Should Orton start next week?

Dorkington

Who should start next week?  

326 members have voted

1. 1. Who should start next week?

• EJ Manuel
    • Kyle Orton

Unsurprisingly, even though the voices in the threads seem to dominate as anti EJ, the poll results show that most fans want to go with EJ. He's what, 13 games into his career? He's posted a 90 QB rating so far, has minimized mistakes, helped us win two games, and couldn't put it together to win us the third.

As I posted in another thread, almost all of the other superbowl winning QBs in the modern era had to develop over their first few seasons, but it seems people forget that in this era where Russell Wilson, and to a lesser extent, Luck/Kaepernick/RGIII, have had early success. It's a win now league, if you aren't an immediate success, you're a bust. If you don't coach to immediate success, you're a failure.

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd probably say stick with EJ, but I've been convinced by people who know FAR, FAR more about football than me and most any of you. Jim Kelly and Steve Tasker made it clear. I think the receivers' frustration on the field is making it clear. Kurt Warner made it clear on the radio. The players just do not believe EJ has it. I know if would be moronic to pull the plug now as that's making a career decision less than even a full 16 games into his career, but we can win now. We should win now. We've seen too many time in the recent past where it become clear a QB doesn't have it yet we throw away precious time trying to disprove what we all know. Winning championships requires bold moves. Coach, your move.

Did well? I'm not going to insult you by asking if you watched the game, but I cannot understand how someone who did could say something like that. His throws and reads were absolutely awful! A comeback was completely possible with any QB who could make the basic throws. He couldn't.

so you are saying the coaches should listen to the announcers and take into account what what they say on TV/radio as fact, because they used to play in the NFL?

EJ has led 3 comebacks in 12 games. So I suppose it was possible.

so you are saying the coaches should listen to the announcers and take into account what what they say on TV/radio as fact, because they used to play in the NFL?

EJ has led 3 comebacks in 12 games. So I suppose it was possible.

No, I am saying the coaches should know enough on their own to make the correct decision.

Too early for this kind of poll. However, if EJ strings together another couple games where he is throwing over, under and behind guys...this will be a legit question. You know the management is not going to piss away a great start to the season in a wide open AFC East. If Orton could do a better job hitting WR's downfield then he will be playing at some point.

Too early for this kind of poll. However, if EJ strings together another couple games where he is throwing over, under and behind guys...this will be a legit question. You know the management is not going to piss away a great start to the season in a wide open AFC East. If Orton could do a better job hitting WR's downfield then he will be playing at some point.

No doubt he could, heck I think F Jackson could hit more receivers downfield than EJ.

How about his scramble when he slid 2 yards before the first down marker fairly late in the game? That was it for me. It would be nice to see him play with a little more fire than that once and a while. That was such a soft play by our "big, strong qb." He easily would have had a first if he simply dove or took the hit. That made me think that he is still thinking about last year's injuries to me. Bad stuff.

I think his problem is that he is "too" coachable. Don't turn it over, make sure you slide when you run.. etc.. I think this is the stuff that runs through his head instead of being in the moment. He is more concerned about pleasing the coaches and keeping his job than winning. How else can you explain these type of passive plays? He's shown flashes of being aggressive and intuitive ... so we know the potential is there.. which is frustrating. I think you have to let him play at least until the bye week. If he's able to bounce back and show some fire, aggressiveness and risk taking then we've got our guy. If he continues to play "not to lose" through the bye week then time to pull the plug.

Why is there so much sensitivity with the criticisms of EJ? We have been going through this same drill since Jim Kelly retired. I thought Rob Johnson was going to be a very good QB for the Bills. I was wrong. Ultimately, the coaches will make the determination, and you really cannot blame the fans and their negativity for QBs not working out in Buffalo. None of these guys had any real success after leaving Buffalo (i.e., Collins, Johnson, JP and Edwards).

I understand that he has not played a full season yet, but EJ shows a number of characteristics that are worrisome. Holds the ball too long, does not seem to have pocket presence, and he is not decisive.

The difference yesterday was the QB play. Both defenses were effective against the run, but Rivers found a way to make plays. Our defense is above average, but it is not dominating. Going forward, opposing teams will try to shut down our rushing attack and let EJ try to beat them. EJ will need to be more than a game manager if the Bills are to make the playoffs. He will need to be able to give the team confidence that if they get behind by more than a touchdown, he can bring them back.

As I posted in another thread, almost all of the other superbowl winning QBs in the modern era had to develop over their first few seasons, but it seems people forget that in this era where Russell Wilson, and to a lesser extent, Luck/Kaepernick/RGIII, have had early success. It's a win now league, if you aren't an immediate success, you're a bust. If you don't coach to immediate success, you're a failure.

Yah that's not really true. Are we still going to be citing Drew Brees ten years from now, pretending like he wasn't a big exception to the rule (kinda like the "you don't need a QB" people did with the 2000 Ravens for so long)?

http://grantland.com/features/the-question-of-ryan-tannehill/

I know EJ isn't at 25 games yet but it doesn't look good at 'halftime'.

The three injuries last yr are one reason he doesn't have more games, which, while it doesn't seem fair to 'punish' him for...it's a red flag that there was no obvious drop-off with Thad freaking Lewis. And it appears to have made him gunshy about ever running (maybe this is the coaches, who knows).