Red zone troubles

thewildrabbit

WGR 550 All 22 break down of how the Bills successfully took Dolphin Pass rusher Cameron Wake out of the game. Its worth a read, good stuff.

http://www.wgr550.com/All-22-Review-Bills-Dolphins/19916559

Also, Interesting reads from both ESPN & Pro Football Focus. Lots of fans here posted their disdain for the signing of OG Chris Williams, and I suppose most hoped that Cryil Richardson would be able to become a starter when the season began. You want answers...you want answers? I want the truth!

"In six red-zone runs Sunday, Fred Jackson gained zero yards. Re-watching each play, the culprits were breakdowns across the offensive line. The first four runs were out of the shotgun with a zone-read element.

However, left guard Chris Williams couldn't hold his block on two of those Jackson runs, and center Eric Wood and right tackle Seantrel Henderson each had problems on separate plays. The result was Dolphins defenders in the backfield and little space for Jackson to run. "

http://espn.go.com/blog/buffalo-bills/post/_/id/13307/quick-fix-bills-in-red-zone

MORE,

Chris Williams, LG and Eric Wood, C: Combined -7.3

Breakdown: Williams and Wood were two of the biggest reasons for the Bills’ struggles on the ground. On numerous occasions they were overpowered and allowed penetration into the backfield. Outside of a 47-yard run by Spiller, the offense averaged just 2 yards per carry. Williams also allowed a hit and a hurry in pass protection.

Signature Stat: The Bills gained just three rushing yards before contact on 15 carries running through the three gaps adjacent to Williams and Wood.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2014/09/15/refo-dolphins-bills-week-2/

My take is Williams is dragging down Wood, and I doubt he is getting any help on the other side. Bottom line is that although the Bills have done a decent job of giving EJ time to make his throws, and have won the first two games. There are still problems concerning the redzone, and more specifically the OG position. I question how well the current line will hold up against a top defensive unit. The Bills have upcoming games against Houston, Detroit (Suh), New England (V Wilfork), NY Jets. Not properly replacing Levitre is still haunting this team.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well now, I guess the obvious question to ask is WHY did the Bills' coaches keep going back to the same type runs, even though they were getting stuffed? It ain't Rocket Science out there, but OTOH, you have to be smart enough to realize what's happening right in front of your face, and if needed, MAKE A CHANGE. Great job guys (the OC & Maroon)!

The Bills are running low risk plays in the red zone, figuring they can win getting 3's with our D.

Low risk is one thing. Running the same type plays, that are failing miserably, over & over again, is IMHO, incompetence.

WGR 550 All 22 break down of how the Bills successfully took Dolphin Pass rusher Cameron Wake out of the game. Its worth a read, good stuff.

http://www.wgr550.co...lphins/19916559

Also, Interesting reads from both ESPN & Pro Football Focus. Lots of fans here posted their disdain for the signing of OG Chris Williams, and I suppose most hoped that Cryil Richardson would be able to become a starter when the season began. You want answers...you want answers? I want the truth!

"In six red-zone runs Sunday, Fred Jackson gained zero yards. Re-watching each play, the culprits were breakdowns across the offensive line. The first four runs were out of the shotgun with a zone-read element.

However, left guard Chris Williams couldn't hold his block on two of those Jackson runs, and center Eric Wood and right tackle Seantrel Henderson each had problems on separate plays. The result was Dolphins defenders in the backfield and little space for Jackson to run. "

http://espn.go.com/b...lls-in-red-zone

MORE,

Chris Williams, LG and Eric Wood, C: Combined -7.3

Breakdown: Williams and Wood were two of the biggest reasons for the Bills’ struggles on the ground. On numerous occasions they were overpowered and allowed penetration into the backfield. Outside of a 47-yard run by Spiller, the offense averaged just 2 yards per carry. Williams also allowed a hit and a hurry in pass protection.

Signature Stat: The Bills gained just three rushing yards before contact on 15 carries running through the three gaps adjacent to Williams and Wood.

https://www.profootb...s-bills-week-2/

My take is Williams is dragging down Wood, and I doubt he is getting any help on the other side. Bottom line is that although the Bills have done a decent job of giving EJ time to make his throws, and have won the first two games. There are still problems concerning the redzone, and more specifically the OG position. I question how well the current line will hold up against a top defensive unit. The Bills have upcoming games against Houston, Detroit (Suh), New England (V Wilfork), NY Jets. Not properly replacing Levitre is still haunting this team.

Eric Wood is just an average center and in the redzone his inability to get low and gain leverage is a problem for the running game. He has two levels, upright or on his belly.

Williams is even less capable of getting low and he really struggles physically but he is just so huge......and intelligent.......that he does a pretty fair job between the 20's where DL are playing more upright.

Basically this line is built to pass protect and run between the 20's.

Ultimately the redzone problems mostly come down to EJ's accuracy. The line isn't built to move the LOS in the redzone but he has had pretty good protection so it's not like he has been running for his life.....but he just misses too many easy throws. In the Dolphins game....first he missed an easy first down conversion to Woods in the redzone and then on the subsequent drive he missed Sammy on a wide open TD and then threw a ball that Sammy had to fall down to catch on a play that would have been an easy redzone first down conversion.....all in the second quarter. He played really poorly in the second quarter in general. Tannehill missed his share of throws too but that's not an excuse. Tannehill is very inconsistent.

I think this team needs help from WRs going the distance (eliminating the red zone factor all together) of which we have a few of those with that ability. I also think that they need to start calling EJs number and have him running off fakes until defenses stop loading up on the runs by RBs. Finally, stop with that fade corner pattern and start using picks, misdirection plays with a delayed release by the TE, Mike Williams sky jump patterns over the middle and Watkins ankle snap jukes 1 yard into the end zone.

Stop just running the ball up the middle on first and second. We have the talent to have a very good red zone TD percentage. It will come in time, hopefully this is the week.

We had no need to risk an INT in the red zone last week. There are no red zone troubles.

And if people are basing these allegations on preseason ... don't.

For someone to cite EJ's accuracy as the problem is indicative of either a crusade or a lack of understanding of the Bills/football.

Well now, I guess the obvious question to ask is WHY did the Bills' coaches keep going back to the same type runs, even though they were getting stuffed? It ain't Rocket Science out there, but OTOH, you have to be smart enough to realize what's happening right in front of your face, and if needed, MAKE A CHANGE. Great job guys (the OC & Maroon)!

Low risk is one thing. Running the same type plays, that are failing miserably, over & over again, is IMHO, incompetence.

Yes, they're awful, hence us being one of the top scoring teams in the league these first two weeks...

http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?tabSeq=2&season=2014&seasonType=REG&offensiveStatisticCategory=GAME_STATS&role=TM&d-447263-n=1&d-447263-o=2&d-447263-p=1&conference=ALL&d-447263-s=TOTAL_POINTS_SCORED

Yes, they're awful, hence us being one of the top scoring teams in the league these first two weeks...

http://www.nfl.com/s...L_POINTS_SCORED

Yes, the ONE offensive TD vs. the Fish was quite a display of offensive firepower /offensive play calling! <Rolls Eyes> At this rate, Carpenter will be one of the highest scorers in the league, amongst ALL players, not just kickers.

Yes, the ONE offensive TD vs. the Fish was quite a display of offensive firepower /offensive play calling! <Rolls Eyes> At this rate, Carpenter will be one of the highest scorers in the league, amongst ALL players, not just kickers.

John (can I call you John?), I'm assuming you watched the game. Was there any situation in which the Bills were in the red zone and you felt they NEEDED to score a touchdown? I can't recall one, personally.

Is it safe to say that, knowing the Bills' D was in complete control of the game and it was obvious the Dolphins couldn't move the ball, had EJ thrown an interception in the red zone that you (and other EJ hate crusaders) would have said, "HOW CAN HE THROW THAT PASS??? JUST KILL THE CLOCK AND PUT POINTS ON THE BOARD!!!!" ??

I think it is.

You - and your fellow anti-EJ club (do you guys, like, have the same tattoo, and stuff?) - are going to criticize EJ when he plays well in a win (which he has done in the first two meaningful games of the season) and then you'll say, "I told you so," when he has a bad game. By the way ... they all have bad games. Not just EJ.

It's old. It's boring. Luckily, I'm bored enough right now to respond to your unreasonable, unsubstantiated and - sorry - idiotic criticism of a young QB who has done very well in his 11th and 12th career games (wins, in case you don't know).

Go Bills!

We had no need to risk an INT in the red zone last week. There are no red zone troubles.

And if people are basing these allegations on preseason ... don't.

For someone to cite EJ's accuracy as the problem is indicative of either a crusade or a lack of understanding of the Bills/football.

Not sure we know yet but I wouldn't say there are none, just as I wouldn't call them certain. Heck, even our 1 offensive td might have been a turnover. We struggled last year and haven't proven we've turned the corner.

Not sure we know yet but I wouldn't say there are none, just as I wouldn't call them certain. Heck, even our 1 offensive td might have been a turnover. We struggled last year and haven't proven we've turned the corner.

In two wins to start the season; EJ has 2 passing TDs and one rushing TD in the red zone. If I'm wrong, please correct me (I mean that seriously, not snottily). I can't see how that indicates a problem.

In two wins to start the season; EJ has 2 passing TDs and one rushing TD in the red zone. If I'm wrong, please correct me (I mean that seriously, not snottily). I can't see how that indicates a problem.

I was simply saying it hasn't been put to bed. We've been playing well, but like I was saying last week we scored once and could've had that been called a turnover. I can't say it was a great day for the offense putting up TDs. Could be an abnormal game, but if it's the norm to lean on carpenter that heavily we may have some tough games.

3 tds in 2 games isn't an overwhelming offensive output. Acceptable but hopefully it starts trending up

Edited by NoSaint

Eric Wood is just an average center and in the redzone his inability to get low and gain leverage is a problem for the running game. He has two levels, upright or on his belly.

Williams is even less capable of getting low and he really struggles physically but he is just so huge......and intelligent.......that he does a pretty fair job between the 20's where DL are playing more upright.

Basically this line is built to pass protect and run between the 20's.

Ultimately the redzone problems mostly come down to EJ's accuracy. The line isn't built to move the LOS in the redzone but he has had pretty good protection so it's not like he has been running for his life.....but he just misses too many easy throws. In the Dolphins game....first he missed an easy first down conversion to Woods in the redzone and then on the subsequent drive he missed Sammy on a wide open TD and then threw a ball that Sammy had to fall down to catch on a play that would have been an easy redzone first down conversion.....all in the second quarter. He played really poorly in the second quarter in general. Tannehill missed his share of throws too but that's not an excuse. Tannehill is very inconsistent.

IMO, the issue about EJ's accuracy has been completely blown out of proportion...to the point of almost being ridiculous. Breakdown the game tape of just about any QB in the league and you will find similar plays. As an aside, regarding the missed pass to a wide open Watkins: How in the world can you be so certain that Watkins wasn't supposed to take that route more to the inside?

You - and your fellow anti-EJ club (do you guys, like, have the same tattoo, and stuff?) - are going to criticize EJ when he plays well in a win (which he has done in the first two meaningful games of the season) and then you'll say, "I told you so," when he has a bad game. By the way ... they all have bad games. Not just EJ.

Wow. I did not say ONE WORD about EJ in this thread, but somebody else did, yet YOU reply to me, and chastise me for something I didn't do. That's amazing. Why didn't you reply to badobeelz?

IN THIS THREAD, my ire is at the coaches for their idiotic & non-responsive play calling. And truth be told, had they mixed it up, and run some play actions, or some other "safe" pass plays, EJ would probably had a few more TD passes in that game.