UB Fires Head Football Coach Jeff Quinn

I'm sure that top FCS teams/schools don't feel irrelevant. I bet most UB students would take a FCS championship over a laughingstock.

You think schools like Appalachian State, North Dakota St., Towson, McNeese St...and all of the Ivies feel "irrelevant"?

yes they are irrelevant 100 percent...I dont care how they FEEL, they are...they are irrelevant in exposure and in money being in the FCS...noboddyyyy caresss about FCS...they can pat themselves on the backs all they want for their "success" playing against nobodies, but simply put, they.dont.matter.

if I was a UB student I would care even less about football as an FCS school than as a division 1 program

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It makes a lot of sense. But not to a guy who is happy to be a doormat.

not happy to be a doormat, happy to keep trying though rather than giving up

would they automatically be a good FCS team?

great point....most of the midlevel recruits they are getting would probably bail because they dont want to play JV football, and other division 1 schools would give them those looks/scholarships....

so UB would be left with regional JUCO talent, sweet...lol

yes they are irrelevant 100 percent...I dont care how they FEEL, they are...they are irrelevant in exposure and in money being in the FCS...noboddyyyy caresss about FCS...they can pat themselves on the backs all they want for their "success" playing against nobodies, but simply put, they.dont.matter.

if I was a UB student I would care even less about football as an FCS school than as a division 1 program

How has all that exposure and money worked out over the past 16 years since the Bulls made the jump?

Also, FCS is Div 1......

A UB student might not know that, I guess.

would they automatically be a good FCS team?

See, now that's the thing. These guys probably figure it's better to hang out where you can't compete (and hope a miracle happens) then to be put with your appropraite peer group and fail at that level as well.

Edited by Mr. WEO

It just takes the right guy with a couple seasons of sustained success. These guys who were here last season were a product of Turner Gill's last season.

did you know Branden Oliver is Roscoe's cousin?

Anyways, you just need the right guy here and try to make him want to stay, and if he leaves, dont replace him with a clown-coach

It just takes the right guy with a couple seasons of sustained success. These guys who were here last season were a product of Turner Gill's last season.

did you know Branden Oliver is Roscoe's cousin?

Anyways, you just need the right guy here and try to make him want to stay, and if he leaves, dont replace him with a clown-coach

Gills' last season was 2009--how long are these players in college at UB?? The whole team was seniors?

Gill had one winning season.

How has all that exposure and money worked out over the past 16 years since the Bulls made the jump?

As usual, WEO, you spout off without doing your homework.

http://www.bizjourna...-espn-deal.html

http://espn.go.com/c...dia-rights-deal

http://www.buffalo.e...014/09/020.html

...The success of the new game day experience led to a record-breaking attendance for UB football last year, with an average paid attendance of 22,736 — 2,000 more than any other school in the MAC...

Sounds like a school that needs to throw in the towel and drop back down to D3, huh WEO?

Edited by PromoTheRobot

They cleaned up their mess. http://www.buffalone...tation-20140225

Maybe, but that stain doesn't wash away easily. Such a suspension of basic programs is almost unprecedented. The faculty was the problem. That can't get better suddenly--not for real.

As usual, WEO, you spout off without doing your homework.

http://www.bizjourna...-espn-deal.html

http://espn.go.com/c...dia-rights-deal

http://www.buffalo.e...014/09/020.html

[/size]

Sounds like a school that needs to throw in the towel and drop back down to D3, huh WEO?

Wow, a school with nearly 30,000 students "shattered" it's own abysmal attendance record (they were 4th worst FBS in attendance a few years ago) by averaging 22+k per game a year ago. Still, it can't come close to selling out it's 29k stadium.

But they are now "king of the MAC" in attendance. That would sound much less impressive if you included that the MAC has the worst attendance in the FBS, by far. The whole MAC should be relegated.

Anyway, dropping to FCS is still Div I (you UB grads are struggling with this nomenclature). But if you are content with UB serving as a tomato can for top tier FBS schools non-conference schedules, I guess you have exactly what you want.

What kind of competitive D1 hockey program can you run when your home rink the the Pepsi Center? Do it half-ass now or give it time and do it right. And yes that stadium is Soviet-era horrible.

Hey PTR we never got to compare notes on Licata. But I will have you know I was at the very first game at that stadium. And everyone after that. I got to see Craig Guest there. I got to see Gerald Carlsons all time long there. The Roosevelt catch... Its sentimental lol. It is basic though

Hey PTR we never got to compare notes on Licata. But I will have you know I was at the very first game at that stadium. And everyone after that. I got to see Craig Guest there. I got to see Gerald Carlsons all time long there. The Roosevelt catch... Its sentimental lol. It is basic though

I have some good memories there too but I also have memories of freezing my tuchus off on those cement and aluminum benches during those Tuesday night ESPN games in November, and desperately trying to stave off frostbite in the bathroom, the only place with heat in the entire stadium. I can't think of anything better than Pegula building a domed stadium downtown and letting UB play there. Any student wanting to see a game can bus to South Campus and take the Metro Rail, or the school can bus them.

As for Licata I think Quinn got the boot because they don't want to waste his last two seasons. S[eaking of the Temple Hail Mary...

Edited by PromoTheRobot

"The whole MAC should be relegated" - lol what a joke WEO is - I'm done even responding after that asinine comment

And you can consider FCS division 1 still all you want, since they technically are, but that won't sway any mid level or above recruit to your irrelevant school when an ACTUAL division 1 (you know, FBS, what actually matters) schools are calling and offering

And PTR - way to school this clown in his own arguments

So now we want to lop off the MAC?

So I guess by that logic, we should eliminate Conference USA, the Sun Belt, Mountain West, maybe the American and Army and Navy?

There is a place for that. The day College football walls itself off into the 4 conferences is the day I lose a lot of interest.

While we are at it, we should also eliminate Iowa State, Vanderbilt, Purdue, Illinois, Kansas, Colorado, and Indiana.

Its college football. There are good programs and bad programs, just like "sports". It is always possible to build a program.

So now we want to lop off the MAC?

So I guess by that logic, we should eliminate Conference USA, the Sun Belt, Mountain West, maybe the American and Army and Navy?

There is a place for that. The day College football walls itself off into the 4 conferences is the day I lose a lot of interest.

While we are at it, we should also eliminate Iowa State, Vanderbilt, Purdue, Illinois, Kansas, Colorado, and Indiana.

Its college football. There are good programs and bad programs, just like "sports". It is always possible to build a program.

Please stop using logic and reason - it has no place in this discussion - it's obvious the solution is "UB (and the whole MAC - regardless of the amount of quality nfl stars that have come from the conference) sucks so drop them all down to intramural sports"

"The whole MAC should be relegated" - lol what a joke WEO is - I'm done even responding after that asinine comment

And you can consider FCS division 1 still all you want, since they technically are, but that won't sway any mid level or above recruit to your irrelevant school when an ACTUAL division 1 (you know, FBS, what actually matters) schools are calling and offering

And PTR - way to school this clown in his own arguments

How have 16 years as an "ACTUAL division 1" school worked out for recruiting all of those mid-level or above recruits? They have had 2 winning seasons. Dropping the names of a few guys who played in the NFL doesn't change the argument. Actual Div II and III teams can claim the same.

But lest's look at the recruits (per ESPN):

In 2014, 21 commits, 2 3stars, 1 2 star

In 2013, 18 commits: 3 2 stars

In 2012 20 recruits: 3 3 stars and 11 2 stars.

In 2011, 21 recruits, 3 3stars, 5 2 stars.

In 2010, 20 recruits 2 3 stars, 5 2 stars

So, out of 100 recruits committed, 13 were 3 stars prospects. That's 13% "mid-level" and none "above".

As for "the whole MAC should br relegated" I guess I was being a bit facetious. But technically the majority of them do not meet a basic requirement to join or remain in the FBS:

"Average at least 15,000 in actual or paid attendance for all home football contests over a rolling two-year period. [bylaw 20.9.7.3]"

In most years, at least half the MAC schools cannot meet this most basic requirement of membership.

What's the point of having so many teams in the FBS?

Just found this regarding raising the requirement for membership in FBS.

http://www.sbnation....tball-teams-fbs

Still, there's plenty of room for teams to get in where they actually fit in, rather than merrily toiling in conference cellars for an eensy bit more money and some Wednesday night attention.

There's good news, and there's bad news. The good news is we still have a MAC. The bad news is the entire thing is in FCS now. Despite the internet popularity of Tuesday night football (which makes the MAC kind of like bourbon), no MAC school topped the attendance threshold, though Toledo and Ohio came very close. I'm sorry.

Until 2013, the Bulls had only 4 games of over 20,000 attendance over the previous 5 years.

And a couple of guys who don't know what Div I is shouldn't be patting each ohter onthe backs about "schooling" others...

Edited by Mr. WEO

you are just affirming how terrible Quinn was running the program. They are hoping to find someone better. Its called improving.

I dont get why people dont like having "too many teams" in FBS? Are they bothering people? Personally, I really like that aspect.

Edited by May Day 10

you are just affirming how terrible Quinn was running the program. They are hoping to find someone better. Its called improving.

I dont get why people dont like having "too many teams" in FBS? Are they bothering people? Personally, I really like that aspect.

Has Quinn been running the program since 1999? Of course they are hoping for someone better.

As for too many schools, why have any separation at all? Why not let them all be "actual Div I schools" and eliminate the FBS/FCS distinction. That would be a problem for the MAC, as it would allow the top Conferences even more (and perhaps cheaper) teams to chose from for a pre conference-schedule, late Summer tune-up/beat down.

For all those blasting the FCS, or the level of athlete, plenty of mid level recruits prefer FCS over FBS because of playing time.

I am a huge Richmond fan(ST holder), love the games, and believe the MAC and the Top 20 FCS teams are comparable.

That does not mean i believe UB should move, don't have a dog in that fight.

But for PaatMaan to declare they are irrelevant is just short sighted...Gameday does not go to irrelevant places two years in a row.

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2014/09/espn-college-gameday-signs-ndsu

For all those blasting the FCS, or the level of athlete, plenty of mid level recruits prefer FCS over FBS because of playing time.

I am a huge Richmond fan(ST holder), love the games, and believe the MAC and the Top 20 FCS teams are comparable.

That does not mean i believe UB should move, don't have a dog in that fight.

But for PaatMaan to declare they are irrelevant is just short sighted...Gameday does not go to irrelevant places two years in a row.

http://ftw.usatoday....eday-signs-ndsu

He has already said he doesn't care how you "FEEL" about your FCS program. He will, using "logic and reason" tell you that your team is "irrelevant 100 percent" in both "exposure and money". He would say of Richmond, they can "pat themselves on the backs all they want for their "success" playing against nobodies, but simply put, they.dont.matter."

You see, "you can consider FCS division 1 still all you want, since they technically are" (whew!, right?) but "it's better to be an FBS doormat".

It may seem harsh plezmd, but you have just been "schooled" by a UB grad about the realities of "bigtime" Div I football.

Edited by Mr. WEO