Please tell me why Kyle Orton is not the long term answer ?

HOUSE

Considering he has one month with the team, beat the Lions, made all the throws,made some great adjustments , is still a little rusty, why is Kyle Orton NOT the long term answer?

I think he is......

Yes,yes, we need to see more but why rule him out ? I see lots of threads that say he is a short term fix........Why ?

Its very possible that he could be Buffalo's QB for the next 5 or 6 years .

We may be rebuilding this team by then....... :flirt:

--

How is he not a long term answer? #1 is age. #2 is can he get this team to the playoffs? Who says he doesn't drop the next 11 games? That has been a recurring theme around here for the past 14 years or so. I don't expect it, but let's see a body of work before we put him on the wall of fame already :wallbash:

• Replies 452
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If Orton is our starter for more than this year and next we have a serious problem. We don't have the 85 bears defense here and its a QB driven league. Ask Rex Ryan what not having a franchise QB does to the rest of your team.

If the Bills are done with EJ they need to be searching for a replacement to KO soon. Assuming we catch lighting in a bottle is why we haven't sniffed the playoffs since I was in elementary school.

At this point, I'm not concerned with the long term future. Let's worry about this Sunday and take it week to week.

It is possible that Orton could be our answer at QB for the next few years. Its also possible that he could flame out in the next few weeks and we could be back to the drawing board. Why do we need to have an answer today? Lets just enjoy a nice win against Detroit, First place in the AFC East, the start of the Pegula ownership and the *Patriots coming to town for a game on Sunday with a lot on the line. GO BILLS.

NoSaint, Charles Romes, good comments. I think we differ on whether the switch to Orton (or even signing Orton) was smart, but we all agree on what he is.

Thanks ... some good examples. Of course, we tend to remember the successes and forget the failures. Off the top of my head: Bubby Brister, Mike Tomczak, Vince Ferragamo (of the Bills period) ... I mentioned Cassel, Chad Henne, Fitz (quietly having an awful season)

Do you mean "Bubbling Blister"??? :D

If Orton is our starter for more than this year and next we have a serious problem. We don't have the 85 bears defense here and its a QB driven league. Ask Rex Ryan what not having a franchise QB does to the rest of your team.

If the Bills are done with EJ they need to be searching for a replacement to KO soon. Assuming we catch lighting in a bottle is why we haven't sniffed the playoffs since I was in elementary school.

Quite honestly I think we should expect Kyle to be our starter the rest of this year and next........

His bouncing around the league has nothing to do with his abilities(or lack of them). He was traded for Culter, removed for Tebow(because he asked for a release), A coaching change in KC, and Left Dallas because he couldn't stand it.

the alternative spin is after he went 10-5 he was demoted to 3rd string because he had the lowest qb rating in the league. cutler trade i wont argue, then he went 8-8 and 1-4 with the broncos.... and as a free agent wasnt brought in by any team that had a void at qb.

its fair to hold up his career as having question marks and GMs not loving him.

The last thing this organization should do is make the same mistake they did with Fitz. Orton is a stop gap and a pretty good one. We need to add a young and talented QB to develop behind him. If he plays well enough then I have no problem with him holding down the position for this year and next.

The last thing this organization should do is make the same mistake they did with Fitz. Orton is a stop gap and a pretty good one. We need to add a young and talented QB to develop behind him. If he plays well enough then I have no problem with him holding down the position for this year and next.

They have him under contract for the next 2 years. EJ is still around. And they'll probably draft a QB in the middle rounds next year.

Do any of you really truly within your hearts envision Kyle Orton raising the Lombardi trophy in a Bills uniform??? If you really truly do, then yes, he is the long-term answer.

Unfortunately I envision (at best) a wildcard berth with a first round exit.

Considering he has one month with the team, beat the Lions, made all the throws,made some great adjustments , is still a little rusty, why is Kyle Orton NOT the long term answer?

I think he is......

Yes,yes, we need to see more but why rule him out ? I see lots of threads that say he is a short term fix........Why ?

Its very possible that he could be Buffalo's QB for the next 5 or 6 years .

We may be rebuilding this team by then....... :flirt:

--

as long as he keeps performing

Its not a qb driven league anymore its passing league buts its not a qb driven one . There is not one qb out there winning games by himself anymore and no teams is winning simply because they have the better qb . ten years ago yes but the league has gotten way more sophisticated now and you dont need a top 5 qb you just need a top half qb as long as you have depth and talent at other positions

Its not a qb driven league anymore its passing league buts its not a qb driven one . There is not one qb out there winning games by himself anymore and no teams is winning simply because they have the better qb . ten years ago yes but the league has gotten way more sophisticated now and you dont need a top 5 qb you just need a top half qb as long as you have depth and talent at other positions

You are honestly saying you are ok with Orton taking on Rodgers, Wilson, Kaep, Manning, Brady, Rivers, Brees in the playoffs? The rules are basically set up for QBs to run wild and put up gaudy numbers. A journeyman backup doesn't win us a championship and I'd be shocked if we won a playoff game. After watching Fitz try his hardest for 3 years you think this board would have caught on.

The Pats* are not going away. The put up 40+ against a very good defense last week. The demise of the Pats* has been wildly exaggerated.

I can't help but see a lot of similarities with this Bills QB situation with Orton and the Cardinals situation a few years ago with Warner. Both were good veterans brought in to back-up a talented but raw young QB. Both of those QB's got hurt leaving the veteran to take over the team.

I'm not saying the same thing will happen (I'd say it's extremely unlikely that it will but, I hope it does) what I'm saying is that this Bills team reminds me of that Cardinals team. Both offenses consisted of dynamic playmakers and good defenses. All Warner needed to do was be smart and manage games to win and he ended up doing much more. All Orton needs to do is be smart and manage the game.

Again, I don't know if lightening can strike twice but I hope it does. It's certainly a more exciting team to watch right now with Orton in there. I hope EJ learns what he needs to and can eventually take the reigns back, then they won't have to use another draft pick on a QB.