitude and approach to the whole thing, too.

It's what you'd expect based on what we've seen of this young man. He's hard not to like and I hope he can grow into the job. Accuracy seems to be a tough thing to learn though.