Turmoil brewing between Marrone and Whaley?

also remember the earlier reports that coaches were frustrated that management wasnt helping them out with training/conditioning personnel and such...

I wonder if there is a thing. Whaley and Brandon carry all the weight, Marrone disagrees with a number of things (maybe including neutering the QB crop so no human on Earth can have any doubt at all EJ is the starter), and insult to injury is the guy who always has to face the media (and he has thin skin to begin with).

Who really knows though. Wait and see the 'finished' product on the field before judging.

Edited by May Day 10

• Replies 377
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Agreed, but who brought in this amateurish Syracuse contingent? Brandon, their Syracuse crony?

Whaley/Nix decided upon Marrone. Russ had input, but only to the degree that he put his 2 cents in on each candidate as far as what he liked and didn't like. Make no mistake, if Whaley/Nix wanted someone other than Marrone, Russ would've had no objections.

That said, I do think Marrone's biggest mistake thus far is putting the offense in the hands of an inexperienced kid; I had hoped that the hiring of Hostler in the offseason would help, but so far the early returns are minimal.

Thirteen pages on a message board for an 'incident' that was covered by one reporter via two tweets.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but in the 15 hours since, there hasn't been a peep about this 'incident' aside from the hand/neck wringing here.

Face it. We've all been had by the greatest Click Troll of them all: Mike Rodak.

Thirteen pages on a message board for an 'incident' that was covered by one reporter via two tweets.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but in the 15 hours since, there hasn't been a peep about this 'incident' aside from the hand/neck wringing here.

Face it. We've all been had by the greatest Click Troll of them all: Mike Rodak.

Its called the Bills are trying to cover it up. With the rest of the cluster !@#$ that is this team this is the last thing they want to address. For the record I stated I hated the Marone Hiring. I think Whaley and Brandon know they !@#$ed up that move

Its called the Bills are trying to cover it up. With the rest of the cluster !@#$ that is this team this is the last thing they want to address. For the record I stated I hated the Marone Hiring. I think Whaley and Brandon know they !@#$ed up that move

Yeah, no. We were given hardly any information to run with, but one piece was that the exchange was loud enough for REPORTERS to hear.

I am starting to miss the days of James walker over there. he was simply inept and really had no agenda.

Rodak is like reporters from the snooze a %*€£head.

Glad you put in on the record. What are they trying to cover up? Are you like news reporters who want a press conference every time someone takes a leak? Some things stay in house.

Haha; so true.

Whaley/Nix decided upon Marrone. Russ had input, but only to the degree that he put his 2 cents in on each candidate as far as what he liked and didn't like. Make no mistake, if Whaley/Nix wanted someone other than Marrone, Russ would've had no objections.

That said, I do think Marrone's biggest mistake thus far is putting the offense in the hands of an inexperienced kid; I had hoped that the hiring of Hostler in the offseason would help, but so far the early returns are minimal.

The HC search was conducted by a team led by Brandon, and while Nix was in the room, it was clear neither he nor Whaley's voice out-weighed Brandon. Marrone's introductory press conference was led by Brandon, who days before had assumed the role of team president. It was clear RB was taking control after his promotion. I think Marrone was RB's guy and the others supported his hire

This is a nuanced topic, but after the debacle in 2009-10 hiring a GM and HC, I think Russ wanted a little more control. And far be it from the outgoing GM and the then Assistant GM to tell the team president they didn't want his guy.

Regarding your second point, I agree that Hostler was brought in to assist Hackett in bringing the Offense to fruition and to the point of helping a broader-scoped understanding of play-calling and that has not "yet" materialized...personally, I'd like to see Marrone call the Offensive plays for a few games to see if the result is any different. Marrone's experience in New Orleans would seem to indicate he at least has an ability to know when to call certain plays, even assuming it was Sean Payton doing the calling Marrone would have learned a thing or two about calling plays while serving at Payton's behest....either way, it wouldn't appear to be capable of any worse and then if Marrone's play-calling improves the Offensive output of TDs, Hackett can still be the "eye in the sky" on game day and learn a little bit about what works and what doesn't, sort of like Marrone tutoring him...I like Hackett, but I also agree right now we, as fans, don't really know whether it is EJ's ineffectiveness, Offensive line issues, or simply bad play-calling that has caused the Offensive futility and Marrone calling the plays for at least the first 4 games of the year, may very well ferret out some of those issues to have a clearer understanding of those concerns....at least, IMHO I think it would help...regardless of outcome.

Again...what plays are Hackett supposed to call with a QB that locks onto the primary WR, Cant read defenses worth a damn and IF he can, he is very slow in doing so? From a mental standpoint you might as well be asking him to work with a HS QB behind center.

Hell Maybe Hackett needs to speak to the press and tell it like it is. If he is fired I would expect him to.

I give BigBuff423 props for subscribing to the notion that if you keep repeating something often enough, you're likely to get people to start believing it's the truth. Good luck with that.

My entire point was to provide links to various quotes at different times, before, during and after the Draft so people can review exactly what Buddy said and when he said, you can draw your own conclusions....but that's exactly the point. Not taking Buddy at face-value with his statements is fine with me, to each his own, but at that point all we / you are doing is speculating...otherwise, we're forced to treat his statements as fact...and in those statements Buddy owned the Draft and his choice of EJ Manuel and that he went into the Draft determined to find a QB, regardless of their issues, which are statements he made in the 1st link, I provided in the first page of this thread. Speculate, infer, conclude...up to anyone what opinion they would like to form, but the *facts* are that Buddy publicly and repeatedly stated EJ was his QB of choice....that's my only point...the rest is up for interpretation. Not trying to convince anyone of anything, only presenting the facts as they were at the time, rather than revisionist history.

Edited by BigBuff423

Man I really feel for NFL staffs in the internet age.

Not that they care what we think (thank goodness), but holy crap! Can't even have an old fashioned passionate debate or argument without media leeches speculating on it and it spilling down to internet vultures/ fans.

Thank for this post

so then we need to attribute the Hughes trade, Alonso, Woods, Goodwin, Meeks, d00k Williams, and Gragg to Nix as well?

Don't be silly. All those players wound up in Buffalo by accident. They took the wrong exit on the Thruway.

Edited by PromoTheRobot

FWIW, here is a link to a story ESPN did just prior to the Draft speaking with Buddy Nix about his thoughts on the QBs in that draft class:

http://espn.go.com/nfl/draft2013/story/_/id/9211442/2013-nfl-draft-buffalo-bills-gm-buddy-nix-hopes-land-franchise-quarterback

Another link on NFL Network about trading "up" to get a QB....he seemed pretty intent to me:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000111083/article/buddy-nix-buffalo-bills-should-trade-up-for-qb-in-draft

And here's another where Buddy owns the EJ pick along with refusing any idea or notion of when he would step down:

http://www.buffalobills.com/news/article-2/Buddy-Nix-Doug-Marrone-comment-on-Bills-2013-Draft/1cdcc444-216a-4d1a-8d4e-d459ff58c670

And another, this will be the last one for now, where Buddy talks about how he picked EJ and what they liked and didn't:

http://www.buffalobills.com/news/article-2/Buddy-Nix-and-Doug-Marrone-comment-on-drafting-EJ-Manuel/f1c81a79-1804-4e0e-99dc-48a109e7ff6f

Thanks for this. May have been a consensus pick but, as I always thought, Buddy was the boss and the man in charge.

Still scratching my head tho. If he's not Doug's guy why has he done so much forward planning ie Watkins, on the assumption that EJ will pan out? If he didn't own the pick in the beginning looks to me to have bought in big time.

Loved Buddy's comment on how accurate a passer EJ was. One of the things he most liked about him.

Well, he does have huge hands I suppose.