RUSH!

loedward22

Agree with the poster who talked about RUsh and Ann being loudmouths. I like Maher cuz despite his ideals, his show is comedy. They are all an act. Especially when Maher admits to hanging out with Coulter when she is in town. I couldnt imagine two people on opposing polars getting along!

And Rush is one great band. Such talent. Could you imagine if they actually had a real singer?

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Agree with the poster who talked about RUsh and Ann being loudmouths. I like Maher cuz despite his ideals, his show is comedy. They are all an act. Especially when Maher admits to hanging out with Coulter when she is in town. I couldnt imagine two people on opposing polars getting along!

And Rush is one great band. Such talent. Could you imagine if they actually had a real singer?

The obnoxious shrieking of Geddy Lee's "voice" makes Rush unlistenable. They should put that poor animal out of his misery. There are other reasons to hate them, of course. IMO---that does without saying.

so i take it you have no political stance then.. you, like another poster, choose not to listen?.. good for you.. in my case i have strong political beliefs and do listen to various outlets and make my own judgments..

I laugh at ppl who refuse to listen to Rush and then tout their open-minded views. My self proclaimed, open-minded coworker has blocked foxnews on his own cable box. He has actually censored himself... smh...

I'm like you and generally listen, watch, read from a variety of places. It's never been easier than it is right now.

The obnoxious shrieking of Geddy Lee's "voice" makes Rush unlistenable. They should put that poor animal out of his misery. There are other reasons to hate them, of course. IMO---that does without saying.

There are some songs where he is not bad., Closer to the Heart was awesome...However, Geddy's singing performance at the HOF awards was horrible.

Im not sure who I like more, Hannity, Rush or Glen Beck? I loved that colmes liberal dude who was a lame duck on the Hannity and Colmes show.

I laugh at ppl who refuse to listen to Rush and then tout their open-minded views. My self proclaimed, open-minded coworker has blocked foxnews on his own cable box. He has actually censored himself... smh...

I'm like you and generally listen, watch, read from a variety of places. It's never been easier than it is right now.

very well said.. isnt it amazing that the so-called "open minded people" cannot stand fox news! why? because they do not tote the company line? .. it is laughable for sure.. fox is the big bad wolf..anyway, i better stop before i get another warning point.. Edited by dwight in philly

Be cool or be cast out, mfers.

See, I think you don't have to have a perfect or smooth voice to have something musical going on. I know we differ on this, but Tom Waits sounds like's gargled a basket of nails and I still would rather listen to him sing than Donald Fagen. Hell, I mean, Josh Groban has a heck of a voice but is his music something you return to?

To each one's own.

Some of my best friends have political beliefs that couldn't be much further from my own.

Good work is the key to good fortune

Winners take that praise

Losers seldom take that blame

Thats not bad !

Someone's been drinking too many black cows. :lol:

Then just get outta here. With your Big Black Cow

Well done 26 .

This thread reminds me of a question I heard asked on an Army promotion board. The board member asked the soldier to tell him about Beirut. Beirut? he replied. Well I think he was one of the greatest baseball players of all time. True story.

No band in history has tried harder to not suck than Steely Dan. They cornered the market on not sucking.

Anti suck ??

That Les Claypool is really odd. But he is very very talented. I cant listen to it anymore though.

Just like Rush. the other Rush. firestarter Rush oxycondoneing Rush . who the hell calls themselves Rush anyways.

Might as well Name a Boy Sue

This thread reminds me of a question I heard asked on an Army promotion board. The board member asked the soldier to tell him about Beirut. Beirut? he replied. Well I think he was one of the greatest baseball players of all time. True story.

LoL that is Good !!

Ps it wasnt Leodis was it ?

Edited by 3rdand12

No band in history has tried harder to not suck than Steely Dan. They cornered the market on not sucking.

For the record I don't actually believe that either band sucks, just kind of boring/uninspiring IMO. However, since wawrow and dean get to toss out their obligatory "Rush sucks" in the Rush thread that arises every six months or so, and we don't typically get Steely Dan or Replacements threads, I used this opportunity to respond in kind.

I used to think so, too - Lee's tenor/falsetto was just grating, "Fly By Night" was awful, and "Tom Sawyer" was overplayed crap. Then I picked up their greatest hits at one of Amazon's MP3 sales. Then I realized they had a lot more songs I liked than I realized. Then I bought "2112." Then I realized they're some really, REALLY great professional musicians. And realized that I didn't hate Rush.

But I still truly hate "Fly By Night," song and album. Not as much as Tom Petty, but still, quite a bit...

I used to think so, too - Lee's tenor/falsetto was just grating, "Fly By Night" was awful, and "Tom Sawyer" was overplayed crap. Then I picked up their greatest hits at one of Amazon's MP3 sales. Then I realized they had a lot more songs I liked than I realized. Then I bought "2112." Then I realized they're some really, REALLY great professional musicians. And realized that I didn't hate Rush.

But I still truly hate "Fly By Night," song and album. Not as much as Tom Petty, but still, quite a bit...

If you criticize Fly By Night and laud 2112, then you haven't listened to both albums. They are both concept albums. They both run the gamut, as far as in your face rock and ballads. Geddy Lee's voice is the same in each album. It was not falsetto, by the way. Not even close.

The two albums were released within 14 months of each other. It's not like it was a Zeppelin II to Zeppelin III separation. They styles, guitar playing, singing, concept, drums and production were nearly identical.

It's practically impossible to like one and not the other.

If you criticize Fly By Night and laud 2112, then you haven't listened to both albums. They are both concept albums. They both run the gamut, as far as in your face rock and ballads. Geddy Lee's voice is the same in each album. It was not falsetto, by the way. Not even close.

The two albums were released within 14 months of each other. It's not like it was a Zeppelin II to Zeppelin III separation. They styles, guitar playing, singing, concept, drums and production were nearly identical.

It's practically impossible to like one and not the other.

Except 2112 is a much much better album.

2112 is my favorite Rush album. I'm not sure I'd agree with "much, much better," but I do like it more. My point to Tom was that 2112 was not a separation from Fly By Night as far as style, singing dynamics, etc. So it doesn't make sense for one to think that Fly By Night sucks, but that 2112 is awesome.

It's kind of like saying you like one Phish song, but dislike another Phish song.

2112 is my favorite Rush album. I'm not sure I'd agree with "much, much better," but I do like it more. My point to Tom was that 2112 was not a separation from Fly By Night as far as style, singing dynamics, etc. So it doesn't make sense for one to think that Fly By Night sucks, but that 2112 is awesome.

It's kind of like saying you like one Phish song, but dislike another Phish song.

Phish has "songs?" I thought they just sort of had one song that never ends.

It's separation enough that Fly By Night sucks, and 2112 is awesome.

Then I bought "2112." Then I realized they're some really, REALLY great professional musicians. And realized that I didn't hate Rush.

they were touring that album when I first saw them live in Rochester, opening for Blue Oyster Cult. they played the entire side 1 from 2112. it absolutely destroyed. for my taste, 2112 is the best thing they've ever done.

are you sure you're not getting 'Fly By Night' and 'Caress of Steel' mixed up? FBN was their first album with Peart on the drums, and they won a Juno (basically a Canadian grammy) for it. COS had the whole 'fountain of lamneth' and 'the necromancer' on it, and was much more a concept album than was FBN.

this 100%.

Edited by Azalin

they were touring that album when I first saw them live in Rochester, opening for Blue Oyster Cult. they played the entire side 1 from 2112. it absolutely destroyed. for my taste, 2112 is the best thing they've ever done.

are you sure you're not getting 'Fly By Night' and 'Caress of Steel' mixed up? FBN was their first album with Peart on the drums, and they won a Juno (basically a Canadian grammy) for it. COS had the whole 'fountain of lamneth' and 'the necromancer' on it, and was much more a concept album than was FBN.

this 100%.

No, definitely not confusing COS with FBN. You are correct, that it's not as much of a concept album as 2112, but musically/stylistically it is very close.

2112, FBN, COS ... my favorite 3 Rush albums in order.

Fly By Night was their first attempt at story/concept album with By-tor and the Snow dog--at under nine minutes it's a short story to be sure, but there's four parts to it.lol.