1. 1. Who should start next week?

• EJ Manuel
    • Kyle Orton

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

EJ was bad but he wasn't god awful horrible. Statistically he completed 59% of his passes for 6.1 yards per attempt.

This was a team loss. I don't think Schwartz had a great game plan Our secondary certainly could have played better. I don't think Hackett knows how to draw up running plays that create space for CJ. I think the O Line was bad. And I think the penalties destroyed offensive momentum and kept SD drives alive.

EJ's play was subpar but there's a lot of blame to go around. I don't think we would have won if Orton was in the game and I don't think Orton should start the next game.

I'm thinking yes, only so that he can learn how to run the offense with the weapons we have. Kolb was supposed to be that for him. ONLY cuz he needs 3rd person view. He has some awful habits.

You said it. He needs to see it from outside. He STILL stares down wide receivers, has no clue where they are most of the time (throw away in the endzone to an area where no WR was=safety), and still floats the ball, getting his WR's hammered (Goodwin). He's great at throwing 3 yard passes that Spiller turns into large gains. So yes, he should sit and learn the game. This is the regular season. We don't have more games to throw away while he "learns."

EJ was bad but he wasn't god awful horrible. Statistically he completed 59% of his passes for 6.1 yards per attempt.

This was a team loss. I don't think Schwartz had a great game plan Our secondary certainly could have played better. I don't think Hackett knows how to draw up running plays that create space for CJ. I think the O Line was bad. And I think the penalties destroyed offensive momentum and kept SD drives alive.

EJ's play was subpar but there's a lot of blame to go around. I don't think we would have won if Orton was in the game and I don't think Orton should start the next game.

how many passes did EJ complete that were beyond 10 yards? What was his percentage then? He missed wide open WR's all day long, and that safety was totally inexcusable. I agree Schwartz plan in the 1/2 was lacking, but the corner play was also terrible. We need another one next year. McKelvin is playing like 2 years ago, and Gillmore looks lost.

You said it. He needs to see it from outside. He STILL stares down wide receivers, has no clue where they are most of the time (throw away in the endzone to an area where no WR was=safety), and still floats the ball, getting his WR's hammered (Goodwin). He's great at throwing 3 yard passes that Spiller turns into large gains. So yes, he should sit and learn the game. This is the regular season. We don't have more games to throw away while he "learns."

how many passes did EJ complete that were beyond 10 yards? What was his percentage then? He missed wide open WR's all day long, and that safety was totally inexcusable. I agree Schwartz plan in the 1/2 was lacking, but the corner play was also terrible. We need another one next year. McKelvin is playing like 2 years ago, and Gillmore looks lost.

Agreed. This team Will be lucky to win a single game this year!

Depends on how Orton is doing in practices. If he looks sharper, more accurate and runs the offense more smoothly that EJ, he should start. I want the best qb out there, and if that means EJ has to sit a few games and continue learning as a backup, that's good football management.

Orton is a pretty good NFL qb. Mid 80's passer rating, has had some 3500+ plus seasons with Denver. He's not gonna kill you out there.

The big question with EJ is whether or not he was born with adequate NFL-level accuracy. Everything else he can learn, or already has learned. But guys don't LEARN to be accurate, that I know.

Depends on how Orton is doing in practices. If he looks sharper, more accurate and runs the offense more smoothly that EJ, he should start. I want the best qb out there, and if that means EJ has to sit a few games and continue learning as a backup, that's good football management.

Orton is a pretty good NFL qb. Mid 80's passer rating, has had some 3500+ plus seasons with Denver. He's not gonna kill you out there.

The big question with EJ is whether or not he was born with adequate NFL-level accuracy. Everything else he can learn, or already has learned. But guys don't LEARN to be accurate, that I know.

1) you realize Orton's a career 58.5% passer, right?

2) Vick had his best completion % in his 8th year.

Agreed. This team Will be lucky to win a single game this year!

No, but they won't win any games BECAUSE of EJ. They win despite EJ. They win if Spiller, Watkins and the D can dominate the other team. But that's right, this game was an abnormality. EJ is great in the red zone, great on 3rd downs, and great at completing the long ball.

6.1 ypa is putrid, below even Fitz with Tennessee last year by about a yard per throw.

Completing 59% of your passes when you can't or won't throw downfield is dreadful. I'd accept that if he was averaging 8-8.5 ypa, but that's not the case.

No, but they won't win any games BECAUSE of EJ. They win despite EJ. They win if Spiller, Watkins and the D can dominate the other team. But that's right, this game was an abnormality. EJ is great in the red zone, great on 3rd downs, and great at completing the long ball.

This board is gonna be unreadable this week......there will be certain folks who wouldnt even post the last two weeks dominating it.

They did play like. The defense held the Chargers to 20 points its a home game and they played us for the run nearly the entire game . What does that leave ? It means the QB has go to make some throws and while I voted to keep EJ in he has got to start making those throws .

If you cant make those throws you wont be in the NFL long . The Texans and the Lions will do the same thing the Chargers did until EJ makes them think twice

I'm not sure how you could have watched that game and concluded that everyone but EJ played well enough to win. Replacing EJ would not have solved the OL issues or passing defense, just to name a couple. "holding" SD to 20 is not a big feat. It is an efficient offense but it is not super high scoring. They get a lead and sit on it. In any event, the All-22 should be interesting and helpful in evaluation. Edited by YoloinOhio

Do it...

Bench EJ... Fire Hackett.... Do SOMETHING.

Let's not lose another year to stubborness and false hopes. "Stay the course" only works when there IS a course... We haven't had one for quite some time now. Today, this team simply DID NOT compete... I realize EJ is young, but he looks like a guy who doesn't want to win bad enough. I like the kid, but he needs to know he isn't the only game in town... Orton may not be great, but he's good enough to give EJ a wake-up call.

Fourteen years and counting.... Time to make a move.

Edited by #34fan

For me, this is an RU kidding me poll!

Yeah, please delete this post. Manuel did well. Not great, but not bad. The Chargers beat the Seahawks. What was the realistic expectation of this game? Yeah, I wanted Buffalo to win; but, Seattle lost to the same team!.

Yeah, please delete this post. Manuel did well. Not great, but not bad. The Chargers beat the Seahawks. What was the realistic expectation of this game? Yeah, I wanted Buffalo to win; but, Seattle lost to the same team!.

No, Manuel had a poor game. You don't need to think he played well to think it's ridiculous to talk about putting Orton in after one bad performance.

I'd probably say stick with EJ, but I've been convinced by people who know FAR, FAR more about football than me and most any of you. Jim Kelly and Steve Tasker made it clear. I think the receivers' frustration on the field is making it clear. Kurt Warner made it clear on the radio. The players just do not believe EJ has it. I know if would be moronic to pull the plug now as that's making a career decision less than even a full 16 games into his career, but we can win now. We should win now. We've seen too many time in the recent past where it become clear a QB doesn't have it yet we throw away precious time trying to disprove what we all know. Winning championships requires bold moves. Coach, your move.

Did well? I'm not going to insult you by asking if you watched the game, but I cannot understand how someone who did could say something like that. His throws and reads were absolutely awful! A comeback was completely possible with any QB who could make the basic throws. He couldn't.

Edited by scribo

I voted Orton because he was the only other guy listed. Most NFL analysts -including Ross Tucker this morning, and MOST fans of the team know we're spinning our wheels pretending to give Manual opportunities to show what's already obvious.

We held a dynamic team to 20 points and our Defense gave the O 5 opportunities in the 4th Quarter down by only 10 points. Would Orton have done any better than Manual? I'd like to see him given the chance.

Of course not. This year is all about developing Manuel. Unless he absolutely falls apart, and for a bunch of weeks in a row, we've got to keep him in there.

Gotta find out what we've got.

When he played, wasn't that what last year was for? It is as plain as the sky is blue, there is no developing EJ. Ex NFLers are starting to say as much.

Ask yourself. Can you picture EJ throwing for 350+yds? I can't. Floated balls. Balls consistently behind WRs. Open WRs visibly frustrated. I've had it.

The fact that EJ is nice, wants to be great, has great character, bla freakin bla. Make the move now before we give Cleveland a lottery pick!