Official Pre-Game Thread: Week 6, Patriots at Bills

Dan

Week 6: New England at Buffalo Bills

Sunday, October 12, 2014 at 1:00pm

TV Network: FOX (TV Map)

Announcers: Kenny Albert, Daryl Johnston, Tony Siragusa

DirecTV: 705

Bills Radio:

On the call: John Murphy (play by play), Mark Kelso (analyst), Sal Capaccio (sideline)

Flagship: Buffalo – WGR550 (550AM); Toronto - 590 The Fan

Rochester - WCMF (96.5) and WROC (950AM); Syracuse - WKRL (100.9/WKLL 94.9)

Sirius/XM: 135 (Internet 803)

=================================================================

Game Preview:

While many were ready to write off Tom Brady and the New England Patriots after an ugly Week 4 defeat, they clearly still have plenty left in the tank.

So does veteran Kyle Orton, who led the Buffalo Bills to a surprising victory in his first start since taking over under center.

It's been an exciting week for Bills fans, as Terry Pegula and wife Kim were unanimously approved as new owners Wednesday. While there was some concern the team could be moved out of state if purchased by another party, the Pegulas -- who also own the Buffalo Sabres -- have no such plans. The sale is expected to be finalized by the end of the week.

Read more at ESPN game preview...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Patriots at Bills NFL.com Preview 

Game Preview: New England Patriots at Buffalo Bills

Unconventional Preview: Tom Brady, Patriots Will Deserve a Frosty Beverage After This One

NFL.com Game Center

Team Stats:      Bills         Patriots

Total Yds/Game.... 325.2         339.8

Total Rush............. 107.6         122.0

Total Pass............. 217.6         217.8

Points/Game..........  19.2           24.6

Time of Poss..........  29.8           31.0

----------------------------------------------

Yds/Gm Allowed... 324.8         316.2

Rush Yards...........  71.0         119.6

Pass Yards........... 253.8         196.6

Points Allowed........ 17.8           21.4

Source: NFL.com

Overall Offense: Bills - 26th; Patriots - 21st

Overall Defense: Bills -  8th; Patriots -  4th

MatchUp Comparison via SportingCharts.com

Injury Report:

Buffalo Bills 24, 10, 12,

NAME            POSITION    INJURY         WED.   THU.   FRI.    GAME STATUS        

Bradham, Nigel          LB          Knee        DNP          DNP          LP          Doubtful

Brooks, Ron             CB          Shoulder    LP          LP          LP          Probable

Easley, Marcus          WR          Knee        DNP          DNP          DNP          Out

Jackson, Fred           RB          Illness/Ankle   LP          LP          DNP          Questionable

Searcy, Da'Norris       S          Knee          LP          LP          LP          Questionable

Spikes, Brandon         LB          Ribs          LP          LP          LP          Questionable

Williams, Chris         G          Back          LP          LP          DNP          Out

Williams, Kyle          DT          Knee          LP          LP          LP          Questionable

Williams, Aaron         S          Wrist          LP          LP          LP          Questionable

Source: BuffaloBills.com

New England Patriots

Brady, Tom              QB          Ankle          -          -          LP          Questionable

Browner, Brandon        CB          Ankle          -          DNP          DNP          Questionable

Collins, Jamie          LB          Thigh          LP          LP          LP          Questionable

Easley, Dominique       DL   Shoulder/Knee          LP          DNP          DNP          Questionable

Ebner, Nate             DB          Finger          DNP          DNP          DNP          Out

Fleming, Cameron        OL          Finger          DNP          DNP          DNP          Out

Hightower, Dont'a       LB          Knee          LP          LP          LP          Questionable

Jones, Chandler         DE          Shoulder          LP          LP          LP          Probable

McCourty, Devin         DB          Rib          LP          LP          LP          Probable

Slater, Matthew         WR          Shoulder          LP          LP          LP          Questionable

Stork, Bryan            OL          Head          -          LP          DNP          Questionable

Source: Patriots.com   

Practice Status                                                                                         Game Status

DNP = Did Not Participate in Practice                                                      Out = Player will not play

LP = Limited Participation - Less than 100% of normal reps                    Doubtful = 25% chance a player will play

FP = Full Participation - 100% of a player's normal repetitions                Questionable = 50% chance a player will play

Out = Player will not play                                                                          Probable = 75% chance a player will play

(-) = Not Listed = No practice status available                                          (-) = Not Listed - No game status available

The Odds:

Line: Patriots -3

Over/Under: 45.0

Source: The LineMakers

Up to date lines... if you're in Vegas. 

My Thoughts on the Game: 

After an exciting game last week and an historic week off the field, it’s shaping up to be a great game at the Ralph again.  How long has it been since we’ve seen this level of optimism that’s currently surrounding our team?  It really seems like it’s been since the early 90’s since we’ve had so much positive energy surrounding the Bills.  Is the team perfect? Dominating opponents? No.  But, none of that seems to matter.  We can win every week with this team.  Is this finally the season when this team turns the corner?  It certainly feels that way.

So, what will I be watching for this Sunday?  

Everything.  Win or lose, good or bad, stupid CJ run plays up the middle.. .none of that matters.  This week, we have a new owner.  Someone that genuinely seems to love our team, our community, our loyalty.  For the first time in nearly 2 decades I can watch a Bills game and know that they’re my team, the same as they were my parent’s team, and will be my kids team... with no caveats.  How good does that feel!  The Buffalo Bills will remain the BUFFALO Bills.  This team is special, there is only one.  And it’s our team. Our time. Our future.  

So, I’ll enjoy every snap, every cheer, every moment, reflecting on all that we’ve been through over the last 2 decades.  And enjoy the prospect that things are getting better every day in Bills Nation.  Today... it’s a good day.

Go Bills!!

Schefty actually got up really early to announce this shocker:

@AdamSchefter: Despite being listed as questionable for today's game vs, Buffalo with an ankle injury, Patriots QB Tom Brady will start.

Week 6: New England at Buffalo Bills

Sunday, October 12, 2014 at 1:00pm

TV Network: FOX (TV Map)

Announcers: Kenny Albert, Daryl Johnston, Tony Siragusa

DirecTV: 705

Bills Radio:

On the call: John Murphy (play by play), Mark Kelso (analyst), Sal Capaccio (sideline)

Flagship: Buffalo – WGR550 (550AM); Toronto - 590 The Fan

Rochester - WCMF (96.5) and WROC (950AM); Syracuse - WKRL (100.9/WKLL 94.9)

Sirius/XM: 135 (Internet 803)

=================================================================

Game Preview:

While many were ready to write off Tom Brady and the New England Patriots after an ugly Week 4 defeat, they clearly still have plenty left in the tank.

So does veteran Kyle Orton, who led the Buffalo Bills to a surprising victory in his first start since taking over under center.

It's been an exciting week for Bills fans, as Terry Pegula and wife Kim were unanimously approved as new owners Wednesday. While there was some concern the team could be moved out of state if purchased by another party, the Pegulas -- who also own the Buffalo Sabres -- have no such plans. The sale is expected to be finalized by the end of the week.

Read more at ESPN game preview...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Patriots at Bills NFL.com Preview 

Game Preview: New England Patriots at Buffalo Bills

Unconventional Preview: Tom Brady, Patriots Will Deserve a Frosty Beverage After This One

NFL.com Game Center

Team Stats:      Bills         Patriots

Total Yds/Game.... 325.2         339.8

Total Rush............. 107.6         122.0

Total Pass............. 217.6         217.8

Points/Game..........  19.2           24.6

Time of Poss..........  29.8           31.0

----------------------------------------------

Yds/Gm Allowed... 324.8         316.2

Rush Yards...........  71.0         119.6

Pass Yards........... 253.8         196.6

Points Allowed........ 17.8           21.4

Source: NFL.com

Overall Offense: Bills - 26th; Patriots - 21st

Overall Defense: Bills -  8th; Patriots -  4th

MatchUp Comparison via SportingCharts.com

Injury Report:

Buffalo Bills 24, 10, 12,

Bradham, Nigel          LB          Knee        DNP          DNP          LP          Doubtful

Brooks, Ron             CB          Shoulder    LP          LP          LP          Probable

Easley, Marcus          WR          Knee        DNP          DNP          DNP          Out

Jackson, Fred           RB          Illness/Ankle   LP          LP          DNP          Questionable

Searcy, Da'Norris       S          Knee          LP          LP          LP          Questionable

Spikes, Brandon         LB          Ribs          LP          LP          LP          Questionable

Williams, Chris         G          Back          LP          LP          DNP          Out

Williams, Kyle          DT          Knee          LP          LP          LP          Questionable

Williams, Aaron         S          Wrist          LP          LP          LP          Questionable

Source: BuffaloBills.com

New England Patriots

Brady, Tom              QB          Ankle          -          -          LP          Questionable

Browner, Brandon        CB          Ankle          -          DNP          DNP          Questionable

Collins, Jamie          LB          Thigh          LP          LP          LP          Questionable

Easley, Dominique       DL   Shoulder/Knee          LP          DNP          DNP          Questionable

Ebner, Nate             DB          Finger          DNP          DNP          DNP          Out

Fleming, Cameron        OL          Finger          DNP          DNP          DNP          Out

Hightower, Dont'a       LB          Knee          LP          LP          LP          Questionable

Jones, Chandler         DE          Shoulder          LP          LP          LP          Probable

McCourty, Devin         DB          Rib          LP          LP          LP          Probable

Slater, Matthew         WR          Shoulder          LP          LP          LP          Questionable

Stork, Bryan            OL          Head          -          LP          DNP          Questionable

Source: Patriots.com   

Practice Status                                                                                         Game Status

DNP = Did Not Participate in Practice                                                      Out = Player will not play

LP = Limited Participation - Less than 100% of normal reps                    Doubtful = 25% chance a player will play

FP = Full Participation - 100% of a player's normal repetitions                Questionable = 50% chance a player will play

Out = Player will not play                                                                          Probable = 75% chance a player will play

(-) = Not Listed = No practice status available                                          (-) = Not Listed - No game status available

The Odds:

Line: Patriots -3

Over/Under: 45.0

Source: The LineMakers

Up to date lines... if you're in Vegas. 

My Thoughts on the Game: 

After an exciting game last week and an historic week off the field, it’s shaping up to be a great game at the Ralph again.  How long has it been since we’ve seen this level of optimism that’s currently surrounding our team?  It really seems like it’s been since the early 90’s since we’ve had so much positive energy surrounding the Bills.  Is the team perfect? Dominating opponents? No.  But, none of that seems to matter.  We can win every week with this team.  Is this finally the season when this team turns the corner?  It certainly feels that way.

So, what will I be watching for this Sunday?  

Everything.  Win or lose, good or bad, stupid CJ run plays up the middle.. .none of that matters.  This week, we have a new owner.  Someone that genuinely seems to love our team, our community, our loyalty.  For the first time in nearly 2 decades I can watch a Bills game and know that they’re my team, the same as they were my parent’s team, and will be my kids team... with no caveats.  How good does that feel!  The Buffalo Bills will remain the BUFFALO Bills.  This team is special, there is only one.  And it’s our team. Our time. Our future.  

So, I’ll enjoy every snap, every cheer, every moment, reflecting on all that we’ve been through over the last 2 decades.  And enjoy the prospect that things are getting better every day in Bills Nation.  Today... it’s a good day.

Go Bills!!

this is a great post. With the ownership and everything they are about with their investment in the city and their humble, unassuming nature, it feels right and like an 800 lb gorilla has been lifted off of this team's back. Can you imagine if that was The Donald? Or Bon Jovi, at the podium on Friday? I agree that this Our Time (Robert Woods voice). There aren't any other fans in the league like the Bills 12th man. Today the Pats* will feel it. Times have changed.

Awesome post, Dan. I even bought a new TV for the man cave to watch this one. Totally stoked, and of course...cautiously optimistic.

I'm uncertain if we've turned the corner yet but with a win today it'll be a huge step in that direction.

GO BILLS !!

Great scene at the stadium today - we're doing it up at Hammer's, of you're here, swing by! Behind the shed...

It's going to be a picture perfect day for football, this is gonna be a good one!

@Bdubs in Lake Chares, LA. I have 'my' usual stool set up w/ our game right in front of me. Today? I walk in and theirs a couple right next to my reserved seat wearin Brady jerseys. With very little small talk, she reported me to the mgr. Mgr quickly relocated them deep into the table seats. Typically, smug-azz NE'ers.

SOOOOO want to whoop the Pats* TODAY!!!

@Bdubs in Lake Chares, LA. I have 'my' usual stool set up w/ our game right in front of me. Today? I walk in and theirs a couple right next to my reserved seat wearin Brady jerseys. With very little small talk, she reported me to the mgr. Mgr quickly relocated them deep into the table seats. Typically, smug-azz NE'ers.

SOOOOO want to whoop the Pats* TODAY!!!

Good for the mgr... Though he should have evicted them :D