Marrone-"I didn't ask for agreement [when he told Whaley]"

dave mcbride

Marrone clearly made this move to save the locker room (and his job) - not saying it wasn't the right move, it was, but he was about to lose the team (which I predicted on Sunday night).

And the fact that the coach has final say on his gameday roster is important for luring future coaches here. The stain of the Flutie/Johnson intervention still lingers over this franchise. Of course, Marrone's refusal to put Urbik in over Pears, which is a direct by-product of this new authority, may ultimately contribute to get Marrone fired. But at least he'll be hanging himself by his own petard,

hopefully Pears is out after the Lions game, where he will be brutalized. Perhaps a vet QB like Orton will garner the attention of Marrone if he mentions the horrid play.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I haven't seen a Bills HC be this authoritative in years, and it's not surprising that it's taken place after RW's ownership.

There's been a lot of self-preservation going on at OBD for years and finally someone's not standing for the status quo. We heard rumblings in February that Marrone and the staff weren't satisfied with the trainers. Brandon swiftly put that fire out by forcing Marrone to toe the line.

And then there's Marrone yelling before practice a few weeks ago. His coaching life is at stake and for once there's a Bills HC who isn't going to accept the crap OBD forces on that HC. It wouldn't surprise me if Marrone pushed for Orton knowing EJ was still a project and there was some waffling. After all, it was Whaley who said they were good at QB earlier in the off-season. And Jason Cole had a report that players and staff told Marrone in the off-season EJ wasn't good enough.

I am surprised that this thread didn't get more attention.

Do you think that Mularkey would have made a move like this without consulting Donahoe? Marrone isn't exactly my favorite coach of all time but he really does have a redeeming factor or 2. And I DO believe the report from a month or so ago where he was alleged to have told Whaley, "if you want, fire me," or words to that effect. He needs to retain control of the team and keep the players believing that they have a chance to win.

I respect this move and btw thanks for posting this.

Thanks, Bill.

26Cornerblitz: What's your read on their relationship at present? You'll know better than I will.

I feel this story/comment lends much more credence to that sideline blowup story from training camp

is it really a surprise that a GM & Coach would strongly disagree over a player or two ?

look at the opinions of TBD posters just on EJ.

those guys have their livelihoods and millions of dollars at stake.

http://espn.go.com/b...den-off-marrone

The decision, the Bills say, was made entirely by Marrone, who delivered the news Monday afternoon to general manager Doug Whaley.

"I didn't ask for an agreement," Marrone explained. "I just went in there and said, 'This is the direction that I'm going.'"

-------

This of course makes me wonder about their relationship and who was really the advocate for bringing in Orton. Something tells me that Marrone may not have been as critical of bringing in Orton as the media (Florio and others) would have us believe.

I say the argument at the end of camp was Marrone was pissed at Whaley and Brandon forcing a crap QB (EJ) on him. Look Marrone is here to win, not dick around, not coddle or develop a crap QB. He wants to win. Kudos to him

"They want you to cook the dinner at least they should let you shop for the groceries." - Bill Parcells.

since I didn't shop for the groceries, i'll cook what I want - Doug Marrone.

Maybe Marrone never wanted EJ to begin with. :ph34r:

Why would a coach ask for a GM's permission before managing who's playing and who's not?

Apparently, from what I've heard, that's the predicament that Rex Ryan is in with Geno. When asked repeatedly if he would remove Geno from a Jets game if he's struggling he repeatedly stated that's an organizational decision. Reading between the lines, it appears that Idzik and co. are specifically telling Rex he must start Geno no matter what until they say otherwise.

Edited by bobobonators

What irks me is that the CYA Circus has begun at OBD now, with the impending ownership transition and the fact that the season has become a dumpster fire. Last week we had reports filtering in that Marrone wasn't consulted about the decision to dump Fitz, and Hackett supposedly loves Fitz and would've been thrilled to work with him. Now this. The decision is one thing, but the need to assert that it was Marrone's call brings it to another level - I realize the question was asked that way, but he could've gone with "We're a team, we're all on the same side" non-answer that most coaches would give. No, he made sure to let everyone know that it was up to him. It appears that Marrone, Whaley and perhaps Brandon are all starting to distance themselves from each other, point fingers, and jockey for position. It sucks to watch.

Edited by Coach Tuesday

according to this article, it was Whaley that wanted Orton, not Marrone. Either way, hopefully Whaley empowered Doug to make football decisions regarding who starts, and Doug woke up and realized that EJ was going to get him fired (and a few WR's killed). http://www.foxsports...g-whaley-092914

"I think people don't like the way he looks -- maybe it's the neck beard or chubby cheeks -- so they don't think he can play"

:huh::lol:

What irks me is that the CYA Circus has begun at OBD now, with the impending ownership transition and the fact that the season has become a dumpster fire. Last week we had reports filtering in that Marrone wasn't consulted about the decision to dump Fitz, and Hackett supposedly loves Fitz and would've been thrilled to work with him. Now this. The decision is one thing, but the need to assert that it was Marrone's call brings it to another level - I realize the question was asked that way, but he could've gone with "We're a team, we're all on the same side" non-answer that most coaches would give. No, he made sure to let everyone know that it was up to him. It appears that Marrone, Whaley and perhaps Brandon are all starting to distance themselves from each other, point fingers, and jockey for position. It sucks to watch.

Didn't hear about the Fitz/Hackett stuff. Where was that reported?

http://espn.go.com/b...den-off-marrone

The decision, the Bills say, was made entirely by Marrone, who delivered the news Monday afternoon to general manager Doug Whaley.

"I didn't ask for an agreement," Marrone explained. "I just went in there and said, 'This is the direction that I'm going.'"

-------

This of course makes me wonder about their relationship and who was really the advocate for bringing in Orton. Something tells me that Marrone may not have been as critical of bringing in Orton as the media (Florio and others) would have us believe.

Marrone had nothing but praise for Orton and his signing since day 1 and was open critical of the backup QB's prior. The rumor mongering by Florio and others never made any sense frankly. Marrone wants to win and I am sure would play any QB he thinks gives him the best chance.

If he made the decision first and then told Whaley, to me it points to a good relationship. You want the coach to make big decisions before checking in with the front office. Whaley must have empowered him enough to allow him to make the football decision.

Isn't the head coach supposed to have authority over who plays and who sits?

Isn't the head coach supposed to have authority over who plays and who sits?

I'd venture a guess that it's not always that way. GM's can place pressure on a HC to start certain players due to contract or whatever. I mean during a game it appears obvious that any NFL coach does what they want with the roster but from week to week I'd guess that some GM's in the league have a lot of influence over who starts. Especially when we're talking about QBs - which is essentially the face of the franchise.

Last week we had reports filtering in that Marrone wasn't consulted about the decision to dump Fitz, and Hackett supposedly loves Fitz and would've been thrilled to work with him.

What were those reports? I read a BB.com article where Hackett is quoted as saying he was not consulted, but that's not the same as reporting that Marrone was not consulted.

And Jason Cole had a report that players and staff told Marrone in the off-season EJ wasn't good enough.

Do you have a link to that? I'd enjoy reading that.

Didn't hear about the Fitz/Hackett stuff. Where was that reported?

http://www.syracuse.com/buffalo-bills/index.ssf/2014/09/bills_nathaniel_hackett_ryan_fitzpatrick_ej_manuel.html

But just three months after Hackett was hired in January of 2013, the Bills cut Fitzpatrick.

"He's a dear, dear friend," Hackett said. "I talk to him. When I was at Syracuse we would talk all the time. When I got here I was so excited to come back here and coach him and then he ended up leaving, and I was like, 'Woah, where are you going, we just got here.' That was a big part of me wanting to be here was to be with him. He's a wonderful, wonderful guy."

I haven't seen a Bills HC be this authoritative in years, and it's not surprising that it's taken place after RW's ownership.

There's been a lot of self-preservation going on at OBD for years and finally someone's not standing for the status quo. We heard rumblings in February that Marrone and the staff weren't satisfied with the trainers. Brandon swiftly put that fire out by forcing Marrone to toe the line.

And then there's Marrone yelling before practice a few weeks ago. His coaching life is at stake and for once there's a Bills HC who isn't going to accept the crap OBD forces on that HC. It wouldn't surprise me if Marrone pushed for Orton knowing EJ was still a project and there was some waffling. After all, it was Whaley who said they were good at QB earlier in the off-season. And Jason Cole had a report that players and staff told Marrone in the off-season EJ wasn't good enough.

Agree. I would think that more Bills fans would appreciate a decisive coach rather than a Jauron or Gailey. If Doug Marrone sees this team struggling, he's not going to go down without a fight. Even if you don't agree with his decision to bench EJ, we should at least give him the props for having the balls to make it.