To all of the EJ bashers

DirtDart

EJ was really terrible today. Even the most ardent EJ supporter has to admit that. 7 for 21 on passes to receivers? He needs a good road outing next week to keep the critics at bay. I am pulling for the kid, but he needs to grab victories instead of avoiding defeats. There is a difference.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Really weird? That people understand the word as it is commonly used in modern English language? As in synonymous with "campaigner, propagandist, cheerleader"?

You're being more than a little disingenuous....

No, not at all. Apart from the concept that I am a big believer in using the best words for communicative purposes, the only place I have come across the term "apologist" is here on the board.

That doesn't mean to say that you are wrong, as it may well be used all over the place in that context. It means that I personally have not come across it in the manner you speak of.....and I would very much appreciate the benefit of doubt in future before you jump to conclusions and call me disingenuous.

Except you dont know that you have a bad QB.....the only thing you know is that your young QB had a bad game.

A good point.

Prior to the season, the Bills declared--by word and action--that they were going all in on EJ. I felt (and feel) that that was the wrong approach. But whether the Bills made the right or wrong decision is beside the point--at least for the present. Right now, the Bills have no young QB on the roster--no one to evaluate--except for EJ. The Bills know, or should know, what they have in Kyle Orton. Orton isn't the long-term answer. They should use the remainder of the season to gather more data on Manuel. They gain nothing by allowing Manuel/Orton to turn into another Losman/Holcomb situation.

Manuel should remain the starter for the rest of the season. Then in the offseason, the Bills should look at the data, and realistically assess what they have or don't have in Manuel. If their degree of confidence in him is low, they should make it a high priority to bring in some other QB of the future. (Even if there's still some chance of Manuel panning out.) They should also bear in mind that it's better to wait a year or two for the right prospect, than it is to jump at the first guy who seems halfway credible.

But--again--none of this should be decided until the offseason. That will give Manuel plenty of chances to show whether the Chargers game was an anomaly or the real deal.

A good point.

Prior to the season, the Bills declared--by word and action--that they were going all in on EJ. I felt (and feel) that that was the wrong approach. But whether the Bills made the right or wrong decision is beside the point--at least for the present. Right now, the Bills have no young QB on the roster--no one to evaluate--except for EJ. The Bills know, or should know, what they have in Kyle Orton. Orton isn't the long-term answer. They should use the remainder of the season to gather more data on Manuel. They gain nothing by allowing Manuel/Orton to turn into another Losman/Holcomb situation.

Manuel should remain the starter for the rest of the season. Then in the offseason, the Bills should look at the data, and realistically assess what they have or don't have in Manuel. If their degree of confidence in him is low, they should make it a high priority to bring in some other QB of the future. (Even if there's still some chance of Manuel panning out.) They should also bear in mind that it's better to wait a year or two for the right prospect, than it is to jump at the first guy who seems halfway credible.

But--again--none of this should be decided until the offseason. That will give Manuel plenty of chances to show whether the Chargers game was an anomaly or the real deal.

Totally agree. I am not an EJ fan but he needs the rest of the season to prove if he worth being the starter for the foreseeable future.

Even if he does we should draft a solid QB next year for quality backup or someone to push EJ.

I have officially fallen off the Manuel wagon today. I'm convinced he's another Edwards in the making. Hope the Dougs are telling Orton to get his arm loose- their tenures with the Bills may end up falling on the shoulders of Orton. Manuel just lacks that "it" quality that elite QBs have... a realization that struck me watching this dreadful performance.

Sadly this is what his college career was. Some good some bad and a lot of OK. Nix just had to get us a QB before he stepped down. He should have just stuck with his board and not drafted a QB unless it was latter on in the draft.

The weird thing is that by going so conservative... they really aren't. Either let him play when the situation calls for it, or give the job to a game manager QB.

Their overall approach seems to be to diminish the importance of the QB position as much as possible. To win with defense, a good running game, and a positive turnover ratio. Even with all that, the QB will still need to make plays. Which is why the Bills gave Manuel a receiving corps of Watkins, Woods, and Williams. These are guys who can outplay their defensive counterparts. Guys who make Manuel's life a lot easier.

Seattle is a good example of a team which succeeded in implementing the broad strategic vision the Bills seem to have. Due to the Seahawks' dominance at non-QB positions, Russell Wilson doesn't have to be a hero for that team to win games. He just has to make the throws which are there.

As for Manuel, he will first have to prove he can succeed in this limited, game manager role, before the Bills decide to ask him to do more.

With the _____ pick in the 2nd round, the Buffalo Bills select, Shane Carden, Quarterback, East Carolina. The Bills also announced to the league that the two headed beast, known only as #10 & #14 has been unleashed and there is no way to contain them.

Or Connor Cook.

haven't seen Carden but heard he put up big numbers Saturday.

You mean like when Andrew Luck got his receiver killed with a throw in last weeks colts game?

You are acting like QBs never do this

So you dont think after 12 games they dont have enough film?

Once again I ask (and it doesnt seem to be answered) if the code has been cracked on EJ and if he is so doomed.....then why wasnt this done in the 1st two games.

This is EJ's second year (even if he doesnt have 16 starts)

When the topic is accuracy, comparing EJ and Luck is comical.

EJ will be given the whole year to evaluate wether he is our future or not. That being said, here's what I see that I don't like:

1. His athleticism is vastly overrated. For a guy with a size similar to Cam, he doesnt have 25% of the athletic ability of Cam, Kap or Wilson. Watch those guys, especially Wilson, he usually decides to run very quickly, there isnt any hesitation, he see's the D is giving him the run and he takes it. The other 2 can use the read option to make up for what they lack as passers. They bring 500-800 yards rushing, but with EJ we have to be worried about him getting hurt as if he's some 38 year old Bledsoe not a 240lb, 24 year old. We have an inside handoff with no read or option.

2. I agree with what Jimbo said during the telecast, EJ needs to step into the throws, too often it looks like he's aiming it.

3. On the screens, he doesnt suck the D in enough, he throws it too quickly and its usually lofted too much, allowing the opposing team time to get to the RB.

4. He does have a little Trentative in him, too quick to go to the checkdown. But those dump offs help his completion %.

5. The deep ball is just not his strong suit, nor is throwing over the middle into tight windows......not good going forward.

6. Not sure about him going to his 2nd and 3rd options on routes, he does seem to frequently lock in on a guy. Also not sure about his situational awareness.

So it seems if the D has a plus 2 or 3 in the turnover battle and we rush for close to 200 yards a game we can win with EJ. To that I say you can with just about anybody at QB.

As for his development, what I want to see is a 350 yard 3 TD game and soon. Weve surrounded him with a good stable of RBs, the 1st WR in the draft, an early 2nd round WR and a 3rd WR who has put up 1000 yard seasons with double digit TDs. Chandler is adequate. This isnt your Daddy's NFL where blowing up the WR over the middle was a great play by the D, now its a hit on a defenseless receiver and the drive continues, defensive holding, blows to the head we all know about. I dont think putting up one of those games in asking too much. That would be development. The 225 yard, 1TD game....look at the box scores anybody can put up those numbers.

Totally agree. I am not an EJ fan but he needs the rest of the season to prove if he worth being the starter for the foreseeable future.

Even if he does we should draft a solid QB next year for quality backup or someone to push EJ.

He's not going to get the luxury of having the rest of the season to prove himself. The Dougs necks are on the line, and if they feel EJ does not give them the best opportunity to win NOW, there is no doubt in my mind he is on a short leash, they are going to switch things up, and I have to believe EJ's days are numbered.

EJ consistently throws the ball behind and high to his receivers. Its on him that Goodwin almost got killed On a 5 yard crossing pattern the ball was thrown high and behind Goodwin. This is just one example. That's a basic throw. A competent QB must consistently put the ball in front of the receiver near the hands in stride in the direction the receiver is running. It doesn't get any more basic. That all said the offensive line didn't do EJ an favors yesterday. You have to be able to pick up a basic line stunt and hold a block now and then but once in a while you need to make a good throw under pressure.

You can't teach accuracy. And that's a problem. If fans want to believe time and experience is going to correct accuracy problems I fear they are mistaken. Experience give you recognition, composure, and awareness, and knowledge. And most troubling is the head coach pretending this isn't a problem when commenting after the game. If Marrone really believe his QB had a good game then his judgment is faulty. He's more likely just covering for EJ.

EJ is a likeable person and someone you root for but I've concluded he simply doesn't have 'IT'.

Edited by All_Pro_Bills

It was another efficient, above average performance. We all said it, if EJ could play like this we have the talent on the team to win.He can still improve, he had that one horrible drive where he was lucky not to get picked on both 2nd and 3rd down, but other than that I was impressed.

You have got to be kidding Mrs. Manuel. It is nice to defend you son, but he did nothing today that impressed anyone knowledgable about that game.

Bills got the ball with about 1:45 down 2 scores. Improbable to pull out a victory from there? YES. Impossible? NO. They dinked and dunked it down the field padding EJ's completiton and yardage stats and finally took a shot at the end zone with under 10 seconds. What does this tell you about the coaches confidence in EJ pushing the ball down field and what message does it send to future oppenents as they game plan? No confidence whatsoever is the message.