Former #1 Draft Pick to "Leader of the Charge" at RWS Sunday

r00tabaga

:lol: I'd like to see Joe Ferguson involved in something like this. All this "Kelly tough" stuff forgets that Joe beat cancer twice long before Kelly did. And unlike Kelly he seems to have been forgotten in Buffalo.

I love Fergy... but I am afraid him being "forgotten about" is in part just the passing of time. He hasn't taken a snap in a Bills uniform in 30 years. Us old-timers remember him vividly, but time marches on.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am sure the 2014 Bills squad will play less inspired ball because Lee Evans is "leading the charge" :rolleyes:

Ultimately, you are correct. It doesnt really matter, and I'll be cheering my head off on Sunday no matter who it is. Just thought it was a weird choice and was sucked in by the question "Who else would I rather have?" and then had fun trying to come up with old Bills. :thumbsup:

edit: I think what I would rather see is that when the Bills finally do make the playoffs, they bring back all the talented players from those mediocre teams and have them there to share the experience as well. But until that happens, there's still a culture to change.

Edited by DrDareustein

I think its cool they bring back these guys, and I am a big Lee Evans fan, so great!

. i think the best one is Keven Everett.

My suggestions from some earlier eras

Fergy

Ken Jones

Bobby Chandler

Charlie Romes

Roland Hooks

Robb Riddick

Lucious Sanford

Sherm White

Tom Cousineau(got us Jimbo)

Guess the problem with these guys is the younger generation would be like "who the hell are these guys"?

Edited by plenzmd1

I don't think the players probably care who leads the charge. It's for the fans, and Evans was a popular player here.

With the Pegulas you will see more focus on alumni. Remember he held a massive event where every former Sabre they could get walked the red carpet? Expect a similar tribute for the Bills. Personally I can't wait to see Billy Joe Hobert again. :w00t:

Im all for that too! Bring me back Carwell Gardner, Leon Seals, and Darick Holmes! While Im thinking about it, add Bryce Paup to my previous list!

Love these. Just said Gardner myself, and had thought about Leonard Smith too. Kenny Davis FOR SURE!! Have Thurman AND Davis up there, considering Freddy and CJ came out as 1 player last week!

Kenny Davis is a Mac Daddy. I would go apes%#t if Kenny led the team out. One of my all time favorite Bills.

Edited by Last Guy on the Bench

Lee was a great player and a great person. Im not denying or saying otherwise. And I wouldve loved to see him out there leading the charge, but maybe AFTER we get back to the playoffs.

Unfortunately, Lee Evans (and some other very good players like Schoebel, Spikes, etc) were part of some bad/mediocre teams that were so recent, we are still trying to move past them. I just think the timing is off for what the Bills are trying to do and the message they are trying to send.

Not my fault we have a very limited list of Winners to choose from. :nana:

Like I said, Id love to see some of these other, more recent Bills up there, just not yet.

I think the message they're trying to send is that once a Bill always a Bill. No reason not to have Lee do it. He played well for the most part and was always good in the community too. Everybody can't be a HOF or WOF. I'm glad to see he's back.

With the Pegulas you will see more focus on alumni. Remember he held a massive event where every former Sabre they could get walked the red carpet? Expect a similar tribute for the Bills. Personally I can't wait to see Billy Joe Hobert again. :w00t:

Will he bring his playbook?

It would be pretty cool. We always see the "stars" like Kelly, Reed, etc. I would get more of a kick out of seeing these other guys. If Darick Holmes came out there, it would bring the house down!! :D

Don't think we'll see Darick Holmes leading the charge anytime soon!

http://m.goingconcern.com/2010/3/former-nfl-player-avoids-prison-for-tax-fraud

:lol: I'd like to see Joe Ferguson involved in something like this. All this "Kelly tough" stuff forgets that Joe beat cancer twice long before Kelly did. And unlike Kelly he seems to have been forgotten in Buffalo.

The only problem with Fergy leading the charge is that if something goes wrong with the flag he'd hang his head and that would be very deflating.

A Buffalo Bills press release noted that this will be Lee Evans' first time in the middle of the field. It is a bit like seeing a unicorn.

This is better than the double coverage myth.

Lee was elite at running under a long ball- nothing more, nothing less. He would have had a better career paired up with a good possession guy and great strong armed QB. Even though JP wasn't successful long term, he and lee clicked due to his cannon arm. Favre and Evans would have been a match made in heaven.

It's disappointing that many in this thread denigrate Lee Evans. He was a great receiver stuck on a bad team with bad quarterbacking. Unfortunately, his final two seasons in Buffalo and Baltimore were below par, but he still put up some very impressive numbers.

Career stats for Lee Evans, Jerry Rice, and Andre Reed, catches, yds, avg, TD's, TD%

Evans 381 6008 15.8 83 11%

Rice 1549 22895 14.8 197 13%

Reed 951 13198 13.9 87 9%

As you can see, Lee had a higher YPC in 9 seasons than 2 HOF'ers, with a comparable TD%. Not his fault we had JP, Trentative, and Kelly Holcomb throwing the rock (was Shane Matthews in there?). Lee Evans deserves better from us as Bills fans.

YPC is not a stat that gets someone into the hall of fame. Lee was only good at running straight down the field and catching the occasional bomb. Thats why his career didnt last.

Evans was on the downhill part of his career when he was traded, but I had the sense that the Bills were trying to do right by him by sending him to a playoff-caliber team to give him a shot at least once. It was clear the Bills weren't going to get Evans to the SB. If Evans had held on to a particular pass from Flacco it might have worked out, too. (Actually I think the defender knocked the ball out of Evans' hands, so it wasn't a drop.)

You are absolutely correct that the Bills should honor Joe Ferguson. He deserves much more credit that he has received.

I love Fergy... but I am afraid him being "forgotten about" is in part just the passing of time. He hasn't taken a snap in a Bills uniform in 30 years. Us old-timers remember him vividly, but time marches on.

Well it's been 18 years for Kelly. Not like it was yesterday.

The only problem with Fergy leading the charge is that if something goes wrong with the flag he'd hang his head and that would be very deflating.

Yeah hang dog Joe :lol: But he gave us some good times too. Sure more then Lee Evens.

I would like to see Takeo Spikes come back. Nice connection with his cousin playing for us right now too. Another good one would be Pat Williams

Pat Williams and/or Ted Washington would be great. Since we're talking fat guys, throw Sam Adams in there too!

Edited by DrDareustein