Please tell me why Kyle Orton is not the long term answer ?

HOUSE

• Replies 452
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Haven't decided yet.. Always liked Orton, but thought he took too many sacks... Despite that fact, he's performed admirably... THE GUY LITERALLY HAS NO GOOD PLAYS TO CALL!

Bottom line: If a good QB falls to us in the draft, we're taking him.

I'm giving Orton the next 3 games... In my book, he's won a backup job for sure.

Edited by #34fan

It all depends. If he continues to play well and we make the playoffs, I could see them giving him an extension and I wouldn't mind that one bit. If he regresses and we fail to make the playoffs, I believe the Bills will keep looking.

I like Orton as the caretaker for the position until we can eventually develop our QB of the future. The team is mainly built to win NOW, and Orton is the right QB for right now. It's his position until (or IF) EJ is ready to take over. I don't see that happening anytime soon.

We Bills fans had better hope that this team is built to win for the long run.

Look at the youth on the team. The average age is 25.7 You typically don't build a win now team with 1 to 4 year players as your main starters .

http://www.buffalobi...eam/roster.html

Young contributors to the success of the Bills

Sammy, R. Woods, Dareus, Gilmore, A Williams, Kiko, Summers, and EJ.

possible candidates (?) Nickell Robey, Nigel Bradham

The oldest teams. (throw out the oldest for obvious reasons)

Raiders 27, Giants, Bears, Colts, Chargers etc

Edited by BillsFan-4-Ever

I'd love to see Orton be our guy for the next five years. After a bye and time to keep learning the offense, and create synergy with WR, could Orton take a real step forward with even less sacks, and better production.

We remain focused on improving our G situation, Safety, and TE. We could be a damn good team for the next couple of years. We have time to draft a QB as you won't ever get one in free agency.

It could be next year, or the year after for a QB. This could be the beginning of a nice change in Buffalo.

The way the denver fan base (they are lol) treated him was rough. I wouldn't be surprised in the slightest if he had a nice little resurgence here. He has flaws, of course, but I think he's much superior to fitz.

It will be interesting to see Orton return to Denver on December 7......and we know Kyle will be MOTIVATED to show his stuff that day!!!!

Considering he has one month with the team, beat the Lions, made all the throws,made some great adjustments , is still a little rusty, why is Kyle Orton NOT the long term answer?

I think he is......

Yes,yes, we need to see more but why rule him out ? I see lots of threads that say he is a short term fix........Why ?

Its very possible that he could be Buffalo's QB for the next 5 or 6 years .

We may be rebuilding this team by then......

If he continues playing the way he has, he could indeed be the long-term answer.

But that's very unlikely.

QBs in their tenth year suddenly start consistently playing QB so well that they jack their QB Rating up 23 points above their lifetime rating. That's what has happened here, and it happens ... my guess is it's never happened.

Didn't happen with Rich Gannon, for instance, the poster boy for a guy who'd been average for a long time suddenly playing better fairly consistently. But not 23 points better. He had three years in a row where he was about 10 points above his lifetime rating, then he regressed again.

What does happen though, quite a bit actually, is guys who've been average for a while but have veteran smarts go to a new team and play a lot better for somewhere between two and six or seven games before regressing when teams figure out how to defense them in the new scheme.

That's the most likely outcome here too, as history shows. And it's happened before with Orton. When you look at his history as a vet, he's performed well at first with new teams, but then dropped off.

I'd love to see it. But I'm positive we must have had the same thread for Fitz. Hopefully, this is much different but we got a long way to go. Just because you get a kiss doesn't mean you are going all the way. :)

Yup, we had dozens if not hundreds of the same threads for Fitz. And Trent. And Losman and Kelly Holcomb and Flutie and Rob Johnson and on and on back to when it was pre-internet letters to the editors.

It's the way it works with fans. Give 'em a ray of hope and they'll see Times Square on New Year's Eve.

I don't know about the long term answer - if 2-3 years is long-term I'd say Orton may very well be good enough (and still young enough) to give us solid production for 2-3 years.

The comparison people make to Fitz is a fair one, but at the same time Orton has a better arm than Fitz so that's a bit reassuring. Also, with Fitz, he always seemed to make that ONE critical mistake in a game that just screwed us over. I swear Fitz was an unlucky SOB many times. Orton appears to win despite his turnovers b/c he just keeps throwing it downfield. Fitz couldn't do that as well. This is still a small sample size for Orton in buffalo though but Orton has a better track record than Fitz did. Orton has already won in this league whereas Fitz had never won in this league. So at this point I'm more confident in Orton than I was with Fitz.

At this point in time, Orton can become our younger version of Carson Palmer: A statue with a good arm on a team with weapons on offense and a great defense. They'll never be top 5-8 QB's in this league, but they're certainly good enough to win you 10 games.

We haven't made the playoffs in 15 seasons and people are concerned with 5 years from now ? At 31 years old there is no reason Orton couldn't be the guy for the next 3-4 years which is a eternity in the NFL but the playoffs determines that .The numbers say Orton is playing better than he ever has but its tough to calculate how much is simply Orton improving and how much is the rule changes which has given the majority of competent qbs an uptick in numbers . Post-bye I am not worried about him constantly posting huge numbers I want to see the offense expand and grow during a push towards a playoff game.

I think this conversation is better for the end of the season. Let's see how things play out.

Let's not get too overboard with Orton beating two of the worst teams in the league. He did not look like the long term answer against New England. As others have said, if he continues to play well and win then he is your answer for this season and probably next. After that, who knows. There is a ton of uncertainty with this team heading into the Pegula Era. We may have a completely new coaching staff and/or front office next year.

I think this conversation is better for the end of the season. Let's see how things play out.

Let's not get too overboard with Orton beating two of the worst teams in the league. He did not look like the long term answer against New England. As others have said, if he continues to play well and win then he is your answer for this season and probably next. After that, who knows. There is a ton of uncertainty with this team heading into the Pegula Era. We may have a completely new coaching staff and/or front office next year.

bingo

Considering he has one month with the team, beat the Lions, made all the throws,made some great adjustments , is still a little rusty, why is Kyle Orton NOT the long term answer?

I think he is......

Yes,yes, we need to see more but why rule him out ? I see lots of threads that say he is a short term fix........Why ?

Its very possible that he could be Buffalo's QB for the next 5 or 6 years .

We may be rebuilding this team by then....... :flirt:

--

1- Kelly Holcombe

2- Ryan Fitzpatrick

3- Insert other examples of retreads here who look good for a short bit but then regress to their mean career averages.

If he continues playing the way he has, he could indeed be the long-term answer.

But that's very unlikely.

QBs in their tenth year suddenly start consistently playing QB so well that they jack their QB Rating up 23 points above their lifetime rating. That's what has happened here, and it happens ... my guess is it's never happened.

Didn't happen with Rich Gannon, for instance, the poster boy for a guy who'd been average for a long time suddenly playing better fairly consistently. But not 23 points better. He had three years in a row where he was about 10 points above his lifetime rating, then he regressed again.

What does happen though, quite a bit actually, is guys who've been average for a while but have veteran smarts go to a new team and play a lot better for somewhere between two and six or seven games before regressing when teams figure out how to defense them in the new scheme.

That's the most likely outcome here too, as history shows. And it's happened before with Orton. When you look at his history as a vet, he's performed well at first with new teams, but then dropped off.

The real picture isn't quite as clear as the one you paint.

Yes, it is his 10th season in the league, but it's his first real action in a couple of years. Secondly, too much is made out of career numbers. If he'd been playing year in year out for the last 9 years it would mean more, but he's got about 5 years of starting. Also, his career average includes his rookie season and spot duty which are less indicative of future performance than his most recent performance as a long term starter. A better barometer of his performance would be to look at the two years he spent in Denver before the John Fox change where he very consistent with a QB rating around 87 both of those years.

Your analysis also ignores his progression. In seasons in which he's started at least a dozen games his QB rating has risen steadily: 59.7, 79.6, 86.8, 87.5, in that order. It shows he's one of the rare QBs that does improve steadily and significantly. That is a more accurate indicator of what is to be expected than a raw average. Plus, his QB rating doesn't have to remain at 104 for him to be a viable QB.