UB Fires Head Football Coach Jeff Quinn

Why don't you? Only WEO would tell a school that produced Khalil Mack and Bo Oliver to do that.

And CB Josh Thomas was just signed by the Jets.

So what? Div II and III players get drafted too. What's your point--that the team should continue with their futility in Div I because of a few guys get drafted?

How about they drop back to the FCS instead?

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So what? Div II and III players get drafted too. What's your point--that the team should continue with their futility in Div I because of a few guys get drafted?

How about they drop back to the FCS instead?

They do? Which ones, pray tell? But you're right, WEO. Any school that produced the #5 pick in the NFL draft should just give up. :doh:

They do? Which ones, pray tell? But you're right, WEO. Any school that produced the #5 pick in the NFL draft should just give up. :doh:

Our own beloved London Fletcher, for one--heck some don't even need to be drafted...Fred Jackson, for instance.

Anyway, because one kid gets drafted (way to high) has nothing to do with the fact that the program doesn't belong in the FBS. They have had 2 winning seasons in the 16 years that they have been in the FBS. It's a failed experiment if ever there was one. What's the point?

Your argument makes no sense. Should a school like Miss. Valley Sate have moved up to Div I-A simply because they produced Jerry Rice and Deacon Jones? No, they did not--and they are still I-AA.

Our own beloved London Fletcher, for one--heck some don't even need to be drafted...Fred Jackson, for instance.

Anyway, because one kid gets drafted (way to high) has nothing to do with the fact that the program doesn't belong in the FBS. They have had 2 winning seasons in the 16 years that they have been in the FBS. It's a failed experiment if ever there was one. What's the point?

Your argument makes no sense. Should a school like Miss. Valley Sate have moved up to Div I-A simply because they produced Jerry Rice and Deacon Jones? No, they did not--and they are still I-AA.

Do you ever have anything to say that doesn't denigrate WNY?

Do you ever have anything to say that doesn't denigrate WNY?

Denigrate WNY??

This from the guy who never misses the chance to drill Bills fans for imagined inadequacies? You've had a break with reality. I simply stated the obvious--the UB jump to the FBS has been a disaster and they should drop down. You come back with "but they produced a top 5 pick!"---apropos of nothing.

Edited by Mr. WEO

Denigrate WNY??

This from the guy who never misses the chance to drill Bills fans for imagined inadequacies? You've had a break with reality. I simply stated the obvious--the UB jump to the FBS has been a disaster and they should drop down. You come back with "but they produced a top 5 pick!"---apropos of nothing.

PTR drives from New Hampshire to go to every Bills home game. He's about as hardcore as it gets.

And yes, it's kinda crazy to suggest UB drop a level in football because of a bad start this year. Oliver has produced back to back 100 yard games and Mack is up for defensive rookie of the year. It is a growing program. The next head coach will be a big hire.

PTR drives from New Hampshire to go to every Bills home game. He's about as hardcore as it gets.

And yes, it's kinda crazy to suggest UB drop a level in football because of a bad start this year. Oliver has produced back to back 100 yard games and Mack is up for defensive rookie of the year. It is a growing program. The next head coach will be a big hire.

Bad start this year? how about 14 out of 16 years?

I'm not questioning PTR's fandom. But it's no secret that he dumps on fans as a whole all the time.

Bad start this year? how about 14 out of 16 years?

I'm not questioning PTR's fandom. But it's no secret that he dumps on fans as a whole all the time.

Luckily Tony Romo and Dez Bryant shook off the fans bashing them on Twitter. Apparently that affects their play immensely.

All right....I stand corrected on the basketball team which I was more critical than they deserve. But my comments on the AD, football, lacrosse and hockey, I'll stand behind. You have hockey rinks right across from North campus, and lacrosse can be played on the football field. In the meantime, it's football football football. If they want to rebuild the football program, start with that crap stadium. Ok...I feel better now. :)

It's football, football, football, because that and hoops, but especially football bring in the money in college athletics. Hockey, even in college is a niche sport. The people who love it love it and appreciate it. But I don't think most people care. Random people will watch a college football game or march madness. I don't think NCAA hockey or lacrosse can say the same. The biggest state school in NY should have a viable, money making football program. Get that and the other sports you mentioned will follow because they'll be able to afford it. Now if Pegula is feeling benevolent maybe that hockey program could come sooner. And yeah, they could use a new stadium, but more than that they could use WNY to actually show up and support. That would help the atmosphere.

Denigrate WNY??

No, they shouldn't drop back down. They should keep building. And that's just what they'll try to do. Too much money in football to not do that. Especially at a school of its size.

Edited by purple haze

UB should focus more on academics than sports. Just my opinion.

UB is already a very good school academically and great in some areas like medicine. Trying to increase their status as a sports school can only help to serve UB well in the future.

What kind of competitive D1 hockey program can you run when your home rink the the Pepsi Center? Do it half-ass now or give it time and do it right. And yes that stadium is Soviet-era horrible.

Time to go to the Harbor center

It didn't surprise me after Saturday. They seemed clueless about stopping EMU's option attack. After Army had beaten them down with it, one would think it would have been prepared. His level of coach speak was over the top too. That said, UB has been a tough place to recruit to. I suspect it has to be a real shock to the players. I hope they get the next hire right.

Time for Pegula to make some donations

It's football, football, football, because that and hoops, but especially football bring in the money in college athletics. Hockey, even in college is a niche sport. The people who love it love it and appreciate it. But I don't think most people care. Random people will watch a college football game or march madness. I don't think NCAA hockey or lacrosse can say the same. The biggest state school in NY should have a viable, money making football program. Get that and the other sports you mentioned will follow because they'll be able to afford it. Now if Pegula is feeling benevolent maybe that hockey program could come sooner. And yeah, they could use a new stadium, but more than that they could use WNY to actually show up and support. That would help the atmosphere.

No, they shouldn't drop back down. They should keep building. And that's just what they'll try to do. Too much money in football to not do that. Especially at a school of its size.

Build a stadium that is football friendly(not one that has a running track around it, and has end zone bleachers miles from the field), and that would be a good start towards getting more people there.

Their biggest problem is getting the students to go. You have 30,000 students who at least some of can get in for free, yet the majority stay home. They could fill that half-ass stadium all by themselves.

Edited by LabattBlue

That stadium is a noose around the program.

I love college football. I like the MAC. I would love to go. That stadium is the worst venue I have ever been witness to for any sport... and that includes the St Petes dome for hockey. You literally feel like you are a mile from the game, even in the "best" seats. Its just not enjoyable. I would go often if the venue was not awful.