Colt Lyerla Waived by Packers

That the Pack waived him and didn't IR him tell me that he hasn't shown enough to warrant developing him in the future. To go along with his other issues. But it would be a low investment/risk pickup.

Waived Injured means they are going to put him on IR after he clears waivers.

I can only guess that they hope he clears waivers and they can put him on the PS and save money.

If he clears waivers he will be put on IR and they can either negotiate an injury settlement or pay him the full season salary.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can only guess that they hope he clears waivers and they can put him on the PS and save money.

Here is the little blurb.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/08/19/packers-waive-injured-colt-lyerla/

It seems that they told him that they were going to waive him, injured, where he would get an injury settlement if he wants to take it, and would then become a free agent. But that they would prefer to IR him for the whole season. I guess it is his choice. That may have something to do with the fact it is training camp and just one of the 90 on the roster.

I'm really unsure of the intricacies of why they want to or would have to do that.

Why does this guy get so much attention? I don't remember ever seeing him play but his stats don't jump off the page at me or anything. Add that to him getting kicked off the team at Oregon and then undrafted and cut by the Packers, doesn't sound too encouraging

Probably the only place this guys gets a lot of attention is on this board.

Waived Injured means they are going to put him on IR after he clears waivers.

If he clears waivers he will be put on IR and they can either negotiate an injury settlement or pay him the full season salary.

So then, why not IR him outright? If they really liked him, they would just do that and avoid the possibility of him being picked up on waivers.

nah. Not sure he's worth it. JMO.

You may be right. I wasn't suggesting we do anything, I'm really just wondering how this process works--it the Bills did claim him, and won, would they have to put him on the roster? Because if they could stash him on the PS, they could see if he is worth the trouble when he is healthy. MIGHT be a good used of the 10 player PS.

Edited by The Dean

Why does this guy get so much attention? I don't remember ever seeing him play but his stats don't jump off the page at me or anything. Add that to him getting kicked off the team at Oregon and then undrafted and cut by the Packers, doesn't sound too encouraging

...his name sounds like a gram positive bacteria!

The Packers have observed this kid's potential, and like what they see... He won't win any character awards anytime soon, but sometimes a troglodyte is just what the doctor ordered. -15 years and counting, people...

Let me get this straight, a guy who just tore up his knee is heading to IR, IS NOT GOING TO PLAY THIS YEAR, has major concerns about him, and went unclaimed by 31 other teams is the Bills reason for not making the playoffs.

DAMNIT BUFFALO!!!

I don't ever want to be in a position where I'm expected to cheer for a person who ardently believes that the Sandy Hook shootings were a farce perpetrated by the government and who feels no qualms calling those families liars.

http://dailyemerald.com/2013/03/21/uo-football-player-colt-lyerla-tweets-controversial-conspiracy-theory-about-sandy-hook-shooting/

So then, why not IR him outright? If they really liked him, they would just do that and avoid the possibility of him being picked up on waivers.

I didn't have any luck finding the rules, but I think in order to get him right to IR they would have had to keep him on the 53 man roster into the first game, then afterwards they could put him directly on IR. It's similar to what happened with the 6th round rookie the Patriots claimed after being Injured / Waived a few weeks ago.

I didn't have any luck finding the rules, but I think in order to get him right to IR they would have had to keep him on the 53 man roster into the first game, then afterwards they could put him directly on IR. It's similar to what happened with the 6th round rookie the Patriots claimed after being Injured / Waived a few weeks ago.

Okay, that makes more sense. Thanks.

I don't ever want to be in a position where I'm expected to cheer for a person who ardently believes that the Sandy Hook shootings were a farce perpetrated by the government and who feels no qualms calling those families liars.

http://dailyemerald.com/2013/03/21/uo-football-player-colt-lyerla-tweets-controversial-conspiracy-theory-about-sandy-hook-shooting/

Yup. Karma.

• 2 weeks later...