Marrone yells to Russ "go ahead and fire me"

papazoid

News flash sunshine: the coach of the Buffalo Bills is not the boss.

Russ Brandon is, pretty much. He is a marketing and spin guy. His hair probably caught on fire with this shitstorm broke out today. And if he chatted with the PR people and told them to get the word to Marrone to get something positive out there to manage the damage control, Marrone is going to do it.

His expertise is in Xs and Os on a football field. He is not a manager, he has no business experience, nor does he have any idea how to market a major organization like an NFL football team.

In a context like this, he is most certainly NOT the boss. He is a "yes sir" kind of guy. Take my word for it!

Listen dearie. Marrone is a lot further up the food chain than the PR guy. And, believe it or not, HC is a MAJOR management position. It's possible that Whaley asked Marrone to do something, on the advice of PR. Brandon may have. But Brandon's not "the PR dept". The PR dept reports to him. I can almost guarantee you the PR doesn't tell Marrone what to do. If anything, the orders to the other way.

Get your org chart straight,

• Replies 761
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

News flash sunshine: the coach of the Buffalo Bills is not the boss.

Russ Brandon is, pretty much. He is a marketing and spin guy. His hair probably caught on fire with this shitstorm broke out today. And if he chatted with the PR people and told them to get the word to Marrone to get something positive out there to manage the damage control, Marrone is going to do it.

His expertise is in Xs and Os on a football field. He is not a manager, he has no business experience, nor does he have any idea how to market a major organization like an NFL football team.

In a context like this, he is most certainly NOT the boss. He is a "yes sir" kind of guy. Take my word for it!

No I think I won't take your word for it. This pretty much proves he's not a "yes sir" kind of guy. Do you really think that this would sway someone from buying a ticket or purchasing Bills merchandise? Oh God Dougs pissed I don't think I,m going to go to the Pats* game now. What ever!

A caller into WGR with "inside sources" from TC said that the reason Woods got in Marrone's doghouse is because he criticized EJ openly in front of the team. Niceeeee

Seems unlikely as Woods was one of EJ's favorite targets. He had a pretty good rookie season with EJ at QB.

Listen dearie. Marrone is a lot further up the food chain than the PR guy. And, believe it or not, HC is a MAJOR management position. It's possible that Whaley asked Marrone to do something, on the advice of PR. Brandon may have. But Brandon's not "the PR dept". The PR dept reports to him. I can almost guarantee you the PR doesn't tell Marrone what to do. If anything, the orders to the other way.

Get your org chart straight,

Well, the "Dearie" thing made me laugh, so thanks for that. Did you read my comments? I am asserting that PR would have worked in connection with, or been ordered by, Russ. That's the boss. The coach is not a major management position. He is on the football side of operations and that is where his expertise begins and ends. The business side always trumps the sports side.

But now I am locked in a meaningless one-on-one flame battle with a stranger, and the subject of the debate has absolutely NOTHING to do with this thread. I despise that sort of thing on forums like this.

So on that note, I bid you a pleasant afternoon.

No I think I won't take your word for it. This pretty much proves he's not a "yes sir" kind of guy. Do you really think that this would sway someone from buying a ticket or purchasing Bills merchandise? Oh God Dougs pissed I don't think I,m going to go to the Pats* game now. What ever!

No offense, but your comments here don't warrant a response.

Have a good day.

Edited by Stopthepain

Except now Florio says it was about picking up Orton "so late in preseason". These national guys can't even get it right, but if Florio is close to the truth, Schoop and Bulldog are way off.

http://profootballta...-orton-signing/

Why would you say that. To me it's consistent - someone in the front office isn't happy with how DM has been using his players, and that extends to the coach's alleged view that he'd be comfortable going into the season with Tuel as the No. 2.

If, and that's a big if, Florio is right about Marrone being upset over Orton's signing, to me the flipside is that Marrone was good to go with Jeff Tuel. That position is very hard to defend and should certainly raise a big question mark about Marrone.

Edit: The only reasonable rationalization that I can imagine for Marrone being upset with the Orton signing is the timing. If he was mad that they signed an NFL worthy backup in late August and not in June, then it's an understandable blow up. Anything else, is damning.

Edited by GG

Did anyone read WGR's write up about DM's comments regarding the report? When asked if he calls himself "Saint Doug" all he says is that "he will catch heat from friends". He never actually denied it.

But who cares, I love a little piss and vinegar attitude around the place. Too much complacency over the years.

So do you think Trump is just praying he wins the bid so he can walk into Marrone's office and yell "You're Fired!"

The caller was a TBD'er?

Dont know for sure, but wouldnt put it past a few people that randomly post here...

Can we get a do over and hire Lovie Smith?

Seriously, he was the hire we should have made. He was fired for going 10-6 and missing the playoffs, with a solid professional history, and he expressed interest in our job. It was right there in front of us. This team bungles everything. Watching him win in Tampa is going to hurt. Blech.

So lets get this straight the director of pro Personal is bothering the coach before practice. Look up Jim Monos. He has never played the game and has a journalism degree. Doug doesn't report to Jim Monos. He reports to Doug Whaley.

Jim Monos needs to know his place.

Orton signed soo late because he successfully pulled a Modern Day Bruce Smith....he didnt want to partake in off season training or training camp, instead wanted to spend time with family. He was content with the money he had, but found someone desperate to give him a few more millions to watch on the sidelines than on tv.

Orton signed soo late because he successfully pulled a Modern Day Bruce Smith....he didnt want to partake in off season training or training camp, instead wanted to spend time with family. He was content with the money he had, but found someone desperate to give him a few more millions to watch on the sidelines than on tv.

Yup, no question, Orton played his hand very very well.

@ProFootballTalk: Marrone's frustration arises from Orton signing http://t.co/s0MJ7uxf4S

If true, this is a serious indictment of Marrone and his football judgment. It would have been criminal mismanagement to go into the season with Tuel and/or Lewis as the backup QB. The fact that the starting QB's ego/feelings are so fragile is also cause for real concern.