A Few Thoughts About The Game, in no particular order.....

another thought on Bill's point on Manuel. I thought it was a good sign that when spiller was injured it was Manuel and I think Woods who were there with him. Doesn't make him a better player but I think that helps with leadership.

I THINK Frank Summers came over for a second too.

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm sorry Bill - I just cannot fathom how anyone can be down on Jim Schwartz. Without him as DC this team is 1-6 in my honest opinion. Were there a few big 3rd down completions that you don't like to see? Sure - but the Vikings were 5/16 in the game on 3rd down, they had two drives of any substance all game (the touchdown and the 4th Qtr FG following the back to back sacks). The Bills defense is 4th in the NFL on 3rd down (actually joint 3rd with Kansas City).

I think sometimes you just gotta accept that the guys on the other side are not without talent and they are trying to make plays to win a game too. The Bills defense is legit, despite consistently being relied upon to keep us in the game because our offense is a mess.

Good point about the other team making plays too.

Edited by dave mcbride

Did anyone key in on Mario Williams? I didn't hear his name as much as Hughes or Dareus, which is fine by me.

I am just looking for any educated and honest opinions on what he had going on today?

He seems to hold down his side of the fort solely without letting others have to assist.

You are smartly on the mark with your observations.

He was attracting attention that allowed Dareus and Hughes to defeat their one on one battles. Although he was getting sacks he consistently had good pressure. On a couple of plays that I keyed on him he was blatantly getting held. He's also trying to be more responsible in he run game. So instead of full throttle going forward he is holding his containment. You can compare that more mature approach to Hughes who almost always goes full throttle to the qb making his side of the line vulnerable to gashing runs. I'm not criticizing Hughes. He is playing to his asset of speed and accepting the vulnerabilities that go with.

Edited by JohnC

Not sure I have seen a more poorly played game by 2 teams in a long time. It was simply painful to watch. The only good things I can say about it are that it is over, and the Bills ended up with the "W". Awarding two "L"'s would have been more fitting for that game though.

Not sure I have seen a more poorly played game by 2 teams in a long time. It was simply painful to watch. The only good things I can say about it are that it is over, and the Bills ended up with the "W". Awarding two "L"'s would have been more fitting for that game though.

This isn't college football. A win is a win, no style points necassary. If this team has any thought of the playoffs they need to win their next 5 games. I don't think they will be able to do it but you never know. They are all winnable but the only game I see as a sure win is the jets at home. Next week will be tough. The jets usually cause all kind of problems when we play them there.

This isn't college football. A win is a win, no style points necassary. If this team has any thought of the playoffs they need to win their next 5 games. I don't think they will be able to do it but you never know. They are all winnable but the only game I see as a sure win is the jets at home. Next week will be tough. The jets usually cause all kind of problems when we play them there.

i understand football does not award style points :) But watching that game yesterday, did you think either team looked like playoff contenders? I certainly did not. They both sucked. The Bills managed to gut out a win which actually is worth a few style points, but only after the Vikings sucked so bad as to give up a first down on a 4th and 20. Just a horrifically played game IMO.

Did anyone key in on Mario Williams? I didn't hear his name as much as Hughes or Dareus, which is fine by me.

I am just looking for any educated and honest opinions on what he had going on today?

He seems to hold down his side of the fort solely without letting others have to assist.

They were stunting him quite a bit to the inside, Dareus or other DT would rush to the outside of his man, and Mario would rush up field and then cut under the DT towards the a gaps and rush from there - it was largely ineffective and Mario had his sack when he bull rushed and then cut under his own guy and got his big ass mitt on teddy

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/200910110buf.htm

Every now and then I reflect upon how I listened to that entire GD game on the radio, and still am amazed that a Bills team with Marshawn Lynch and Terrel Owens, playing a Browns team who QB went 2-17 on a sunny fall day, managed to lose that game that way. The Magic of Dick Jauron, Ladies and Gentlemen!

And Hogan was wide open on the Sammy touchdown, running a slant from the right.

Not sure Orton could have got it through the D-line, but Hogan was wide open and had the goal line.

check out Robert Woods on the same play, wide open in the middle of the end zone

Probably just me, but when Sammy grabbed that game winning TD I was sure the clock should have run out. I silently thought to myself if that had been incomplete they wouldn't have left a second on the clock giving us another shot. Just some silly musings as I soak up the win!

I thought the same thing but you know what, it was at home & I think the clock operator was thinking if they review & rule his foot was out or something like that they wanted 1 more tick on the clock to run another play. I think that is why the clock operator left 1 second left.

I'm sorry Bill - I just cannot fathom how anyone can be down on Jim Schwartz. Without him as DC this team is 1-6 in my honest opinion. Were there a few big 3rd down completions that you don't like to see? Sure - but the Vikings were 5/16 in the game on 3rd down, they had two drives of any substance all game (the touchdown and the 4th Qtr FG following the back to back sacks). The Bills defense is 4th in the NFL on 3rd down (actually joint 3rd with Kansas City).

Schwartz is a modern day Jauron imo.

Brady is not young. When he gets hit, it hurts more. The guy can pick apart zones all day. This is what he does. He got hit a couple of times and they should have blitzed more often. You cannot beat Brady sitting back.

Yesterday we faced a qb making his first start on the road. There is no way he should have had time to complete those 3rd and long plays.

The rule changes gave the qbs the middle of the field. This is a huge difference. I like the Rex Ryan/Pettine system of pressure. Now, we have lbs who are better vs. the run. I hope that they send players like Robey, Searcy, etc. after Geno Smith. There is no reason not to.

So it is a personal stylistic preference.... but to argue with his results thus far is a nonsense. He is getting the defense off the field on 3rd down more often than Pettine was, he is giving up fewer points than Pettine was and we still lead the league in sacks. I think you are allowing your stylistic preference colour your view of how he is performing.

EDIT: And on Brady my point stands that go back and watch the tape of the opening game last season. Pettine sent pressure on that final Patriots drive and Brady still sat back there and converted 3rd and longs. Sometimes the players on the other side make plays.

EDIT2: As ever though enjoyed your post and agree with many of your other points. I suppose we just see defense differently.

Edited by GunnerBill

Schwartz is a modern day Jauron imo.

Brady is not young. When he gets hit, it hurts more. The guy can pick apart zones all day. This is what he does. He got hit a couple of times and they should have blitzed more often. You cannot beat Brady sitting back.

Yesterday we faced a qb making his first start on the road. There is no way he should have had time to complete those 3rd and long plays.

Bridgewater fared much better against the blitz than against the three man rush. Dude was 7 for 9 against the blitz, according to PFF.

Not sure why we're complaining about the pass D when they gave up like 150 yards on the day.

So it is a personal stylistic preference.... but to argue with his results thus far is a nonsense. He is getting the defense off the field on 3rd down more often than Pettine was, he is giving up fewer points than Pettine was and we still lead the league in sacks. I think you are allowing your stylistic preference colour your view of how he is performing.

EDIT: And on Brady my point stands that go back and watch the tape of the opening game last season. Pettine sent pressure on that final Patriots drive and Brady still sat back there and converted 3rd and longs. Sometimes the players on the other side make plays.

EDIT2: As ever though enjoyed your post and agree with many of your other points. I suppose we just see defense differently.

Thanks for this post. Dialogue such as this is why I have been here for so long.

I do ask you to consider the fact that Brady is of course older than he was last year. It's rough to get up from a sack, whether it's from a 340 lb. Dareus or a high speed human missile defensive back. It's that much worse when you get old.

Again, wrs and qbs now own the middle. Do you remember what happened to receivers when they went to the middle? Players such as Tatum, Lott, Atwater, etc. would flat out destroy them. Now, defenders are fined 100K and more for what used to be legal. So yes, imo the way to go is pressure.

Geno Smith is shaky but not void of talent. If the Bills can pressure him and get to him he will cough it up and throw picks. I hope this is what we see on Sunday. You are correct, this is the defense that I prefer.

Once again, thanks for the dialogue.

GO BILLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by Bill from NYC

The Bills have 6 CB's-4 safeties on the roster, and apparently none can cover TE Rob Gronkowski like the Chiefs did in week four against the Patriots. The Bills have a better defense in almost every statistic then the Chiefs, and yet they couldn't contain Brady or even slow down his passing. At some point it would be nice to be able to hire a DC that can find a way to stifle Brady, and throughout the years that has shown to be almost impossible by so many teams.

The Bills clearly had no answer to cover Gronkowski, and because of that it opened up their offense for the other receivers. The Bills shut down the Patriots run game, and it didn't matter at all because the Brady picked them apart for 13 first downs, and 4 TD's. The Patriots were also helped by the Refs, and stupid Bills players to the tune of 5 first downs by penalties.

The Bills just rushing their front four let Fitz back into the game at Houston enough to win it for them. Then not blitzing enough almost cost them games against both Detroit & Minnesota, and it did cost them games against the Chargers, Patriots IMO.

While Schwartz might have one of the best run stopping defenses in the league (5th) with his wide nine defense, what good is it if its a "passing league" and you have the 27th ranked pass defense? Kinda funny how Schwartz leaves Detroit, and now with almost the same players they have the #1 team in total defense, and were #16 last year.

Personally I hate the just rush with the front four tactic, and loved watching Pettine run his blitzes. This defense reminds me of the frustration that Dave Wannstedt caused with his non blitzing schemes. The Bills could maybe get away with that if they ran the ball 40 times a game, and kept the defense on the bench. So that the starting front four, and secondary weren't worn down, and panting like dogs by the fourth quarter. JMO

First of all I am not talking about Schwartz as a Head Coach and whilst it is true that they were largely running his defense in Detroit, Gunter Cunningham was calling the plays. To even begin to compare Schwartz to Wannstedt is ludicrous to my mind. We still lead the NFL in sacks for goodness sake. Wannstedt didn't jsut rush 4 - he called the same rush pretty much every play. Schwartz's scheme is a lot more complex than that, they are using Mario in different ways and the scheme is freeing big Dareus up nicely to get to the QB on a regular basis.

If the question is did Schwartz call a perfect game against New England I would guess that even he would say no. But he is getting superb results with this Bills team to my mind. But I think too many fans believe more pressure on the Quarterback is the answer to everything and I am not sure it is. As has already been pointed out, for example, the stats suggest Bridgewater did better when faced with the blitz than when the Bills just rushed four.

Sometimes your opponents will make plays - welcome to the NFL. It is parity. Every team has some talent on the offensive side of the ball, even the likes of the Jags and the Raiders and sometimes the right play call will result in giving up yardage just because a talented guys makes a good catch or breaks 3 tackles for a big run. So you have to park individual play calls and look at the overall results of the defense.

As for being 27th agaisnt the pass - I think that is an old number and we are ranked higher against the pass after this week. In addition, because our run D is 4th in the NFL and joint first in YPA allowing just 3.2 per rushing attempt teams are being forced to throw against us. In terms of passing yards per attempt given up we are 19th. Can that get better? Sure. Is it disastrous? No... and it is contributing to a defence that is 8th overall in points per game allowed, 1st in sacks as mentioned above, joint 3rd in interceptions, and 4th in getting off the field on 3rd down.

This defense is for real. I know a lot of fans prefer to watch the exciting blitzing style but I can only presume the criticism of Schwartz by those fans is, at least in part, ideological. Because he is getting results and the defense is consistently giving a spluttering offense the chance to win games.

First of all I am not talking about Schwartz as a Head Coach and whilst it is true that they were largely running his defense in Detroit, Gunter Cunningham was calling the plays. To even begin to compare Schwartz to Wannstedt is ludicrous to my mind. We still lead the NFL in sacks for goodness sake. Wannstedt didn't jsut rush 4 - he called the same rush pretty much every play. Schwartz's scheme is a lot more complex than that, they are using Mario in different ways and the scheme is freeing big Dareus up nicely to get to the QB on a regular basis.

Schwartz's scheme isn't why Dareus is playing well. Dareus is double teamed most of the time and still making plays. It isn't because of some awesome scheme they are putting him in. It is because Dareus is having the type of year he showed potential to have way back when he was in college.

If the question is did Schwartz call a perfect game against New England I would guess that even he would say no. But he is getting superb results with this Bills team to my mind. But I think too many fans believe more pressure on the Quarterback is the answer to everything and I am not sure it is. As has already been pointed out, for example, the stats suggest Bridgewater did better when faced with the blitz than when the Bills just rushed four.

You mention the New England game in one sentence and in the very next sentence say that Schwartz is getting superb results. I think you forgot how the Patriots could have sent their punter on a beer run during the entire second half of the Bills game.

As the Patriots and Charges games showed, this Bills team will get destroyed by a good quarterback, which in my opinion is because Schwartz doesn't bring enough pressure on them especially in obvious passing situations.

Quarterback pressure isn't the answer to everything, but it is the answer to beating teams with elite quarterbacks. You have to get them to throw the ball earlier than they want to. You can't let them sit back and take their time.

Unless Schwartz finds a way to get pressure on good quarterbacks, the Bills will be incapable of beating a playoff caliber team. And they won't be able to win the AFC East.

I think I'm just starting to come back to earth after that big win... Its crazy the emotion of thinking the season (playoff hopes) is basically over to 1 minute later celebrating a dramatic win.

It is so fun to have a rookie receiver like Sammy that can dominate the game. Orton is a great pure passer, its great to think about about good he can be if we can protect him for even just a second or two longer. Our D line DOMINATES.

Exciting season so far, lets go into the Meadowlands and win a tough divisional game and grab a top 6 AFC spot by the throat. Go Bills!

As the Patriots and Charges games showed, this Bills team will get destroyed by a good quarterback, which in my opinion is because Schwartz doesn't bring enough pressure on them especially in obvious passing situations.

Quarterback pressure isn't the answer to everything, but it is the answer to beating teams with elite quarterbacks. You have to get them to throw the ball earlier than they want to. You can't let them sit back and take their time.

I don't think it is as simple as that. As I said, Pettine tried blitzing Brady on 3rd and long in the final drive last year in the home opener and he still found his man. The key to beating the top Quarterbacks is not just sending more and more pressure. What makes these guys the best is that they diagnose what they are seein quickly. You send more pressure and are predictable in doing it they will find safety valves and you will be exposed at the second level. The way you beat the top guys is confuse them. That is what the Chiefs for example did to Brady. He didn't know what he was looking at and that is why he made mistakes. They weren't blitzing constantly.

I don't think it is as simple as that. As I said, Pettine tried blitzing Brady on 3rd and long in the final drive last year in the home opener and he still found his man. The key to beating the top Quarterbacks is not just sending more and more pressure. What makes these guys the best is that they diagnose what they are seein quickly. You send more pressure and are predictable in doing it they will find safety valves and you will be exposed at the second level. The way you beat the top guys is confuse them. That is what the Chiefs for example did to Brady. He didn't know what he was looking at and that is why he made mistakes. They weren't blitzing constantly.

I agree with you for the most part except when in 3rd and long passing situations. I say you blitz in that situation every time, changing the way in which you do it each time. Schwartz usually won't blitz even in that situation. He will let Brady sit back and wait for a man to come open.

Also, if you don't let guys like Brady take their time, then you take away the number of opportunities they have to throw the long ball. And those long balls result in big plays for them a lot of the time between completions and drawn flags.

I say, bring more pressure, make them execute short passes under duress.

Schwartz continues to piss me off with the 3 man rushes.

I thought it was going to cost us the game on that 3rd and 18 for that 25 plus pass play.

That play really ticked me off. We were sitting there watching the safeties line up literally 21 yards off the line of scrimmage and backing up at the snap. The Bills gave them that first down.

I agree with you for the most part except when in 3rd and long passing situations. I say you blitz in that situation every time, changing the way in which you do it each time. Schwartz usually won't blitz even in that situation. He will let Brady sit back and wait for a man to come open.

Also, if you don't let guys like Brady take their time, then you take away the number of opportunities they have to throw the long ball. And those long balls result in big plays for them a lot of the time between completions and drawn flags.

I say, bring more pressure, make them execute short passes under duress.

The one area that the Patriots have actually had difficulty this year is with completing deep passes whether or not Brady has been pressured. So again you look at tendencies and success rates in putting together your game plan. I said above I doubt Schwartz thinks he called the perfect game against New England, but I think he called a pretty good one against San Diego actually - the offense was to blame for that loss.

Nice job, as usual Bill.

My thoughts. I gave Marrone and Hackett the benefit of the doubt for all of last year, and for the first four or so games this year, because there were plays to be made that were not made by the players. The last three games they both sucked terribly. It's inexcusable for them to be doing the things they are doing with the players we have. They are ruining this offense, despite the win.

The defense was frustrating for sure, but they did what they had to do, gave up 17 points when we had 4-5 turnovers and a crappy offense. I will give them a pass because we won. Terrible tackling though, far too many third and longs given up.

Hughes and Dareus were monsters. I think we have to re-sign Hughes despite the money devoted to the rest of the DL.

Bradham is going to be a very good player.

Chandler made up for his drop but that was a helluva pass.

We're going to have to live with Orton. The difference of being a veteran is easily seen but he is just terrible under a strong rush. I place a lot of that blame however on Hackett and Marrone for several reasons. He made the plays when we needed him to though.

I've said it a hundred times but this is 101. This is why you make the Watkins trade. He's a star. If anything he's being under-used.

Lee Smith should not be on the field. Hogan made a huge play but he shouldn't be playing either.

On board 100% with keeping Lee Smith off the field, but why stop there. How about off the team and out of Buffalo? As for Hogan, I disagree as strongly. He's the type of player every team needs. Selfless, hardworking, willing and able to do some dirty work on ST, pretty good hands, good routes.......and he has decent size. He's the kind of player who only gets better the more he's used.

Lee Smith is playing because the O line is so bad. If the line could do its job we'd be seeing a lot more of Gragg. And why shouldn't Hogan be playing? He's really emerged since Orton took over -- quite frankly, he's doing Robert Woods's job better than Woods.

Woods is being mis-used terribly by Hacket and Marone. Watkins and then Woods are our best receivers. Give Woods a route instead of two yard slants and dumps that may get him killed.

It was a frustrating win, but nonetheless a win

- Our OC is ridicules, just so predictably wrong on so many things . . . one back, run him to death, just stupid

- Even though Orton throws picks, I still like his moxy, and in two of three games he has pulled it out when it was do-or-die

- I saw EJ as well, and I was very proud of him. He'll be back.

- Have we seen our last CJ Spiller run as a Buffalo Bill? And fittingly, after frustrating us all year, he finally bounces one outside and it is his longest run of the year.

- Chandler looks like a different player with a Professional QB throwing his way.

- Hogan has replaced Mike Williams, and I'm not sure Williams was that bad, but Hogan just continues to improve.

- Well Bryce Brown, now we'll see what you have

- If we can cut down on the turnovers, we can compete for the division crown

- Did Urbik do something to Marrone's wife?

One back and run him to death? What about his conditioning. For crying out loud, what did Dixon have but 12-13 carries? Sorry but Dixon claims he wants to be the guy, well being dead on your feet after 10 carries isn't going to get the job done. I like Dixon, but......

Slot guys need to have that combination of athleticism and toughness or to fight off being jammed at the line. So far that's what I like about Hogan. He's got enough size and strength (I don't think Woods does) to get into those seams, and enough athleticism to turn it up field every now and then. Not saying he's great, but a reliable slot guy is critical, particularly with a struggling run game.

Hogan is better than most of us thought. The coaches to their credit saw this early. He is big, strong, & FAST - very fast. Did I forget - he has good hands.

Sometimes your opponents will make plays - welcome to the NFL. It is parity. Every team has some talent on the offensive side of the ball, even the likes of the Jags and the Raiders and sometimes the right play call will result in giving up yardage just because a talented guys makes a good catch or breaks 3 tackles for a big run. So you have to park individual play calls and look at the overall results of the defense.

As for being 27th agaisnt the pass - I think that is an old number and we are ranked higher against the pass after this week. In addition, because our run D is 4th in the NFL and joint first in YPA allowing just 3.2 per rushing attempt teams are being forced to throw against us. In terms of passing yards per attempt given up we are 19th. Can that get better? Sure. Is it disastrous? No... and it is contributing to a defence that is 8th overall in points per game allowed, 1st in sacks as mentioned above, joint 3rd in interceptions, and 4th in getting off the field on 3rd down.

This defense is for real. I know a lot of fans prefer to watch the exciting blitzing style but I can only presume the criticism of Schwartz by those fans is, at least in part, ideological. Because he is getting results and the defense is consistently giving a spluttering offense the chance to win games.

The Lions ran Schwartz's "wide 9" defense in Detroit in 2013, and with not so great results, as they were 15th in points allowed, 16th in yards allowed. Now with basically the exact same players the Lions this year are #2 in points allowed, #1 in yards allowed. This year the Lions are in 4th place for sacks, and tied for 3rd with Buffalo in INT's. Quite a drastic improvement from what I see as last year the Lions were 28th in sacks with 33, 17th in INTs with 15.

This year the Bills are currently 11th in total defense, 19th in pass defense, 11th in run defense. #1 in sacks with 24, #3 in INTs, #2 in tackles.

The funny thing is that this year the Bills sack leader is Marcel Dareus with 7 sacks, Hughes & Williams each with 5. Last year it was Super Mario with 13, Kyle Williams with 10.5, Jerry Hughes with 10.0, Marcel Dareus with 7.5. So, it wasn't like Pettine was sending a LBer, Safety every other play.

The frustration I am talking about was so clearly evident against Houston in letting Ryan Fitzpatrick back into the game in the second half by not getting enough pressure on him. The same can be said against the Chargers, and even more so against the Patriots in knowing their O line was very suspect. We all saw what Brady looked like at KC & Miami when he was rattled, and under a lot of pressure. While Mario & Hughes did each manage a sack on Brady I think most of us were expecting to see a rush like the one the Patriots had for Orton, and the 5 sacks on him.

2 sacks against Chicago*

4 sacks against Miami*

2 sacks against San Diego

3 sacks against Houston

6 sacks against Detroit*

2 sacks against New England

5 sacks against Minnesota*

The teams with an asterisk are wins, and you can see a direct correlation that wins seem to come with more sacks. Besides that Schwartz had absolutely no answer for TE Rob Gronkowski, so he had coverage's slide to cover Gronk,and because of that Brady was able to light up the bills D with 4 TD's to other receivers. Those other receivers were the unexpected kind to the 2nd string & 4th string WR's, 3rd string TE.

Bottom line: I know I would like to see more pressure on the QB then rushing just the front four all game, and when those front four don't get to the QB the result is the secondary getting ripped a new one. The Bills might have two top 11 draft picks at CB, but they don't play like it at times. I loved Schwartz the first few games, and now I like him less, and less after watching QB's getting so much time in the pocket to complete passes. I shudder to think what Peyton Manning is going to do to Buffalo in Denver.

Schwartz's scheme isn't why Dareus is playing well. Dareus is double teamed most of the time and still making plays. It isn't because of some awesome scheme they are putting him in. It is because Dareus is having the type of year he showed potential to have way back when he was in college.

You mention the New England game in one sentence and in the very next sentence say that Schwartz is getting superb results. I think you forgot how the Patriots could have sent their punter on a beer run during the entire second half of the Bills game.

Unless Schwartz finds a way to get pressure on good quarterbacks, the Bills will be incapable of beating a playoff caliber team. And they won't be able to win the AFC East.

What he said.

On board 100% with keeping Lee Smith off the field, but why stop there. How about off the team and out of Buffalo? As for Hogan, I disagree as strongly. He's the type of player every team needs. Selfless, hardworking, willing and able to do some dirty work on ST, pretty good hands, good routes.......and he has decent size. He's the kind of player who only gets better the more he's used.

Woods is being mis-used terribly by Hacket and Marone. Watkins and then Woods are our best receivers. Give Woods a route instead of two yard slants and dumps that may get him killed.

One back and run him to death? What about his conditioning. For crying out loud, what did Dixon have but 12-13 carries? Sorry but Dixon claims he wants to be the guy, well being dead on your feet after 10 carries isn't going to get the job done. I like Dixon, but......

I tend to agree with this. Dixon was running effectively. It's not like he got 10 carries in a row, it was like 4-5 then one passing play where he split out. He's not the 33 year old or the constantly winded CJ. I bet he's on the treadmill all week.

I tend to agree with this. Dixon was running effectively. It's not like he got 10 carries in a row, it was like 4-5 then one passing play where he split out. He's not the 33 year old or the constantly winded CJ. I bet he's on the treadmill all week.

I forgot the play but he looked exhausted one time trying to pass block after carrying a couple times in a row.

I forgot the play but he looked exhausted one time trying to pass block after carrying a couple times in a row.

I'm sure he did. But you know, he claimed SF never gave him a fair shot, and he was too gassed to play 5 snaps in the second half after only playing ST in the first? That's kinda weak, no?

I'm sure he did. But you know, he claimed SF never gave him a fair shot, and he was too gassed to play 5 snaps in the second half after only playing ST in the first? That's kinda weak, no?

It is. You hear it all the time about "being in football shape" or "game shape" in the NHL or NBA. It's hard to simulate the battering your body gets. But yeah, that shouldn't be the case for a guy who plays a lot of ST and knows he has to be ready should injuries occur. He was also in the game plan before the injuries I think.

It is. You hear it all the time about "being in football shape" or "game shape" in the NHL or NBA. It's hard to simulate the battering your body gets. But yeah, that shouldn't be the case for a guy who plays a lot of ST and knows he has to be ready should injuries occur. He was also in the game plan before the injuries I think.

I bet St. Doug was not happy.

> In terms of passing yards per attempt given up we are 19th.

Passing yards per attempt is the right stat to use. 19th place is a little below average. Pass defense is about three to four times as important as run defense. (By this I mean that according to a regression analysis by the New York Times, a 1 SD improvement in pass defense will produce three to four times as large an improvement in winning percentage as would a 1 SD improvement in run defense.)

I agree that blitzing more on passing downs isn't always the answer. Brady thrives on getting rid of the ball quickly. First and foremost, the defense needs to take away his ability to go to his quick reads, even if it means dropping seven or eight guys into coverage. I agree with you that the key to stopping the Patriots' offensive juggernaut is to confuse Brady and take away his targets. That was Schwartz's job--a job at which he utterly failed in the second half of the Patriots game.

Schwartz needs to do a much, much better job than that against other good passing teams. Otherwise, this defense will be like the Gregggg Williams/Jerry Gray defense we once had: awesome at beating up weak offenses, but relatively worthless against teams like the Patriots.

I have said repeatedly he didn't call a great game against the Patriots.... but I don't think that is because he didn't blitz every 3rd down and nor do I think it undermines what has been a very solid first (almost) half a season in the DC role. He is the best coaching hire this team has made in a very long time to my mind and I think the numbers back that up. Anyone who thinks we would have have 4 wins if this defense had been operating (both in design and execution) anything other than very well is deluding themselves.

EDIT: none of which means there isn't still room for improvement!

Edited by GunnerBill

I have said repeatedly he didn't call a great game against the Patriots.... but I don't think that is because he didn't blitz every 3rd down and nor do I think it undermines what has been a very solid first (almost) half a season in the DC role. He is the best coaching hire this team has made in a very long time to my mind and I think the numbers back that up. Anyone who thinks we would have have 4 wins if this defense had been operating (both in design and execution) anything other than very well is deluding themselves.

EDIT: none of which means there isn't still room for improvement!

> I have said repeatedly he didn't call a great game against the Patriots.... but I don't think that is because he didn't blitz every 3rd down

On this we agree. (More below.)

> nor do I think it undermines what has been a very solid first (almost) half a season in the DC role.

The litmus test for this defense isn't how it looks against struggling offenses, such as the Dolphins or Lions or Vikings. Its litmus test is how it looks against teams with good passing attacks, like the Chargers or the Patriots. The Bills' defense hasn't faced many offenses like that thus far this season. The (relatively rare) games against teams with good passing offenses constitute far more meaningful indicators of where this defense stands than do games against the likes of Tannehill.

The fact the defense--including the defensive coaching staff--did poorly against the Patriots doesn't mean we should expect equally poor performance every time we face a good passing offense. We haven't yet faced enough good passing offenses to know what kind of pattern to expect from Schwartz.

During the Patriots-Giants Super Bowls, the Giants revealed a very good method of stopping Brady and the Patriots' passing attack. They'd rush three guys, while dropping eight back into coverage. Those guys would play tight coverage. It's not like they were denying Brady the 20 yard route while letting him have the five yard route. No. They were denying him the 20 yard route and the five yard route. A defense like that was akin to throwing a thick, soaking wet blanket over a campfire. It smothered the Patriots' offense.

Against the Patriots, the Bills defense wasn't like that at all. There wasn't much blitzing, so in that sense the philosophy was similar to that employed by the Giants. But the Bills' defenders were handing out larger cushions than a Brobdingnagian sofa factory. If you only rush three or four guys, and make little effort to deny the offense shorter passing opportunities, you basically have a prevent defense. :angry: Off the top of my head, I can't think of any defense which would be worse to use against the Patriots than that.

During the Patriots-Giants Super Bowls, the Giants revealed a very good method of stopping Brady and the Patriots' passing attack. They'd rush three guys, while dropping eight back into coverage. Those guys would play tight coverage. It's not like they were denying Brady the 20 yard route while letting him have the five yard route. No. They were denying him the 20 yard route and the five yard route. A defense like that was akin to throwing a thick, soaking wet blanket over a campfire. It smothered the Patriots' offense.

I think your memory of that Superbowl might be a bit off the mark. The Giants did blitz Brady. They pressured him often throughout the game and sacked him 5 times. You don't sack Brady 5 times in a game rushing 3 guys all the time, especially that year.

They pressured him a lot but my memory is they got it done with their front 4 a lot. I think there is a place for blitzing Brady but I think you have to use them against him sparingly and intelligently. The intention should always be to confuse him. As Orton's Arm identifies if Brady knows you are going to be blitzing and he is picking them up he gets the ball out quickly and his safety valves hurt you at the second level - be that his slot guy, be it his running backs or be it his tight ends.

I think wehave played 2 very good offences so far. I thought Schwartz did a decent job vs San Diego and a less good job vs New England. But in the recent past our defense has been susceptible against anyone.... good or bad. Don't tell me you have forgotten us making Brandon Wheedon look somewhat competent on TNF last season?