Jairus Byrd Out for the Season [ Update: Torn Meniscus ]

johnwalter

Saints placed FS Jairus Byrd on injured reserve with a torn lateral meniscus, ending his season.

We're not sure how big of a loss it is for the New Orleans defense, to be perfectly frank. Byrd was a matador in run defense in the season's first month, contributed zero interceptions, and also was frequently being picked on in coverage. The Saints will turn to reliable Rafael Bush opposite Kenny Vaccaro. Byrd was signed to a six-year, $54 million blockbuster contract this past March. He's owed $8.1 million in 2015, $8 million of which is guaranteed.

It seems crazy how they are already looking at the numbers on his contract and talking like his deal was a mistake. Byrd got his money though so I can't say I really blame him. Better NO than B-Lo.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

He was never elite, so I'm glad we didn't throw that kind of money to him, more so knowing that we had good players to replace him, I felt the same way with Levitre money wise but the plan to replace him sucked.

He was never elite, so I'm glad we didn't throw that kind of money to him, more so knowing that we had good players to replace him, I felt the same way with Levitre money wise but the plan to replace him sucked.

there most certainly was a period (~3 seasons ago) for which he was one of the NFL's premier safeties, probably in the top 2 or 3. if that's not elite, i'm not sure what is.

Whether he deserved the money or not, the way he handled himself while trying to get as much money as possible left a sour taste in my mouth. Truthfully, I can care less! He is not in a bills uniform, so it has little concern to me. See ya, and go Bills!

there most certainly was a period (~3 seasons ago) for which he was one of the NFL's premier safeties, probably in the top 2 or 3. if that's not elite, i'm not sure what is.

int numbers were elite, his overall play was not.

The ONLY thing I blame Jairus for is basically shoving it in our faces that he wanted to play for "a playoff team." I'm not saying he wasn't justified, but it stings nonetheless.

The funny thing is that a lot of "experts" around the league believe the Bills have as much talent as anyone.

That said -- I feel badly for Byrd that he's out for the season. He can sit back and count a lot of Benjamins, however.

Seems like, with few exceptions, guys that leave here are cursed. That said, he is looking smarter for getting that long term deal than playing under another tag.

I've always said the Bills are like a farm team for the rest of the league...but they seem to get injured quickly, all the way back to Nate Odomes.

Byrd was not that great last year but some looked at him thru rose colored glasses (or Crimson if they were mad the Bills did sign him to a blockbuster contract). He has hardly practiced in several years so it is not surprising he gets injured. You can get injured in practice but practice is what allows players to take hits and not make plays which hurt themselves. NFLPA's demands are why so many players are getting injured these days; that and their protection of their members who take cheap shots. Too bad there is no competition for the NFLPA.

Damn. Good for him for getting paid. With how weak the NFLPA is compared to other athletes unions, I never hold it against these guys when they ask for big money. So few of them ever even get a shot at a big contract, and so much of it isn't guaranteed anyway.

Get well, Jairus!

Kent Hull could have gone to another team and make a reported $500.000 more. He stayed. That' s a team guy, not a me guy.