UB Fires Head Football Coach Jeff Quinn

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

UB sports are a trainwreck. The football team has been a mess except for a couple seasons, and the basketball team except for the one or two year run w/Turner Battle have been equally mediocre. Embarrassing for a school their size.

At the same time, despite being in a hockey and lacrosse playing hotbed, we have another AD that doesn't even want to consider adding these sports.

New OC?

MY GOD, MAN!! DON'T EVEN THINK IT!!! You don't like Hackett? Quinn would make your head explode. The man is an idiot. His hiring was a practical joke played on the school as Ward Manuel left for Connecticut.

UB sports are a trainwreck. The football team has been a mess except for a couple seasons, and the basketball team except for the one or two year run w/Turner Battle have been equally mediocre. Embarrassing for a school their size.

At the same time, despite being in a hockey and lacrosse playing hotbed, we have another AD that doesn't even want to consider adding these sports.

This is about as untrue as can be, Labatt, and I'm disappointed in you. Yes football has been hard but all of their other teams have been very competitive, including basketball.

In fact the basketball team is actually quite good under Hurley. They won the MAC East with a 19-10 record. This year the face two Final Four teams in Wisconsin and Kentucky. And as for hockey and lacrosse they want to get their existing programs up to snuff before launching new ones. They don't have the budget that other major universities have. One step at a time.

Edited by PromoTheRobot

MY GOD, MAN!! DON'T EVEN THINK IT!!!

This is about as untrue as can be, Labatt, and I'm disappointed in you. Yes football has been hard but all of their other teams have been very competitive, including basketball.

In fact the basketball team is actually quite good under Hurley. They won the MAC East with a 19-10 record. This year the face two Final Four teams in Wisconsin and Kentucky. And as for hockey and lacrosse they want to get their existing programs up to snuff before launching new ones. They don't have the budget that other major universities have. One step at a time.

Having Starks, Oliver, and Mack in the NFL is pretty significant too.

Didn't they just give Quinn an extension to his contract?

They did two years ago and he had the 8-4 season. I think Danny White figured it was a schedule loaded with cupcakes (which it was) and there was a chance that a larger school would hire Quinn away, thus netting UB a nice buyout. Unfortunately any school looking for a coach knew enough to steer clear of Quinn-ball, even at 8-4. The losses to E. Mich last Saturday, BG (a game Quinn literally gave away), Army, and close call against D2 Duquesne proved it was time to pull the plug.

Edited by PromoTheRobot

MY GOD, MAN!! DON'T EVEN THINK IT!!! You don't like Hackett? Quinn would make your head explode. The man is an idiot. His hiring was a practical joke played on the school as Ward manuel left for Connecticut.

All right....I stand corrected on the basketball team which I was more critical than they deserve. But my comments on the AD, football, lacrosse and hockey, I'll stand behind. You have hockey rinks right across from North campus, and lacrosse can be played on the football field. In the meantime, it's football football football. If they want to rebuild the football program, start with that crap stadium. Ok...I feel better now. :)

All right....I stand corrected on the basketball team which I was more critical than they deserve. But my comments on the AD, football, lacrosse and hockey, I'll stand behind. You have hockey rinks right across from North campus, and lacrosse can be played on the football field. In the meantime, it's football football football. If they want to rebuild the football program, start with that crap stadium. Ok...I feel better now. :)

What kind of competitive D1 hockey program can you run when your home rink the the Pepsi Center? Do it half-ass now or give it time and do it right. And yes that stadium is Soviet-era horrible.

Is it really a crap stadium? I graduated 35 years ago (Holy Crap!) so I only attended games at the old Main St stadium which was probably worse than many high school stadiums. I know I saw the new arena at the Amherst campus when I was back for a visit but I don't know if I ever saw the stadium.

@gggaughan

UB fires head coach Jeff Quinn in wake of 37-27 loss at Eastern Michigan. http://campuswatch.b...higan/ …

They were favored by 13 pts so I was surprised to see the final score.

What kind of competitive D1 hockey program can you run when your home rink the the Pepsi Center? Do it half-ass now or give it time and do it right. And yes that stadium is Soviet-era horrible.

Pepsi Center would just be a temporary home. I just think that hockey would be a great fit.

Whenever I heard Quinn on the radio I would get db chills. He spoke like macho man randy savage and would severely overstate the program. I get you gotta sell people on it but he just seems over the top and cartoon like. If I was a recruit, my bs meter would instantly be pegged with this guy and his schtick

It didn't surprise me after Saturday. They seemed clueless about stopping EMU's option attack. After Army had beaten them down with it, one would think it would have been prepared. His level of coach speak was over the top too. That said, UB has been a tough place to recruit to. I suspect it has to be a real shock to the players. I hope they get the next hire right.

Took a huge step back this year. Defense has been atrocious. They lost to Army who has a new coach, new system. Army lost to YALE. Lost to Bowling Green. Up 28-17 in that one but gave up 508 yards and were outscored 16-7 in the 2nd half. Lost to Eastern Michigan. EMU was 1-4, have had 1 winning season since 1990. They started a backup freshman QB and scored 34 points in the 2nd half. UB gave up 337 yards rushing. In college, every team loses good players every year. They didn't replace any of them. Recruiting has been terrible. They were not moving forward. AD White talks a big game, they want a $20 million field house, they want to remodel the football stadium. UB has 30,000 students. Can't even field a consistent team in the MAC. I thought they would wait until after the season but it was time. Charle Weis is available......

Why don't they just drop back to Div III? No shame in that.

Why don't you? Only WEO would tell a school that produced Khalil Mack and Bo Oliver to do that.

There's a couple of offensive linemen in NFL too.

And Trevor Scott

And CB Josh Thomas was just signed by the Jets.

Edited by PromoTheRobot