EJ benched, Orton to start.

JÂy RÛßeÒ

Thank God that the Sabres hit the ice in 9 days.

My buddy, a Chefs fan, said Orton "will look amazing one game and s##ty the next. But he will air it out. He also pointed out that Orton had 4 300 yard games in a row with KC. That sounds okay to me.

Has anyone actually looked up his stats? They suggest a middle of the road QB, what is the upside? We have ruined another QB with a pre-mature benching. I hope that I will be eating crow by December.

Edited by DirtDart

• Replies 576
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Has anyone actually looked up his stats? They suggest a middle of the road QB, what is the upside? We have ruined another QB with a pre-mature benching. I hope that I will be eating crow by December.

How about knowing what you actually have. Upside, seriously?! JP has more upside, Johnson has more upside, EJ has more upside, not if they don't get the game. Basically what you are saying is he is an unknown and he "might" play better. Right now we just need a player we know can play the position and EJ cannot at the moment.

Edited by A Dog Named Kelso

EJ was regressing and not playing to NFL standards. I was never an Orton fan, but the feeling is a middle of road QB at least gives us a chance at post season

Watching EJ in week 3 against San Diego reminded me of when the Phantom Menace came out.

I went to the first midnight show all excited and walked out, trying to convince myself that I liked it,

it wasn't so bad. Only a week later (week 4 for EJ) having to admit to myself that it actually sucked.

I like the kid, he's trying and putting in the effort, but it's just not there (at least not yet).

After the last two weeks, I think there was really no choice but for Marrone to pull him. You're doing the

rest of the team a disservice, as Marrone said, if you're not giving your team the best chance to win.

I could accept EJ making some bad plays when under pressure with his receivers well covered. But he was

missing wide open plays with no pressure on him. Sure Houston had a lot of early pressure and again when the Bills

were playing catch up. But during a good chunk of the game, he had a decent pocket and his guys were

getting open and he was missing them badly. There was no pressure on the pick 6, he just telegraphed it.

It felt like his head wasn't in the game. We should have had a much larger lead early on and he was given

every opportunity to make a comeback. Even if the comeback attempt was at least a good effort but fell

short, a lot may have been forgiven, but like most of his passes on Sunday, it was not even close.

If EJ is smart, he'll learn from guys like Freddie, Corey Graham, and even Orton that nothing is handed to

you in the NFL, you have to earn it. So, if he works his butt off and doesn't give up, he'll get another shot somewhere

down the road. If he doesn't, then he was never going to have the mental fortitude to be a true starting QB anyhow.

So, I'll root for Kyle to make us a better football team now and I'll continue to root for EJ to keep progressing in the wings.

The original plan for EJ was for Kevin Kolb to start. Suddenly through injury he had to be the starter. A guy like him shouldn't have played right away. The coaches need to keep working with him, Kyle needs to teach as he prepares. The kids has skill but his indecisiveness is killing him plus I think the game is still moving too fast. In the long run, his lack of accuracy might be the factor that causes him to fail, but I think he'll have another shot to prove he's the guy.

I don't hate EJ. The only way he could have made it is for him to be behind a solid veteran like the plan with Kolb, and take time to develop. I hope EJ shakes off how rattled he looked Sunday after his first three hits. He needed to get benched, and hopefully Orton wins us that Texans game. We wouldn't have won against the Chargers who are lighting it up this year with Orton, but games like the Texans would have been a win with Orton.

Why, because Orton would have picked up on the blitzing and pressure better than EJ, and would have made some of those wide open WR.

I still believe we'll probably lose to the Lions with all of their weapons, but Schwartz better have Graham in the whole game shadowing Megatron.

After watching the Pats game, I'll pick us at home with Orton.

Watching EJ in week 3 against San Diego reminded me of when the Phantom Menace came out.

I went to the first midnight show all excited and walked out, trying to convince myself that I liked it,

it wasn't so bad. Only a week later (week 4 for EJ) having to admit to myself that it actually sucked.

I like the kid, he's trying and putting in the effort, but it's just not there (at least not yet).

After the last two weeks, I think there was really no choice but for Marrone to pull him. You're doing the

rest of the team a disservice, as Marrone said, if you're not giving your team the best chance to win.

I could accept EJ making some bad plays when under pressure with his receivers well covered. But he was

missing wide open plays with no pressure on him. Sure Houston had a lot of early pressure and again when the Bills

were playing catch up. But during a good chunk of the game, he had a decent pocket and his guys were

getting open and he was missing them badly. There was no pressure on the pick 6, he just telegraphed it.

It felt like his head wasn't in the game. We should have had a much larger lead early on and he was given

every opportunity to make a comeback. Even if the comeback attempt was at least a good effort but fell

short, a lot may have been forgiven, but like most of his passes on Sunday, it was not even close.

If EJ is smart, he'll learn from guys like Freddie, Corey Graham, and even Orton that nothing is handed to

you in the NFL, you have to earn it. So, if he works his butt off and doesn't give up, he'll get another shot somewhere

down the road. If he doesn't, then he was never going to have the mental fortitude to be a true starting QB anyhow.

So, I'll root for Kyle to make us a better football team now and I'll continue to root for EJ to keep progressing in the wings.

I can't disagree with anything you typed -- except I would never stand in line to watch the midnight opening of a movie. ;)

Middle of the road is 50% better than what we had.

I legitimately want EJ to be great for us and I've been one of his bigger apologists. But man he was brutal these last two weeks. Maybe Orton won't be better. Maybe some bench time will let him ride the pine and get his head clear. But we aren't going to the playoffs with play like that.

Best of luck Kyle. Prove it with some wins.

I legitimately want EJ to be great for us and I've been one of his bigger apologists. But man he was brutal these last two weeks. Maybe Orton won't be better. Maybe some bench time will let him ride the pine and get his head clear. But we aren't going to the playoffs with play like that.

Best of luck Kyle. Prove it with some wins.

I doubt he can be much worse also...

While I applaud this move and think its the right one, I cant help but feel this is like slapping a bandaid over an open wound

CBF

Edited by Canadian Bills Fan

For people saying he pulled the trigger too quick, it's better to recognize the problem early while you still are in the race and make changes than wait until you don't have a shot anymore.

It might not work out, but like Marrone said, we couldn't keep going in the same direction.

I doubt he can be much worse also...

While I applaud this move and think its the right one, I cant help but feel this is like slapping a bandaid over an open wound

CBF

I feel the same way. Even if there is debate as to whether Orton is a short term improvement I don't think anyone considers him a long term solution.

I think the question isn't "Can he win enough games for us" but rather "Can he not lose enough games for us".

The original plan for EJ was for Kevin Kolb to start. Suddenly through injury he had to be the starter. A guy like him shouldn't have played right away. The coaches need to keep working with him, Kyle needs to teach as he prepares. The kids has skill but his indecisiveness is killing him plus I think the game is still moving too fast. In the long run, his lack of accuracy might be the factor that causes him to fail, but I think he'll have another shot to prove he's the guy.

Yeah, perhaps in year one. This is year two though. The plan the entire off-season was for the trio of young guns to make a quantum leap forward and be ready to lead the Bills to the playoffs. Not only did Whaley say EJ was the QB, he backed it up with his actions all off-season.

I am amazed by all the people that are happy about this. Ultimately what it means is that the Bills don't have a QB. It also means that the entire organization will get blown up. Some here will rejoice. Another GM, another coach, another QB search. Of course the next guys will be better or not. In the end it means this organization will not be competitive. Yet another rebuild.