Eagles player leaves 20 cent tip at restaurant

Addressing McCoy is step two, which follows step one; make sure you have easy access to your firearm.

LoL... Thanks, I just spit all over my phone. Point noted.

Maybe I am just getting old, but the younger gen is notorious bad @ tipping, yet they want everything! Isn't tipping like tithing (sp). This being, those that can afford give a little more so everybody can have the benefit of enjoying some part of the service. If you can afford to give more, aren't you helping the person who can't? That way, most people across the social spectrum can enjoy the service that is provided.

I would think, McCoy is in the "I can afford to give more" category. Again by doing so, he's helping others who may not be able to give as much in a tip. This keeps the base price of the service lower so most people can enjoy said service.

What part don't these bad tippers get. Are they just gaming the system and taking advantage of the low cost of said product?

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

if they paid servers more .... would there be a need for tipping?

maybe if you went to the same place 2 or 3 times a week you do it because you might get something from the waiter/bartender.

as long as the service was half decent as the food

I pay 15% typically

Edited by BillsFan-4-Ever

LoL... Thanks, I just spit all over my phone. Point noted.

Maybe I am just getting old, but the younger gen is notorious bad @ tipping, yet they want everything! Isn't tipping like tithing (sp). This being, those that can afford give a little more so everybody can have the benefit of enjoying some part of the service. If you can afford to give more, aren't you helping the person who can't? That way, most people across the social spectrum can enjoy the service that is provided.

I would think, McCoy is in the "I can afford to give more" category. Again by doing so, he's helping others who may not be able to give as much in a tip. This keeps the base price of the service lower so most people can enjoy said service.

What part don't these bad tippers get. Are they just gaming the system and taking advantage of the low cost of said product?

You know, I'm 36 and I consider myself a decent tipper, like last night the wife and I went for dinner and it was like $17.75 and we left like a $5.25 tip. It shouldn't be a big deal to tip a little more as long as the service is decent. These people depend on these tips to survive. I won't argue the whole pay them more thing, but if they put in the effort I know my wife and I will always leave a decent tip

People just don't care anymore.

I would think, McCoy is in the "I can afford to give more" category.

I haven't spent much time on the details of this situation, but for what it's worth, in my own experience, people who are just cheap do 1 of 2 things: they either leave nothing, or they calculate the tip based on the pre-taxed sale (this, to me, is the cheapest of the cheap). People who had bad service typically do 1 of 2 things, leave nothing or leave a penny. For all my years in food service, getting a penny tip was the ultimate 'everything sucked' notice.

The fact that he went so far as to specifically give twenty cents suggests to me that his service was bad.

Bottom line: a lot of things could have been done here. What the owner did was the dumbest of them all.

Back in my waiter days during college I had a family of 6 that would come in every single Friday night just before we closed the kitchen. Their bill almost always was between $80-100 because none of them drank alcohol (I would have to re-fill their sodas a million times though).

Every week they would leave me a dollar bill and one of those "have you heard the good news?" Jesus pamphlets. My boss was aware, but he would never have said anything to them as they were loyal, paying customers. Just had to bite the bullet and laugh about it.

I personally don't like the whole concept of tipping.

People in the service industry (Wait Staff/Bartenders, etc) should be paid a decent wage to do their job. If they do it well, they keep their job and get raises. If not, they get canned.

Customers should not have to decide whether or not a tip is earned.

We were touring around Switzerland and Alsace for a week tipping everywhere we went until finally a waiter told us "this isn't New York, you don't tip here" LOL!

I haven't spent much time on the details of this situation, but for what it's worth, in my own experience, people who are just cheap do 1 of 2 things: they either leave nothing, or they calculate the tip based on the pre-taxed sale (this, to me, is the cheapest of the cheap). People who had bad service typically do 1 of 2 things, leave nothing or leave a penny. For all my years in food service, getting a penny tip was the ultimate 'everything sucked' notice.

The fact that he went so far as to specifically give twenty cents suggests to me that his service was bad.

Bottom line: a lot of things could have been done here. What the owner did was the dumbest of them all.

You mean, the cheapest of the cheap because they follow the standard instructions on "how to tip" in various etiquette books and online guides, which tell you to calculate the tip based on pre-tax cost? And someone who does this is cheaper than someone who leaves nothing at all? Pretzel logic you got there (in addition to ignorance of very common instruction on tipping)

I do agree that $0.20 is an amount that suggested to me he seriously didn't like some aspect of the service and/or the food, and it would behoove the owner to investigate.

I think I actually did see where the owner acknowledged that an appetizer was forgotten and his order of a burger without bun or tomato came slathered in sauce, which, if I had a customer giving me special instructions hold this hold that, I would enquire if he would like the sauce brought on the side or also omitted but that's just me.

Back in my waiter days during college I had a family of 6 that would come in every single Friday night just before we closed the kitchen. Their bill almost always was between $80-100 because none of them drank alcohol (I would have to re-fill their sodas a million times though).

Every week they would leave me a dollar bill and one of those "have you heard the good news?" Jesus pamphlets. My boss was aware, but he would never have said anything to them as they were loyal, paying customers. Just had to bite the bullet and laugh about it.

LOL you're an honest man Johnny Hammersticks. I just might have lied like a rug and started dropping "Praise the Lord" and "Thanks be to Jesus" along with a story on how I'm working my way through Seminary working as a server to see if that upped the tip. Honesty is doubtless the best policy.

You know, I'm 36 and I consider myself a decent tipper, like last night the wife and I went for dinner and it was like $17.75 and we left like a $5.25 tip. It shouldn't be a big deal to tip a little more as long as the service is decent. These people depend on these tips to survive. I won't argue the whole pay them more thing, but if they put in the effort I know my wife and I will always leave a decent tip

People just don't care anymore.

We frequently go out to dinner and order just several appetizers or perhaps an appetizer and one entree, plus a glass of wine, because we aren't big eaters.

I always tip as if we had 2 full meals cuz the servers have to put the same effort as if we did.

I think it's safe to say everyone has personal experience with service industry, whether it be personal or family/close friends so we have all heard personal accounts of crappy tippers.

Debating the idea of tipping automatically aside it can't be argued that it is a part of being a civil human being in our society and seeing the workers do depend on it not tipping or tipping some garbage amount is a super jerk move and if you don't think so then you shouldn't go out to eat or go to bars.

Was it a douche move to make it viral, probably, but the bigger douche move was McCoy's tip. Whether the service was bad or not he should have at least left 15% and if was terrible enough to warrant 20 cents then don't go there any more.

There is no excuse for stiffing on a tip other than just being a failure as a civil and respectful member of our society.

I tip 20+% when service is average or better.

I leave 15% or less for bad service

servers depend upon tips to make the ends meet. Unless service was horrible the man shoudl of plopped down 20%.. from all I read it seem to me they got red carpet treatment

Edited by Snorom