To all of the EJ bashers

DirtDart

Yesterday should not come as a shock at all. The Bills lost to a better team with a MUCH better QB. I don't think we knew anything more about EJ after the first two games as we did yesterday. I still have no idea what to make of EJ. I know he's not terrible and I know he's not the answer yet. The major concern I have right now is that without turnovers, I don't think EJ is good enough to beat a really good D and he's also not good enough to keep up with a really good offense like San Diego. If that continues to be the case, the Bills will most likely never hit that 10 win playoff mark.

True enough. But as a reminder, Rivers didn't even start until his third year in the NFL. He didn't become a good starter until his 5th year.

EJ's rating is 90.8. Rivers' rating his 1st year starting (3rd year in the league) was 92. Rivers' rating his 2nd year starting was 82. Then things finally clicked. His rating has been over 100 five of the next 7 years.

Personally, I'm going to be patient in my judgement of EJ.

http://www.nfl.com/player/philiprivers/2506121/careerstats

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, Kyle Orton. Orton utilizes his receivers and isn't afraid to throw the ball. I believe that with our talent and Ortons willingness and talent that he could generate more production than EJ. I firmly believe that. I'm a big Orton fan actually.

He's only 31 too. Quarterbacks older than that have turned out to be real solutions for teams over a several year period.

When it comes to QB ratings, do longer passes get more ratings points than 2 yard dump offs, or are they all rated the same?

The YPA is a factor in calculating the QBR......so yes, the longer passes count more.

Can somebody please explain the Bills last series of the game? Four attempts from the 11, Chargers back ups in, zero completions. Was there one ball thrown where a receiver had a remote chance of catching?

Fwiw, I'm pretty certain that Manuel has not completed a pass inside the end zone since the Ravens game last year except for one garbage time, last-second TD to Chris Gragg against the Steelers. All of the TD passes he's had have been dump-offs to RBs who ran in the EZ or passes short of the goal line in which the receiver ran it in. He did complete one EZ TD pass in preseason against a second string squad, but none against a starting defense.

I raise this because he looks both overly cautious in the endzone area and very inaccurate. Yesterday, when they were down 22-10 with under 40 seconds to go, he has to throw the ball in the end zone. If they score, they can try an onside kick, and if they get it they'll have 2-3 chances to make a toss to the endzone. Victory isn't likely, but the way he played - dumpoff after dumpoff - didn't give them the slightest chance.

I'm trying not to read too much into one game, but he did not like a capable NFL QB yesterday. I hope his accuracy improves, but I have some real doubts. QB inaccuracy on deeper throws is a killer. He's bound to hit some (luck and the law of averages), but at the rate he's going he's going to kill them in games where they have to pass a lot.

Can somebody please explain the Bills last series of the game? Four attempts from the 11, Chargers back ups in, zero completions. Was there one ball thrown where a receiver had a remote chance of catching?

That was inexcusable and borderline cowardly QB play, in my opinion. He has to do better on the EZ throws, and he should have been throwing that way when they were at around the 20 yard line given the time left.

Edited by dave mcbride

He's only 31 too. Quarterbacks older than that have turned out to be real solutions for teams over a several year period.

I'm concerned about this season.

In the past 5 years all new QBs who are successes have shown more than EJ. EJ isn't the worst bust ever like Blaine Gabbert but he is the next Locker. Im just hoping we don't give him the amount of time Locker has received.

It is my opinion. He has scatter shot accuracy and prefers to check down to often. Again, it is my opinion -- but in this era he's had 13 games and 0 over 300 yards...that's concerning.

If he doesn't play well against Houston its not time to sacrifice the season, it's time for Orton.

Yeah, Kyle Orton. Orton utilizes his receivers and isn't afraid to throw the ball. I believe that with our talent and Ortons willingness and talent that he could generate more production than EJ. I firmly believe that. I'm a big Orton fan actually.

I agree. When the apologists are on their heels they tell you that EJ only needs to be a game manager.

Actually they are right, but the problem is that good game managers are hard to find and EJ probably lacks the ability to be a good game manager.

Orton is a bona fide game manager and IMO could be very successful with the tools at his disposal.

If the O can play well, the whole dynamic for the team changes and I believe we could make a run this year.

With EJ under center it's just not happening this year and perhaps ever.

Re-watched the game. Didn't look any better. Despite shaky O Line play, EJ had time and options to use to move the ball. Save for a few impressive escapes and a bullet on 3rd and long, he was dreadful. Not saying we move on, but understand as much as this was a "team" loss, it was still very winnable into the 4th quarter. And if Rivers or the like were playing for us, I think we pull it out. The rush reverts him to an indecisive, panicky arm thrower with happy feet. Frustrating to see him not run when he should and to throw with such inaccuracy. He doesn't look scared, just panicky. Pulling him now would be a disaster. He needs to play his way through this and that's the only true move we have. So, at least 14 more weeks to go (be nice to play in January...who knows?) and we'll know a lot more about where we are. Until then, we should look at him as a work in progress but reserve the right to B word when he plays like he did Sunday.

Re-watched the game. Didn't look any better. Despite shaky O Line play, EJ had time and options to use to move the ball. Save for a few impressive escapes and a bullet on 3rd and long, he was dreadful. Not saying we move on, but understand as much as this was a "team" loss, it was still very winnable into the 4th quarter. And if Rivers or the like were playing for us, I think we pull it out. The rush reverts him to an indecisive, panicky arm thrower with happy feet. Frustrating to see him not run when he should and to throw with such inaccuracy. He doesn't look scared, just panicky. Pulling him now would be a disaster. He needs to play his way through this and that's the only true move we have. So, at least 14 more weeks to go (be nice to play in January...who knows?) and we'll know a lot more about where we are. Until then, we should look at him as a work in progress but reserve the right to B word when he plays like he did Sunday.

I saw this yesterday also.

I also don't think ARivers played an outstanding game. Had a few big throws (first drive especially), but I still think he looks like he's throwing a shot put out there. The next tight spiral he throws at the Ralph will be his first. Still, our DBs were useless.

Kyle Orton is not much different than Fitz. Fitz was the guy we basically ran out of town because he took chances, heh.

That was inexcusable and borderline cowardly QB play, in my opinion. He has to do better on the EZ throws, and he should have been throwing that way when they were at around the 20 yard line given the time left.

Borderline is being kind. The whole point to get Watkins was to give EJ a super weapon, and he didn't even look his way on the last four throws. WRs body language was huge. Sammy was jogging, while Caveman looked exasperated. Yet he even looked decent with Glennon before he got hurt.

:thumbsup:

I always DVR games and rewatch them if I can. In particular, it is a great way to focus on o-line and d-line play.

Kyle Orton is not much different than Fitz. Fitz was the guy we basically ran out of town because he took chances, heh.

I respectfully disagree.

Fitz is a risk taker with bad accuracy. Orton is calculated and has better accuracy. Theyre not the same guy.

The problem:

I watched the game yesterday and was struck by the multiple missed opportunities by our 'young' QB. There were opportunities to make plays that resulted, instead, in inaccurate throws and/or missed receivers. All kudos to SD for playing a smart game. But I couldn't help to agree with the announcers that the chances for EJ and the Bills were there. I thought to myself many times, geez [insert a dozen QB names], would have made that play. The Bills could have won that game.

The solution:

Start him a couple more games and if/when he falters sit him in favor of Orton. Let him watch and learn. This would be the best thing for his development. While there's no guarantee he truly has the instincts to be a winning NFL QB, this approach at least keeps his psyche intact and allows him to grow for possible future usefulness. You can't teach 6' 5" and 4.6 speed. You can arguably teach throwing mechanics and field awareness (maybe). This approach presupposes the right QB coach. Am not sure if the Bills have the guy currently employed? Maybe Frank Reich has the skills to help EJ find the light?

The future:

Without a #1 draft pick there may not be a sure fire franchise available QB in next year's draft. In the 2014 season let's see what Orton has and hand EJ the clipboard. If Orton isn't the guy, pick up a quality FA next year who can play. In any event, DO NOT force a draft pick again based on desperation (e.g EJ at #16 when he was a projected 2nd/3rd rounder). The Bills FO needs to do a better job of scouting potential 'real deals'. Have a plan to draft the right guy, even if it takes a year of patience to find him.