Bills Release Alan Branch After DWI Arrest

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

More dead cap $ sucks for the Bills.

I hear ya. My point was that is the kind of guy he always was. He signed with the Seahawks for two years at $8m. He signed with the bills last year for one year at 3m. It wasn't like this was the first time he had money. He didn't look all that great from what I remember at Seattle until game time in the regular season and playoffs and then he turned it on. He didn't wow anyone last year in preseason and then in the regular season was a solid contributor, enough to re-sign him as a backup for over 3m again. I'm not sure anyone could have predicted this.

Yeah. It's that "reason" that I am looking for. Seems… asinine? Near-sighted? Crippling?

The Bills are not going to be in danger of going over the cap. The dead money really has no effect on anything this year. You could say it could open up money to re-sign some players but there really aren't any that I think the team wants to do now. Spiller doesn't have an agent and you want to see what he does this year. Dareus you need to know if he can stay out of trouble. Hughes is really hard to do now because of money tied up on DL and he has had one good year. Cordy still has two years left. And if they wanted to sign one of them they easily could right now.

Tired if these guys who act like this. They are given free transportation by the team if they need it. Probably past his curfew anyway.

Came into camp out of shape and was probably in trouble of making the team anyway. Someone will give him a shot at some point.

Edited by davefan66

This is gold...I am going to assume that he knew he was going to get cut and was drowing his sorrow out...

Retweeted by Tim Graham

F4UP7XmM_bigger.jpegMike Rodak@mikerodak 2m

The AP reports that NY State Police arrested Alan Branch for DUI around 2AM Saturday after he was vomiting out the side door of his car.

With that kind of behavior he'll fit right in with fans at the Ralph

Edited by Joe_the_6_pack

Well he walks away $3.1 to the good but he's walking away from $9 mil for playing a game for a couple more years. Sh#t for brains.

He surely won't get the same contract but he will be playing the next 3 years. Probably on a 1 year deal this year though.

Wonder if they go after any of the signing bonus? He missed all of the off season workouts and was arrested. They might have a case...

It's a dick move but it might be warranted in this instance. Depends on how the team feels it would affect morale. There are more players than Branch on this team making mistakes...

It's a dick move but it might be warranted in this instance. Depends on how the team feels it would affect morale. There are more players than Branch on this team making mistakes...

not at all, look what he did. gets a sign on bonus, doesn't show up for camp, is out of shape, and then cruises around town drunk

Wonder if they go after any of the signing bonus? He missed all of the off season workouts and was arrested. They might have a case...

i really hope they do. i know it's a business and that everyone is out for their own, and that you can't really translate football "what if's" to daily life for the working class. but alan branch did everything he possibly could to get himself fired short of p!$$ing on the coaches shoes. this dude did not "earn" a damn nickel of that contract extension.

The AP reports that NY State Police arrested Alan Branch for DUI around 2AM Saturday after he was vomiting out the side door of his car.

Wow... If one is going draw attention to yourself on the side of the road... @ least hide the keys so the police can't find them.

Which leads me to ask... Where was the car? In a parking spot or along a road?

not at all, look what he did. gets a sign on bonus, doesn't show up for camp, is out of shape, and then cruises around town drunk

Seriously, he missed VOLUNTARY offseason workouts. He showed up to camp (albeit arbitrarily out of shape in the eyes of the coaches), but he did show up to camp.

i really hope they do. i know it's a business and that everyone is out for their own, and that you can't really translate football "what if's" to daily life for the working class. but alan branch did everything he possibly could to get himself fired short of p!$$ing on the coaches shoes. this dude did not "earn" a damn nickel of that contract extension.

It's called guaranteed money for a reason. Branch received his penalty; he was fired. I would be more interested at this time in looking at Doug Whaley and his scouts - how the hell did they misjudge this situation so poorly?

Seriously, he missed VOLUNTARY offseason workouts. He showed up to camp (albeit arbitrarily out of shape in the eyes of the coaches), but he did show up to camp.

It's called guaranteed money for a reason. Branch received his penalty; he was fired. I would be more interested at this time in looking at Doug Whaley and his scouts - how the hell did they misjudge this situation so poorly?

Ummmm... because he played more than three straight years of good solid football when the games counted?

The contract was four years at a little under 3 million a year. he made 4 million per year at Seattle and 3m last year with the Bills. So it is not an outrageous contract by any measure. Just under 4m is guaranteed, so of course, without him playing this year at all, it is bad deal in retrospect. But saying they should have known, when he played well and made more or as much in the last few years, is unfair.

Only if there is language in his contract that allows them too, I would guess.

Wow... If one is going draw attention to yourself on the side of the road... @ least hide the keys so the police can't find them.

Which leads me to ask... Where was the car? In a parking spot or along a road?

He should keep a heads up for the #13 car......

I don't. I think the team should be penalized for misreading a player's character so badly. By way of comparison, I'm a Yankees fan, and I don't want them to get off the hook for the horrible A-Rod deal they committed to in late 2007.

It would be pretty difficult. The Patriots are fighting tooth and nail to block payment of Hernandez's remaining signing bonus, and that's a much more severe case. The NFLPA is vehemently against these attempts - they don't want to start a precedent of teams suing to recoup "guaranteed" money.

But saying they should have known, when he played well and made more or as much in the last few years, is unfair.

This issue I have is not the amount, but the timing of the deal. Looking back, there was no immediate need to resign him at the end of December. His place on the field became an immediate question mark as soon as Pettine left, and if Whaley had waited until the NFL season ended, he could have better assessed the situation. Maybe that's hindsight though, but I don't think there was that much urgency to sign a situational lineman. Look for him to sign with the Jets/Browns/Saints on a 1yr prove-it deal after this arrest.

Landon Cohen ! Come on down !

5 beers in one hour. 5 shots . five glasses of wine pick the poison. any of those. in one hour.

or ten beers over 5 hours. etc etc.

like i said . he is weak . weight has little to do with how the kidneys process alcohol :beer:

who is raji playing for again ? we need a fat kid !

Well, just in case it hasn't already been posted, body weight does indeed play a part in this. A 100 pound woman will register a higher alcohol % than a 300 pound man, when consuming the same amount of alcohol.

5 beers (at 5% alcohol) in one hour probably would register about a .06 on a 300 lb man, according to the converters online. On a 100 lb person you would be completely trashed, .21.

http://www.onlinecon...ion.com/bac.htm

It's just one of the reasons I like to keep a on few extra pounds. :lol:

Edited by The Dean

Well, just in case it hasn't already been posted, body weight does indeed play a part in this. A 100 pound woman will register a higher alcohol % than a 300 pound man, when consuming the same amount of alcohol.

5 beers (at 5% alcohol) in one hour probably would register about a .06 on a 300 lb man, according to the converters online. On a 100 lb person you would be completely trashed, .21.

http://www.onlinecon...ion.com/bac.htm

It's just one of the reasons I like to keep a on few extra pounds. :lol:

Thank you for explaining this. It all books down to a bigger person having more blood.